C C programming best IDE for FreeBSD -- can't find one

Ultimate++
http://www.ultimatepp.org/ (mod: It might be better if you included the port: devel/upp)

"
U++ is a C++ cross-platform rapid application development framework focused on programmers productivity. It includes a set of libraries (GUI, SQL, etc.), and an integrated development environment.

Rapid development is achieved by the smart and aggressive use of C++ rather than through fancy code generators. In this respect, U++ competes with popular scripting languages while preserving C/C++ runtime characteristics.

The U++ integrated development environment, TheIDE, introduces modular concepts to C++ programming. It features BLITZ-build technology to speedup C++ rebuilds up to 4 times, Visual designers for U++ libraries, a Topic++ system for documenting code and creating rich text resources for applications (like help and code documentation) and Assist++ - a powerful C++ code analyzer that provides features like code completion, navigation and transformation.

TheIDE can work with GCC, Clang, MinGW and Visual C++ and contains a full featured debugger. TheIDE can also be used to develop non-U++ applications.
" -http://www.ultimatepp.org/index.html
This is the most complete RAD IDE for C++ I could find, it is also very easy to install.

It is also open source

I have recently been using editors/codelite, it is nice enough and fast. But it also has the problem of not remembering the on-disc line numbers when fixing things. But maybe it is better suited to have it added.

I have been using editors/codelite for some time now, and find it impressive. After converting 90% of my coworkers to this (there is the resistance of vi users, you know ;) ), I really need to arrange for the company to make some donation there. It really saves us a lot of trouble and time.

Do you know why codelite is not in the ports collection anymore?

Ultimate++
http://www.ultimatepp.org/ (mod: It might be better if you included the port: devel/upp)

"​
U++ is a C++ cross-platform rapid application development framework focused on programmers productivity. It includes a set of libraries (GUI, SQL, etc.), and an integrated development environment.​
Rapid development is achieved by the smart and aggressive use of C++ rather than through fancy code generators. In this respect, U++ competes with popular scripting languages while preserving C/C++ runtime characteristics.​
The U++ integrated development environment, TheIDE, introduces modular concepts to C++ programming. It features BLITZ-build technology to speedup C++ rebuilds up to 4 times, Visual designers for U++ libraries, a Topic++ system for documenting code and creating rich text resources for applications (like help and code documentation) and Assist++ - a powerful C++ code analyzer that provides features like code completion, navigation and transformation.​
TheIDE can work with GCC, Clang, MinGW and Visual C++ and contains a full featured debugger. TheIDE can also be used to develop non-U++ applications.​
This is the most complete RAD IDE for C++ I could find, it is also very easy to install.

It is also open source
Do still use it? I want to learn C++, but I don't want to build a "whole" IDE on Emacs right now.

Wow, there are still developers around who remember the fun of Borland C++ 3.11!
How about Borland C++ 2.0? I started there, optimizing C/C++ code in Assembly and stll miss the clean and straightforward interface that ran on 286 with 1 MB RAM.
That would be me.
I own every single Borland product from its first inception.

I wrote a ton of TASM back in those day.
After decades of work, I have a huge library of routines, all written in Delphi-7 / Borland Pascal.

I have Lazarus on my development machine for years, but have not taken it out for a spin yet.... no need for it yet.
I don't really have a need for 64-bit code, so D7 continues to work just fine for everything I write.

In some ways a necro thread like this is a good reminder that large IDEs are more likely to become unmaintained compared to lighter, more portable text editors?

The IDE ecosystem has changed considerably in the last six years. VS Code is now the "new hotness" and Vi/Vim is still aging like a fine wine.

kpedersen Interesting take on IDEs (I don't disagree). Personally, I've never found an IDE I was comfortable with (regardless of language). I've tended to migrate to vi/emacs with multiple windows to grep and make in.

The last IDE I used and like a lot was Turbo series (C, Pascal, Basic) from Borland under (PC|DR|MS)-DOS. Now I am stuck with emacs as editor and multiples terminals for Unix tools.

I want to learn C++, but I don't want to build a "whole" IDE on Emacs right now.
Especially for learning, forget the IDE. Forget plugins/scripts/etc for Emacs (or vim). It probably won't be too much of an issue for learning the language (btw, do you already know C? If not, I would recommend to learn that first ...), but it will certainly get in the way learning the tools.

Instead, start writing some source file. Compile it with cc (or c++). Learn the basic options of the compiler's command line. Learn how to compile to object files and link them later to a binary. Write some basic Makefile to automate that. Maybe look at other build systems (I won't recommend any here, but e.g. cmake became quite popular). Learn using a commandline debugger (gdb, lldb ...).

Once you have a good grip on the tooling, you can decide whether you want an IDE (or some "helpful" plugins etc for your editor). But starting to use that stuff from the beginning will hide from you how things really work.

do you already know C?
No, I'm kind of learning the basics of both to decide better which one I will take a deep dive first. But I will follow your advice and learn C first.

Instead, start writing some source file. Compile it with cc (or c++). Learn the basic options of the compiler's command line. Learn how to compile to object files and link them later to a binary. Write some basic Makefile to automate that. Maybe look at other build systems (I won't recommend any here, but e.g. cmake became quite popular). Learn using a commandline debugger (gdb, lldb ...).
That actually makes sense, because I want to learn C/C++ to code shit for FreeBSD. So learning the native tools are the best approach indeed.

I have a huge library of script functions I've written over the years.
These are for the CMD processor in Windows, then later for Powershell under the same.

I have many, many working scripts that incorporate these library functions.
So, I wrote a MAKE utility that reads the parent script file, then imports the latest library routine where specified in the parent script.
This is very useful after making a change to a library file, and thus avoiding rebuilding 20+ scripts that use that library routine.

Almost everything I write today is console based, and not GUI.
I assume this concept could be applied equally well to unix scripts.

In 2015 wblock@ answered to someone here on the forums: „I have heard that vague generalizations are often wrong in the details.“

This observation seems to fit very well to all kinds of answers and comments on this thread. Perhaps, because people do have different takes on what an IDE actually would be. The most common generalization seems to be that everything is an IDE which is not vi/vim/emacs. In other words, this thread is missing specifications.

My specifications on what I need besides the editor for programming in C alike languages (C, Objective-C, C++) is in the order of priority:
  1. Symbolic debugging, which lets you step through the code and shows the changes of the variables -- lldb tui (gui) had this, but in recent incarnations this has been totally borked by a LSD junky.

2. Project’s code files organization. My organization principle is called FEWS „find everything without searching“. The one of my wife is called SSFN „search for something and find it or not“. The only prerequisite for FEWS is, you need to remember where you stowed your stuff, that means in this respect, visually organized the files in the projects, i.e. one click away from FEWS. The file system hierarchy surely resembles more for SSFN, and this is for girlies, who don't even remember what happened 8 days ago, let alone 8 years ago.

3. SCM integration with visual side by side diffs and one-click line by line reverting facility.

4. Refactoring facility.

5. Font size adjustment. Usually the default sizes are for allowing reading for the blind. For coding I would like to be able to adjust the editor to something like Andale Mono 9pt (from x11-fonts/webfonts).
Mainly that's it.

My specifications on what I need for progamming in C alike languages (C, Objective-C, C++) is in the order of priority:

But most of these things may be distributed on in different tools instead of on one "IDE".

And to have different specialized tools is more UNIX.

BTW. My way of debugging is experimenting with the source, making experiments with change,
recompiling and seeing what comes. The idea to run step by step a program sounded me always
horrible, I never tried it.

The last IDE I used and like a lot was Turbo series (C, Pascal, Basic) from Borland under (PC|DR|MS)-DOS. Now I am stuck with emacs as editor and multiples terminals for Unix tools.
You might be better off in the long term trying to configure emacs to do exactly what you want.

There are over 5,000 packages available which could greatly simplify/imrove productivity whilst using an editor.

https://melpa.org/

Back