Solved browsers hangs up and crash

Hello, I am new to the forum, so this is my first post :)

The problem is, every browser that I use first hangs up and then crash with:
Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
And the second problem is that Thunar close up in background, while I use other applications (and vice verse) for example, I am using Thunar and lilyterm and firefox crash, or I am using firefox and Thunar close

The browsers are: midori, firefox-esr and chromium, all installed using packages.

the .core files don't reveal much:

gdb core thunar.core gives me:
Code:
Core was generated by `thunar'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x0000000803e4e50a in ?? ()
and

gdb core firefox.core gives me:
Code:
Core was generated by `firefox'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
#0  0x000000080211cf65 in ?? ()

I tested in my notebook and in three machines, all of them used FreeBSD 11 with basic sysctl/loader.conf optimizations:

loader.conf:
Code:
#Boot-time kernel tuning
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
kern.maxproc=10000
kern.hz=100
kern.cam.boot_delay="100"
kern.cam.scsi_delay="100"
sysctl.conf:
Code:
kern.sched.preempt_thresh=220
as window manager I use fvwm

Xorg is irrelevant because I have Intel and NVidia cards, and the problem is in all machines.

Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
This is a symptom of hardware problem ... the fact that all browsers have problems is an hint about a system wide issue too.

I would say to run a memory test, to start with.

Also, not sure about those two, the others look like not relevant. Try remove them and use the defaults.
Code:
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024

Check your dmesg output for additional hints.

Chromium require this sysctl:
Code:
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

There are lot of side effects which impact basic usage of desktop manager.
Yes, you've hinted at that in the PR already. Can you go into more detail what the side effects are exactly? Are they worse than apps that unpredictably crash all the time? What is the solution to this problem in your opinion? Who is working on it? Is there going to be a blessed solution soon?

The libinotify patch has been a boon for me and is basically the reason I still use FreeBSD on the desktop.

I agree with tobik@. I switched back to Fedora from FreeBSD mostly because I got tired of file managers (Caja, Thunar) and Firefox crashes.

I agree with tobik@. I switched back to Fedora from FreeBSD mostly because I got tired of file managers (Caja, Thunar) and Firefox crashes.

What does not means you do not have a memory problem. FreeBSD use memory differently than Linux, you may have memory problem that will never appear on Linux but create a lot of problems on a FreeBSD installation.

When I switched my old server from Linux to FreeBSD I had a lot of trouble due to memory issues I didn't have on Linux. A memtest confirmed it and with the new memory I do not have any problems so far, and it is running 24/7 since months.

Also, my workstation still Gentoo while the current KDE do not land on Ports. I am running a FreeBSD installation with Mate Desktop on virtual box what I am using a lot to make tests, with absolutely zero problems.

Cheers!

Same here, Firefox never crashes for me. I am building it with gtk2 though, and rust. On my phone so can't see the other build options at the moment. Possible to build without rust and with gtk3 I think but not tried that combo.

This is a symptom of hardware problem ... the fact that all browsers have problems is an hint about a system wide issue too.

I would say to run a memory test, to start with.

Also, not sure about those two, the others look like not relevant. Try remove them and use the defaults.
Code:
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024

Check your dmesg output for additional hints.

Chromium require this sysctl:
Code:

I will try to use the system without modifications,but it's a coincidence that is happen in 3 machines(to discard memory problems or other hardware problem)

Code:

Yes, I'm already using that variable

That sounds like this problem with devel/glib20's kqueue backend: PR 199872.

I recommend trying out Vladimir Kondratyev's patch.

I'll prove that as a last resort...goes beyond my knowledge
for now i compile fvwm from ports and install firefox (not firefox-esr)..still waiting for crash..so far so good

the file manager crash is not so often

For now everything is ok, with fvwm and firefox compiled from ports, maybe the problem is the window manager? In the notebook is stable and in my machine from work too. Always I download the source from fvwm.org and compile from there. I'll be testing for 2 weeks. If work without problems I close the post for "solved".

I believe there was a separate bug with x11-fm/thunar that causes it to crash under certain circumstances but can't recall the bug at the moment. I believe it had to do with renaming files. It's referenced in a thread here somewhere...not sure if your crash was under similar conditions.

Always I download the source from fvwm.org and compile from there.
Thus, the potential problem. Software that is in ports or packages repositories are built and tested to run on FreeBSD. Such things downloaded from the original source may not be and come with no guarantees that everything is in its place.

bad news, the crash start again, fvwm and firefox from ports, firefox build without "optimized_cflags" option

Yes, you've hinted at that in the PR already. Can you go into more detail what the side effects are exactly? Are they worse than apps that unpredictably crash all the time? What is the solution to this problem in your opinion? Who is working on it? Is there going to be a blessed solution soon?

The libinotify patch has been a boon for me and is basically the reason I still use FreeBSD on the desktop.

can you send me a link to that patch?

Would you be willing to try a version of the 10.x branch (e.g. 10.3) instead of 11.x and install from packages only?

I've been using Fvwm for many years and it's never crashed, not even once. In fact I almost never experience any crashes. It only happens from time to time with applications that are under heavy development so ... nothing unusual.

Would you be willing to try a version of the 10.x branch (e.g. 10.3) instead of 11.x and install from packages only?

I've been using Fvwm for many years and it's never crashed, not even once. In fact I almost never experience any crashes. It only happens from time to time with applications that are under heavy development so ... nothing unusual.

the crash from firefox is like a karma thing,started with freebsd 10(this is where i come down from debian)..
i discover that fvwm has nothing to do with the firefox crashes,now i using Seamonkey , the start is more faster

Back