Braswell GPU support

I upgraded my FreeBSD server from 11.1 to 11.2 a couple of days ago. The main reason I did so was in the hope that I would finally get accelerated graphics working but I've had no such luck. The mobo is a Gigabyte N3150-N D3V which I think uses a Braswell GPU. I have the i915kms module loaded in rc.conf and xorg-video-intel is installed but when I try to start X I get the error:
Code:
[  1598.352] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[  1598.352] (EE) No devices detected.
In the Xorg.log. When I manually load i915kms nothing gets printed to STDOUT so I think I'm out of luck?

Should braswell GPUs work under 11.2? If so then maybe I should report this as a bug?

Because it's the lowest, still supported version. So the packages are built for 11.1 or nobody still running 11.1 would be able to update their packages (pkg(8) will complain about the ABI version). Running 11.1 packages on 11.2 is generally not a problem except for a handful of kernel modules.

I've installed drm-next-kmod from ports (which required I install the kernel source too to build it) but I'm still getting the same errors ie:
Code:
[    92.562] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    92.563] (EE) No devices detected.
[    92.563] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    92.563] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[    92.563] (EE)

Do I also need to install xorg from ports too?

Could you please post the whole Xorg.0.log to Pastebin (or something similar)? You can use misc/pastebinit to easily do this from the command line.

You mentioned you added i915kms to rc.conf, did you use this?
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

If you only have i915kms (without a path) it's probably trying to load the wrong module from /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko instead.

Yes SirDice, the rc.conf module path was incorrect.

After correcting that though I now get a GPU HANG error and kernel dump at boot so it looks like I'll have to file a bug report.

IMG_20180714_020734.jpg

I was unsure about it myself but thats what the error says to do. I'd imagine its because thats the xorg bugtracker and this is more xorg than it is freebsd, even though it is FBSD specific.

Always post on the FreeBSD bugs first unless some dev tell you to do somewhere else. In general, nobody cares (or simply can't help) about what happens on FreeBSD other than ourselves. ;)

[EDIT]

Also, I never had the curiosity to look on Xorg ports but I guess those are heavy patched to work on FreeBSD.

I've now tried both the stable and next branches of the drm kmod but neither have been successful at getting vaapi to work under mpv with my GPU. I have at least finally found the right place to report the bug, after a tip off from the dev himself:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/86

EDIT

I have closed my earlier bug reports for this on freedesktop.org and bugs.freebsd.org.

Back