bhyve Bhyve can't pass thru any of my NVIDIA graphic cards to an Ubuntu bhyved os : the vm freezes before recognizing the disk

Ah, your screenshot shows that you're trying to get base.txz from /mnt/usr... If you're booting from a USB stick to install, the install files should be on the stick. Alternatively, if you only use the minimal bootonly.iso to boot, I'd expect the installer to have progressed past detecting your network card. In any event, it seems like the installer is looking in the wrong place for base.txz...

what I did is easy. I've got this file : FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20210805-f3a3b061216-248478-disc1.iso and I've dd it on the usb stick. It detected and configured correcrtly the network but it is not able to grab any file. what u suggest me to do ?

sure,there is no obligation to help,but from this choice follow some inevitably consequences. For example,you hold the circulation of ideas and this is contrary to the principle that rules the open licenses, both GPL and BSD. It is at least an inconsistent and unpolite behavior towards those persons who breaks their asses to learn.
y'know, I'm actually all for open licenses and open flow of ideas. If you know what you're doing, and don't get in the way, you're most welcome to participate. But even Richard Stallman had to step away from FSF, and Linus Torvalds had to take a break for sensitivity training.

what I did is easy. I've got this file : FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20210805-f3a3b061216-248478-disc1.iso and I've dd it on the usb stick. It detected and configured correcrtly the network but it is not able to grab any file. what u suggest me to do ?
I'd suggest re-starting the install, and pay attention - at some point the installer will ask you to specify a FreeBSD repo. Oh, and make sure your ethernet cable is actually plugged in - not noticing simple details can really derail an adventure ;) Another thing you can do is grab a fresh installer image - or even go for 13-RELEASE instead.

y'know, I'm actually all for open licenses and open flow of ideas. If you know what you're doing, and don't get in the way, you're most welcome to participate. But even Richard Stallman had to step away from FSF, and Linus Torvalds had to take a break for sensitivity training.

you know,some years ago I wrote a thesis in psychology comparing linus torvalds and ....sigmund freud because they have opposite personalities that I wanted to analyze :D. Torvalds moved away from Stallman's position because it was too radical and radical positions are always bound to produce small groups of people who can't keep up with evolution. Linus is only interested in Linux development. If he hadn't opened up to closed software, Linux would now still be a niche operating system. The truth is in between. It is not good to keep all the knowledge inside us nor to spread it entirely, because otherwise there will be those who have the skills that will steal it and they will not give you nothing in return.

I'd suggest re-starting the install, and pay attention - at some point the installer will ask you to specify a FreeBSD repo. Oh, and make sure your ethernet cable is actually plugged in - not noticing simple details can really derail an adventure ;) Another thing you can do is grab a fresh installer image - or even go for 13-RELEASE instead.

It seems that it's not a good idea to use the 14-current. it will stop working for sure at some point. I'm not able to find the fix at that level. I think that trying to fix bhyve is a better choice.

you know,some years ago I wrote a thesis in psychology comparing linus torvalds and ....sigmund freud because they have opposite personalities that I wanted to analyze :D. Torvalds moved away from Stallman's position because it was too radical and radical positions are always bound to produce small groups of people who can't keep up with evolution. Linus is only interested in Linux development. If he hadn't opened up to closed software, Linux would now still be a niche operating system. The truth is in between. It is not good to keep all the knowledge inside us nor to spread it entirely, because otherwise there will be those who have the skills that will steal it and they will not give you nothing in return.
FSF/GNU licenses enforce access to source code, to the point that they don't accept binary blobs like NVidia's drivers and UEFI bootloaders. Linux kernel will happily work with both, but can be perfectly functional without them. But even so, I'm not that interested in having access to the UEFI bootloader code. Sure, it's nice to have an option to fine-tune the code on my own computer and be the boss of what I install on my own machine. This is why I don't like macOS. If I were interested in bootloader code, and figuring out how bootloaders work - I'd get a PineBook (kde.org provides links to that), and be stubborn about teaching myself the inner works of LibreBoot code. But even then, it's on me to learn. If I were to be an expert teaching people - I owe it to them to not be rude, otherwise nobody will listen to me.

It seems that it's not a good idea to use the 14-current. it will stop working for sure at some point. I'm not able to find the fix at that level. I think that trying to fix bhyve is a better choice.
I think bhyve will work better in 13-RELEASE. I'm using 13-RELEASE, and it's fantastic with memory management.

I think bhyve will work better in 13-RELEASE. I'm using 13-RELEASE, and it's fantastic with memory management.
Unfortunately it does not work for me. I should fix some error that I'm sure has been already fixed. But I don't know for sure where are all the needed fixes. I mean,it works great for me,what does not work is the passthru of my nvidia graphic card.

FSF/GNU licenses enforce access to source code, to the point that they don't accept binary blobs like NVidia's drivers and UEFI bootloaders. Linux kernel will happily work with both, but can be perfectly functional without them. But even so, I'm not that interested in having access to the UEFI bootloader code. Sure, it's nice to have an option to fine-tune the code on my own computer and be the boss of what I install on my own machine. This is why I don't like macOS. If I were interested in bootloader code, and figuring out how bootloaders work - I'd get a PineBook (kde.org provides links to that), and be stubborn about teaching myself the inner works of LibreBoot code. But even then, it's on me to learn. If I were to be an expert teaching people - I owe it to them to not be rude, otherwise nobody will listen to me.

You are one single entity. Think how many people are interested to give a look inside the souce code because they can easily change it. I suspect that there are even a lot of people that can't modify the source code,but they don't want to do that. For those persons is enough to think that they could. In both cases freedom and the illusion of being free are priceless commodities.

Unfortunately it does not work for me. I should fix some error that I'm sure has been already fixed. But I don't know for sure where are all the needed fixes. I mean,it works great for me,what does not work is the passthru of my nvidia graphic card.
Going back to page 1 of this thread, 13-RELEASE was actually first recommended by SirDice ... I can also add that compiling the sources (as opposed to installing pre-compiled packages) works wonders. It did for me, even though my hardware and my aims are different.

Going back to page 1 of this thread, 13-RELEASE was actually first recommended by SirDice ... I can also add that compiling the sources (as opposed to installing pre-compiled packages) works wonders. It did for me, even though my hardware and my aims are different.
which graphic card do u have ? did u try to pass through it ?

ok. let's go for the 14.current,but I haven't been able to install it directly. Can I make a fresh installation of freebsd 13r and then,can I upgrade it to 14-current ? can u suggest to me the right section of the wiki to follow ? because I'm not sure about the right procedure to apply.

I've already found that section of the wiki,but I must say that it's not very detailed and clear for me. Following that section I'm not able to accomplish the task. There are too much informations compressed in a few lines. Its not enough for a newbie.

Download the .iso again

Edit:
After the installation don't waste time to setup X11 or install any programs, just go strait to bhyve virtualization and check if gpu passthrough is working.

If you don't want to compile the source, you can try to install the iso again and follow @astyle suggestions.

I want to do everything it needs to accomplish the task man. But I need to read a more detailed and clear tutorial. Regarding the astyle suggestions,I tried,but I havent' been able to install it. I've opened a shell and I've configured the network assigning an IP to FreeBSD using the command : dhclient em0 and I can say that the network is working correctly; but even in this case,it can't be installed because it tries to get the files from the iso image,but it seems that they aren't there. And it seems that it skips totally the online repository (I've chosen the primary freebsd repo and also some other repos). Something is not working on the 14 iso files.

I want to do everything it needs to accomplish the task man. But I need to read a more detailed and clear tutorial. Regarding the astyle suggestions,I tried,but I havent' been able to install it. I've opened a shell and I've configured the network assigning an IP to FreeBSD using the command : dhclient em0 and I can say that the network is working correctly; but even in this case,it can't be installed because it tries to get the files from the iso image,but it seems that they aren't there. And it seems that it skips totally the online repository (I've chosen the primary freebsd repo and also some other repos). Something is not working on the 14 iso files.
If the base.txz distribution is not provided by the installer, then check to make sure you have the correct .iso file downloaded. It takes doing a bit of homework on your end of things every step of the way. Yeah, takes time, but for me, at least, that's part of the fun.

yes,I have the correct iso file. I've tried the memstick and the disc1.iso. Yeah,it is a fun also for me,but not when I'm totally confused. Anyway,I think that the 14 current will not fix the bhyve passthru,according to what Peter Grehan said :

There could be a number of issues here

- 64-bit BAR location in bhyve may not be working correctly. Would you
be able to add the output of 'pciconf -vlb' to the bug ?

- you should probably delete the vm between runs to allow passthru PCI
devices to be reset

bhyvectl --destroy --vm=<vmname>

- GPUs often require ROMs to be run at reset time to put the adapter
into a known state. I think Linux can cope with this and program the
device correctly, but I don't think FreeBSD (or Windows) can.

- the proprietary Nvidia driver before rev 465 would detect if running
under a hypervisor (using CPUID) and not install. However, it looks like
you are using > 465 so this shouldn't be an issue
(see
https://mathiashueber.com/fighting-error-43-nvidia-gpu-virtual-machine/)

----> Possibly other issues as well: this is an area that has never worked
too well with bhyve :(

Mysteriously the iso image of FreeBSD 14-current has been able to grab the files from the main repository...

I've installed and configured FreeBSD 14-current like I did with the 13 Release. Unfortunately the bhyve passthru does not work exactly like in the 13 Release. Bhyve is not yet mature,at least on FreeBSD. It needs more development. I think that I will remove 14-current and I will try OmniOS because I read that on OmniOS the bhyve passthru works,according with this post :

but I will not remove FreeBSD 13R and I will not stop to play with it.

Back