ati on freebsd

Does that mean that it's fully enabled now?

d
Code:
irect rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV620 95C4) 20090101  TCL

Your Renderer string should show "Mesa DRI R600", just as it does on line 42 of your pastebin :) Which means you now have 3D acceleration.

Thanks, I rebooted the system just to make sure everything works fine and now everything seems slow.
Code:
 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:

What could have happened?

Here's my xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dri2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"

Did you reboot or simply restart X (or reboot and then restart X)? There was a bug in the driver for a while (might still be there), only on FreeBSD, where if you used too much system ram, and then restart X, the DRI driver wouldn't be able to allocate enough system RAM, and you'd get that same "Out of memory" error from the X server. I haven't personally seen that particular bug in a while, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Adam

It might be that. Actually I think I only logged out (know it sounds stupid but I don't remember). I still haven't created a swap partition and have got 2 GB of RAM, it might have run out of it.

I'll reboot the computer and see what happens.

thank you

OK
Code:
[xtd8865@bsdtop /usr/home/xtd8865]$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo 
name of display: :0.0
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 4.3.0 r600 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/local/lib/dri/r600_dri.so
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, 
    GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and S

It doesn't seem so sluggish anymore but as you can see, it doesn't load dri r600 properly.

What do you mean it doesn't load dri r600 properly?

Code:
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/local/lib/dri/r600_dri.so

You haven't posted the full output, but does the renderer string say something other than Mesa R600 DRI?

Adam

One more thing. When I run gears
I get:
Code:
$ gears
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.
Code:
drm0: <ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series> on vgapci0
info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading RV620 Microcode
info: [drm] Resetting GPU
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
drm0: [ITHREAD]
pid 1360 (xfce4-power-manager), uid 1001: exited on signal 6
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading RV620 Microcode
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
drm0: [ITHREAD]

Hmmm.. That is odd. It works fine here, though I am using -CURRENT instead of -STABLE. Not sure if that would make the difference.

How about other opengl applications? /usr/local/bin/glxgears or /usr/local/bin/gloss, for example.

Adam

He may not even have a Device section. It's certainly not required. In any case, his xorg.conf is irrelevant at this point.

Adam

Whoa... On page one you said you were using 8-stable. You are not. Your Xorg.0.log file shows that you are using 8.0-RELEASE. You must be using at least -STABLE or -CURRENT. It will not work with 8.0-RELEASE.

Sugar! Don't tell me that I spent the last couple of days trying to configure something that is out of date:) Sorry for misinforming you. I didn't know there's any difference between 8.0-Release and -STABLE. I thought that the one available in the main section of downloads on the freebsd website ie. 8.0-release IS -STABLE.
Ok, I looked at it in the snapshot section and understand the difference between the versions. My apologies for the confusion. I've only been with FreeBSD for 2 days.
In that case I'll download an 8-STABLE version and start everything again (aagggrrrhhh!!!!)

Thank you for all your help.

What about 9-current? Is it usable for a FreeBSD newbie? I've been successfully using Slackware-current for the last 2 years, but then again I know much more about linux than BSD. Perhaps, I should install 9-current. It's just for me to learn freebsd. I plan it to be the only OS on one of my laptops.
What would your advice be?

Generally I would recommend sticking with -STABLE unless you have a specific reason to go with -CURRENT (and, in fact, I would normally recommend using -RELEASE, but you won't get 3D acceleration that way, at least not till 8.1-RELEASE and, to be honest, I don't know if the 3D DRM code will even be in 8.1).

Adam

adamk said:
He may not even have a Device section. It's certainly not required. In any case, his xorg.conf is irrelevant at this point.

Adam

The one he posted was cut off, maybe just one line, maybe more. But working from incomplete information has dragged out a lot of these threads.

Perhaps :) Having dealt with Xorg and XFree86 issues for well over a decade, I can tell you that there's very little, if anything, an xorg.conf file can tell you that an Xorg.0.log file can't. In any case, it really is irrelevant to his current problem.

Adam

wblock said:
The one he posted was cut off, maybe just one line, maybe more. But working from incomplete information has dragged out a lot of these threads.

I'm installing -STABLE now so there's no way of telling, but it WAS the whole output of xorg.conf

wblock is correct in that you did not paste your entire xorg.conf. You are at least missing one line without which Xorg would not have started.

Adam

Weird. I'm usually very careful to post relevant pieces of code. But Ok. If you guys say so I must have been wrong.

Back