Asus EEE PC 1000H

hi

has someone successfully installed freeBSD on the notebook Asus EEE PC 1000H ?
I think these interfaces are NOT supported:

ethernet adapter: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E
wireless: RALINK, it needs rt2860 module

I have a 1000. The hardware is a little different, but the wired and wireless ethernet are both the same as your machine. The wired ethernet is supported and uses the ale(4) driver. I haven't gotten gigabit to work but the rest does work. The wireless ethernet probably should be ral(4) but it is not supported -- it's detected with pciconf but nothing shows up in dmesg.

Hope that helps!

For the wireless, you can try the ndis wrapper and use the MS Windows driver if your hardware is not supported. I'm using the ndis driver on my laptop and it works fine.

Where can I find detailed instructions on how to do this? I haven't messed with NDIS since Novell Netware...

ccc said:
thx, but what about freeBSD 8.0 current ?
does 8.0 current support rt2860 ?

Nope! After compiling in ral, ralfw, firmware, and the wlan crew, the closest I get is this:

pci1: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

I've been running 8-CURRENT using csup to keep up to date. I am using /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile as my supfile.

I modified the kernel file I'm using (ASUS-EEEPC-901-8.0 which I got from a FreeBSD wiki page) to include the five 'device' lines found in the ral(4) man page: ral, ralfw, wlan, wlan_amrr, and firmware. The man page doesn't list RT2860 support, but the original author has been focusing on OpenBSD support and the OpenBSD CVS mailing list archives show that he has committed RT2860 support into OpenBSD last November. I wish I was clever enough to somehow take that driver and run it on FreeBSD.

Is it worth making a PR?

mathuin said:
I've been running 8-CURRENT using csup to keep up to date. I am using /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile as my supfile.

I modified the kernel file I'm using (ASUS-EEEPC-901-8.0 which I got from a FreeBSD wiki page) to include the five 'device' lines found in the ral(4) man page: ral, ralfw, wlan, wlan_amrr, and firmware. The man page doesn't list RT2860 support, but the original author has been focusing on OpenBSD support and the OpenBSD CVS mailing list archives show that he has committed RT2860 support into OpenBSD last November. I wish I was clever enough to somehow take that driver and run it on FreeBSD.

Is it worth making a PR?

which 8.0 version are you using and could you give me pls some more details how have you modified the kernel with RALINK?

thx

I'm running 8.0-CURRENT as of Mar 4. The section of my message that you quoted has all the details of the change that I can give.

I did make a PR for porting the driver from OpenBSD.

Also, I tried to compile in NDIS so I could try NDISulating the Windows drivers as someone else has apparently done but 8.0-CURRENT has USB2 and NDIS hasn't yet been ported to USB2 so that doesn't work.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html at section 11.8.1.1 has instructions on using Windows drivers -- if you're still on RELENG_7 or 8.0-CURRENT from before the USB1->USB2, that is probably your best bet on getting wireless working today. I found the Windows drivers on Ralink's website and installed them on a spare Windows box then searched for 'rt2860.inf' and 'rt2860.sys' to use them with ndisgen.

I am successfully running 7.1-RELEASE on my EEE PC 100HD. I only had to recompile hal with binaries from madwifi in order to make my atheros wifi card work. The only thing that does not work is webcam, i even experimented with bluetooth and managed to pair my phone with it.

Following page was of great help to me:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee
Even better was:
http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD
but unfortunately it is down for some ime now.

Okay, NDIS started working again in 8.0-CURRENT.

I recompiled this morning, rebuilt the module with ndisgen, copied the firmware binary into /compat/ndis, and loaded the module.

Here is what showed up in dmesg:

no match for ZwWriteFile
no match for ZwCreateFile
no match for ZwReadFile
ndis0: <802.11n Wireless LAN Card> mem 0xfbef0000-0xfbefffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci1
ndis0: [ITHREAD]
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
NDIS: open file /compat/ndis/rate.bin failed: 2

What's with this rate.bin file? I tried to start wpa_supplicant after that...

Starting wpa_supplicant.
ioctl[SIOCG80211, op 98, len 32]: Invalid argument
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x28407140 user_data=0x2840e040 handler=0x8069f40
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant: WARNING: failed to start wpa_supplicant

Is that because of the rate.bin file being missing? What is that file anyway? It's not included in the driver distribution that I downloaded...

I've also bought an Asus Eee PC 1000H for my wife and installed FreeBSD-CURRENT in one of the slices (was drive D: earlier).

Almost everything works, but I could not get the wireless adapter to work. This is not Atheros, this is Ralink and it is not supported by FreeBSD at all. I've heard about some work in perforce (was it a year ago?).

I am really disappointed, because the FreeBSD wiki pages are wrong. You can even see it in the EEE_HEAD dmesg output that the adapter is not being found and the wiki pages say that 901 is the same as 1000H and wireless works on both. Both statements are very wrong. They don't have the same hardware and on both wireless won't work.

I've als tried NDIS wrapper. It fails with an error while loading the module. I suspect that NDIS is broken on CURRENT.

Code:
ndis0: NDIS ERROR c0001388 (unknown error)

Since there is no proper PCI-ID in ral(4), you won't be able to get the adapter to work. I've heard that ral(4) is supported better on OpenBSD and NetBSD. It might be interesting to try one of the alternative BSDs.

Wow, I didn't get that kind of error. Are you running 8.0-CURRENT?

There has been some discussion on freebsd-mobile. Sam would love to pass the partially-completed driver on to someone who can finish it. I just want it to work. :)

RE: the partially compelted driver.

The driver is not incomplete just out of date :) it used to compile on 7-current.

Currently I am up to the stage of it finding the hardware loading the firmware... detecting the rates... just not able to get a list of networks available-_- anyway, im not sure if anyone else is trying to but me and bearperson are attempting to fix this driver for 8-current,

for your enjoyment:
Code:
pci1: driver added
found-> vendor=0x1814, dev=0x0781, revid=0x00
        domain=0, bus=1, slot=0, func=0
        class=02-80-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
        cmdreg=0x0007, statreg=0x0010, cachelnsz=8 (dwords)
        lattimer=0x00 (0 ns), mingnt=0x00 (0 ns), maxlat=0x00 (0 ns)
        intpin=a, irq=19
        powerspec 3  supports D0 D3  current D0
        MSI supports 32 messages, 64 bit
pci0:1:0:0: reprobing on driver added
ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2860> mem 0xfbef0000-0xfbefffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci1
pcib4: ral0 requested memory range 0xfbef0000-0xfbefffff: good
ral0: rt2860_attach: Bozo was here.
ral0: MAC/BBP RT2872 (rev 0x0200), RF RT2720 (1T2R)
ral0: bpf attached
ral0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ral0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ral0: [MPSAFE]
ral0: [ITHREAD]
pci3: driver added
pci4: driver added
pci5: driver added
pci6: driver added
ral0: rt2860_init_locked: Bozo was here.
ral0: rt2860_stop_locked: Bozo was here.
ral0: trying to load firmware rt2860fw
firmware: 'rt2860fw' version 0: 8192 bytes loaded at 0xc55295e0
ral0: rt2860_load_microcode: loading firmware...
ral0: rt2860_load_microcode: firmware loaded successfully.
ral0: rt2860_stop_locked: Bozo was here.
ral0: detached
eeepc#

A quick note - I noticed how that sounded at the start of the message, Please if you are also trying to make this driver work don't hesitate to get in contact or stop developing believing that you are to late; this is a long way off yet! :)

curently i also try to porting rt2860 driver from openbsd to freebsd 8(aka current)
to finish the driver yr need implement(porting) the DMA engine and rx/tx procedure

if some one is intresting the source code (to finish the driver) i can provide it

Okay, where do we put it and how do we build it? :) There's no obvious place to extract the whole thing that I can see...

Okay, the default makefiles apparently treat warnings as errors and this code warns of a zillion unused variables and a couple of other minor things. I'll try commenting things out and I'll let you know!

Okay, I commented out all the unused variables and functions, added in the three cases with 'break' after them, and finally got it to compile.

Just after 'Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec' I get this: (handtyped, be gentle)

Code:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x303d726f
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc073ad81
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xc0c20ce0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xc0c20d1c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1s
Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

The problem went away when I didn't boot with the module installed. Loading the module after the system boots caused it to hang and I couldn't switch VTs to see what exactly came up on console but I bet it was the same thing.

Back