Solved arm-none-eabi-gcc, does not see standard libraries

I need to use arm-none-eabi-gcc to compile for some embedded processor, i already use that compiler on win10 to build targets for embedded stuff, so I decided to try doing it in FreeBSD.

I did install from port (using poudriere) successfully the arm-none-eabi-gcc 10.2 version, and it launches and works.

however, when I try to compile basic simplest file which has "#include<cstdint>" the compiler screams:
fatal error: cstdint: no such file or directory

btw, just as a test, compiling simplest minimalistic file with that line using just "gcc" (installed with pkg) works just fine, and it does not complain about not findint cstdint

did arm-none-eabi-gcc during install not get its proper standard libraries, or what else is going on here?

It probably installed them in /usr/local. Try adding -I /usr/local/include to your CFLAGS. BTW, pkg info -l gcc should show you all the files the package installed.

adding that option did not help, same error.

pkg info -l gcc returns:
/usr/local/bin/g++
/usr/local/bin/gcc
/usr/local/bin/gfortran

anything else i should look into?

I need to use arm-none-eabi-gcc to compile for some embedded processor, i already use that compiler on win10 to build targets for embedded stuff, so I decided to try doing it in FreeBSD.
I had a similar issue when trying to build for the Raspberry Pi Pico. Try devel/gcc-arm-embedded instead.

the thing is, I tried installing that with pkg, and after successful install I tried again. its a same thing..

btw... I was so confused when I found out about this "gcc-arm-embedded" so its basically installed same latest version but then why did I go through the trouble of building from ports of the "arm-none-eabi-gcc"

anyway... what should I do now? you think I should uninstall all arm-none-eabi-gcc and install again gcc-arm-embedded and try again or?

That file is not a standard C header. It's installed by devel/boost-libs on my system.

Code:
find /usr/local/include | grep -i cstdint                                                                         
/usr/local/include/boost/asio/detail/cstdint.hpp
/usr/local/include/boost/cstdint.hpp

pkg which /usr/local/include/boost/cstdint.hpp                                                                    
/usr/local/include/boost/cstdint.hpp was installed by package boost-libs-1.72.0_3

it is not standard C header it is standard C++ header, and I do not think that one needs to install boost to get that file,at least it is not the case when I install arm-non-eabi on win10, then I can compile files with #include<cstdin> without need of installing any boost on system.

and also, I do have that cstdint.hpp file as well, but that did not help me, I again see that error...

so what would be the proper workaround for this?

it is not standard C header it is standard C++ header, and I do not think that one needs to install boost to get that file,at least it is not the case when I install arm-non-eabi on win10, then I can compile files with #include<cstdin> without need of installing any boost on system.

and also, I do have that cstdint.hpp file as well, but that did not help me, I again see that error...

so what would be the proper workaround for this?
You would have to add -I /usr/local/include/boost to your CFLAGS (CPPFLAGS?) in order for that file to be picked up.

alright, so basically I just found out that after removing "arm-none-eabi-gcc" and installing "gcc-arm-embedded" the executable was not in path, what I did is, I directly called compiler like that:
/usr/local/gcc-arm-embedded-10-2020-q4-major/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc to compile, and now it did compile and did not complain about cstdint, so just like SirDice said, after using that one, problem is gone.

I guess I will have to add that weird location to path executable, feel free to let me know if there is more elegant way of handling it, and for now Ill call it solved.

Back