C/C++ Raspberry Pi Pico

No, it's invoking the target g++ compiler and that is picking up the host includes. If I manually run what that makefile is doing:
Code:
% arm-none-eabi-g++ -c /home/arg/work/pico/pico-sdk/src/rp2_common/pico_standard_link/new_delete.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/c++/v1/cstdlib:84,
                 from /home/arg/work/pico/pico-sdk/src/rp2_common/pico_standard_link/new_delete.cpp:10:
/usr/include/c++/v1/__config:1132:6: error: #error "No thread API"
 #    error "No thread API"
and looking at line 10 of that file, it's just:
Code:
#include <cstdlib>
So the include path for the g++ in the arm-none-eabi-gcc port appears to be wrong.

Deleting the arm-none-eabi package and replacing it with gcc-arm-embedded makes it work. Since gcc-arm-embedded installs in a separate directory rather than /usr/local/bin, you also need to set PICO_TOOLCHAIN_PATH=/usr/local/gcc-arm-embedded , but it then successfully builds all of the examples.

Downloading executables by mounting the USB mass storage exposed by the Pico and copying UF2 images onto it works fine, but I find it a bit clunky:

Code:
# camcontrol devlist
… other drives here ….
<RPI RP2 2>                        at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass4)
# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
# cp work/pico/pico-examples/build/blink/blink.uf2 /mnt
# umount /mnt

Picotool is nicer for a shell user, and it almost builds out-of-the-box (Appendix B in the 'getting started' guide), however the Cmake script fails to locate FreeBSD's libusb correctly because the library is called 'libusb' rather than 'libusb-1.0'. I'm not sure if this is a defect in FreeBSD's package description (/usr/libdata/pkgconfig/libusb-1.0.pc) or that pkgtool/cmake just can't handle this automatically, but it's easily fixed in the cmake script that comes in the picotool source:

Code:
% git diff
diff --git a/cmake/FindLIBUSB.cmake b/cmake/FindLIBUSB.cmake
index c8cc62c..560e023 100644
--- a/cmake/FindLIBUSB.cmake
+++ b/cmake/FindLIBUSB.cmake
@@ -20,7 +20,7 @@ else (LIBUSB_INCLUDE_DIR AND LIBUSB_LIBRARIES)
     ENDIF(NOT WIN32)
     FIND_PATH(LIBUSB_INCLUDE_DIR libusb.h
             PATHS ${PC_LIBUSB_INCLUDEDIR} ${PC_LIBUSB_INCLUDE_DIRS})
-    FIND_LIBRARY(LIBUSB_LIBRARIES NAMES usb-1.0
+    FIND_LIBRARY(LIBUSB_LIBRARIES NAMES usb-1.0 usb
             PATHS ${PC_LIBUSB_LIBDIR} ${PC_LIBUSB_LIBRARY_DIRS})
     include(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs)
     FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS(LIBUSB DEFAULT_MSG LIBUSB_LIBRARIES LIBUSB_INCLUDE_DIR)

ie. just add "usb" after "usb-1.0" on the FIND_LIBRARY line.

The USB console examples work just fine with FreeBSD, popping up as /dev/ttyU0 etc.

OP
SirDice

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to have another go at this tonight. Thanks for the missing info, I was kind of stumped why it didn't work. I had a feeling it has something to do with the include directories (why was it trying to pull in include files from FreeBSD's /usr/include) but couldn't figure out why that happened.

I hacked up a version of pico_setup.sh for FreeBSD - the examples and picoprobe build for me. I haven't tested vscode but it does install. Building openocd failed due to one of its dependencies (libjaylink) failing.

Attachments

• pico_setup.sh.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 42
OP
SirDice

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I have some time this weekend I'll have a look at it.

I spent a little more time on this and have openocd building (with a small patch which I'll try to push upstream) and I was able to build and run/debug the pico examples in vscode using openocd and picoprobe. To build in vscode, you may need to configure the CMake Tools extension to use the 'Unix Makefiles' generator instead of Ninja.

Attachments

• pico_setup.sh.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 42