ArcticFox as potential Firefox/Palemoon replacement

Arctic Fox started as a forked and rebranded Pale Moon 27.9.4 and retains its classic interface. Many fixes and enhancements have been imported from Firefox and TenFourFox.

Giving it a shot. Needs python2, autoconf213, gawk, yasm and no .mozconfig (maybe?) so far.... ./mach builld doesn't seem to be what you want. Trying with ../configure --disable-pulseaudio --disable-jemalloc - just winging it. The system clang didn't get very far into the build though.

Seems to build okay with gcc10. Can just export CC and CXX.

Attachments

• 2021-11-07-194311_1920x1080_scrot.png
    2021-11-07-194311_1920x1080_scrot.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 277
It was crashing on a lot of sites. Pretty sure I did that all wrong.

Trying this one, and just copying mozcfg-amd64linux to .mozconfig and running ./mach build . Not messing with autotools. Not getting the error about jemalloc anymore either, but I don't recognize this build system at all.

No dice. It's pretty much like the websites say. Tried with clang 12 and 13 and they don't build from either repo:
4:37.25 /usr/include/c++/v1/new:127:14: error: expected class name

gcc10 builds but crashes on, for example, the advanced settings tab and many websites.

I'm looking into this for midnightbsd. I'm sure if we have someone with github (not me) we can open issues and get these issues debugged further.

Anyone attached lldb to their resultant binaries?

How did your attempts go? I just did another release at the end of 2022! One year later...

I have issues with various BSDs, especially with FreeBSD. Startup cache needs to be disabled.
It compiles and works fairly well on 12.2 (certain things make it crash, which do not on Linux and Mac, e.g. open youtube or a specific preference pane). However, on 12.3 it is much more crashy.

On 13 I do not get it to compile or, if I can with some tricks, it does not start.

If you guys are still interested and want to hack on...

argwings crashes may be due to optimization flags on compilers.
Just to be sure try a -O0 and if that works, a -O1 build.
On NetBSD and Linux ArcticFox runs stable with GCC 10, 11 and 12 while on mac apple's clang 10 does fine, so compiler support has been updated quite a bit.

Did anybody further work on this? Still some interest BSD-Kitsune?
I am continuing work on Linux/NetBSD/OpenBSD yet FreeBSD has issues with arc4random. I am pulling in build infrastructure updates, let's see if they help.
PS: even on older FreeBSD where everything compiled, certain videos made AF crash and most strangely, indeed, the advanced tab.

Back