OpenBOX Anybody else use OpenBox instead of these horrendous bloatware desktops?

Where do you get your themes? Wanna share some? I like dull colored, flat, industrial looking colors. I looked at the usual places github, deviantart, etc via google, but man they are all just the same wannabe KDE or gnome lookalike with bright "playschool" colors. Show me your stuff! I think I am going to try my hand at and search for a theme editor and create my own. When I do I will share them in this thread with you.

Yeah, openbox is great. Use it on my desktops for 2 years now after switching to *BSD. Openbox theming isn't that hard. The only thing that disturbs me a little bit is that you have to use .xbm button images.
This is my actual dualHead home desktop with a self made OB Vertex theme to match GTK Vertex theme of horst3180 and a Numix Square icon theme
2018-12-14_12:49:27.jpg

Other software is deskutils/cairo-dock, deskutils/pypanel (top bar on the left screen) and sysutils/conky (top bar on the right).
My OB Vertex theme isn't completed yet but I could share it if you like. And here is a shot of openbox as I used it some time ago on my T420s with an AwOken icon theme and x11/wbar.
2018-08-25_10:21:39.png

As Phishfry mentioned take a look at vermaden's nice Blog for almost everything around Openbox customization.
And look at the Screenshot Thread 8877 to see what awesome desktops some guys run on FreeBSD.

Since openbox bother to appropriate close the windows when you run openbox --exit and to get menu entries for reboot/shutdown I use this script
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

EXIT_COMMAND="openbox --exit"
#EXIT_COMMAND="lxpanelctl exit"
TIME_TO_WAIT=10
SLEEP="0.25"

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin
ACTION=$1
NUM_DISPLAYS=`xvinfo | grep 'screen #' | wc -l`

CUR_DISPLAY=0
while [ $CUR_DISPLAY -lt $NUM_DISPLAYS ]; do
    export DISPLAY=":0.$CUR_DISPLAY"

NUM_DESKS=`xdotool get_num_desktops`
    CUR_DESK=0
    while [ $CUR_DESK -lt $NUM_DESKS ]; do
        xdotool set_desktop $CUR_DESK

CLIENTS=""
        WINDOWS=`xprop -root _NET_CLIENT_LIST | awk -F# '{ print $2; }' | tr -d ","`
        for ID in $WINDOWS; do
            WINDOW_TYPE=`xprop -id $ID _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE`
            TYPE_NOT_SET=`echo $WINDOW_TYPE | grep "not found" | wc -l`
            TYPE_NORMAL=`echo $WINDOW_TYPE | grep _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL | wc -l`
            if [ $TYPE_NOT_SET -eq 1 -o $TYPE_NORMAL -eq 1 ]; then
                CLIENTS="$CLIENTS $ID"
            fi
        done

if [ -n "$CLIENTS" ]; then
            for ID in $CLIENTS; do
                wmctrl -ia $ID
                sleep $SLEEP
                wmctrl -ic $ID

TIME=`date +%s`
                while [ `date +%s` -le `expr $TIME + $TIME_TO_WAIT` ]; do
                    sleep $SLEEP
                    if [ `xprop -root _NET_CLIENT_LIST | grep "$ID" | wc -l` -eq 0 ]; then
                        break
                    fi
                done
            done
        fi

CUR_DESK=`expr $CUR_DESK + 1`
    done

CUR_DISPLAY=`expr $CUR_DISPLAY + 1`
done

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

case $ACTION in
-r)
    shutdown -r now
    ;;
-p)
    shutdown -p now
    ;;
*)
    $EXIT_COMMAND
    ;;
esac
You will need x11/xvinfo, x11/xdotool and x11/wmctrl in order to run.

I use openbox and dwm. I use dwm at work, where I have a multimonitor setup, because it allows me to have on screen on tag 2 and one on tag 1, whereas with openbox, if I move one screen to desktop 2, they all go there. But, for me, I find that on single monitor setups, whether large desktop screens or laptops, floating window managers work better for me than tiling ones.
(Although vermaden and others have written tilers for openbox, I find that I don't make use of them).

I like openbox and have dabbled in it a few times over the years but never stuck with it. Not sure why, it seems to work well, other than the config, which is a bit messy, but that's the OCD-is part of me talking...;)

For tilers, yes, dwm is my favorite, but over the past couple of months, I have fallen in love with cwm. I use it in conjunction with dmenu and it's a great combo for me. Light, fast, easy to configure.

I just love that we have choices!

Yeah, openbox is great. Use it on my desktops for 2 years now after switching to *BSD. Openbox theming isn't that hard. The only thing that disturbs me a little bit is that you have to use .xbm button images.
This is my actual dualHead home desktop with a self made OB Vertex theme to match GTK Vertex theme of horst3180 and a Numix Square icon theme
View attachment 5676
Other software is deskutils/cairo-dock, deskutils/pypanel (top bar on the left screen) and sysutils/conky (top bar on the right).
My OB Vertex theme isn't completed yet but I could share it if you like. And here is a shot of openbox as I used it some time ago on my T420s with an AwOken icon theme and x11/wbar.
View attachment 5677
As Phishfry mentioned take a look at vermaden's nice Blog for almost everything around Openbox customization.
And look at the Screenshot Thread 8877 to see what awesome desktops some guys run on FreeBSD.

I actually just installed https://github.com/apiraino/obtheme as a user. I intend on messing with it. It had some problems but i edited the script. freebsd 12-current, what I am runnign doesnt have an /etc/mtab so i ran cp /etc/fstab /home/mike/obtheme/mtab and pointed the script to it and its working. I forget what else I had to edit. Thats a nice looking desktop you got there.

Never used a graphical theme editor like obtheme for openbox. I prefer editing themerc directly and put this file directly in a directory called openbox-3 where you can also put your button images in. And then place yourtheme/openbox-3 in /usr/local/share/themes or ~/.themes and it should be autodetected by obconf.
But the xbm-editor of obtheme could be helpful.
I would share my config for openbox, pyppanel or conky if you like.

Never used a graphical theme editor like obtheme for openbox. I prefer editing themerc directly and put this file directly in a directory called openbox-3 where you can also put your button images in. And then place yourtheme/openbox-3 in /usr/local/share/themes or ~/.themes and it should be autodetected by obconf.
But the xbm-editor of obtheme could be helpful.
I would share my config for openbox, pyppanel or conky if you like.

Sure i'd like to have a mess/look with them. What exactly is an "openbox config" what does it implement?

Oh I see its the main config file. I am reading now im going to play with it. maybe I will change to tint2 as well.

I put a lot of my keyboard shortcuts in rc.xml, and I agree, the xml config file is a bit of a pain. I prefer fluxbox's plain text one.
I also use demu for a variety of things, and tint2 as my panel.

I just switched to tint2 and customized it its nice. I didnt realize pypanel stopped development or at least thats what I just read so now is a good a time as any to change thanks for the reccomendation.

What exactly is an "openbox config" what does it implement?
I mean menu.xml and rc.xml, e.g. I put this lines in rc.xml to take screenshots with the Print key
<keybind key="Print">
<action name="Execute">
<command>sh -c "mkdir -p ~/Pictures/screenshots &amp;&amp; scrot ~/Pictures/screenshots/%Y-%m-%d_%T.png"</command>
</action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="A-Print">
<action name="Execute">
<command>sh -c "mkdir -p ~/Pictures/screenshots &amp;&amp; scrot -s ~/Pictures/screenshots/%Y-%m-%d_%T.png"</command>
</action>
</keybind>
But I agree that xml editing is not as comfortable.
I didnt realize pypanel stopped development or at least thats what I just read so now is a good a time as any to change thanks for the reccomendation.
That's a pity, i really like pypanel cause it is one of the lightest solutions. Nonetheless I'll continue to use it for some time since it fullfills its purpose as taskbar. As launcher I prefer x11/wbar or deskutils/cairo-dock.

Back