AMD64 & nvidia updates..

semi-ambivalent, use
Code:
 tags. I'm not going to edit your posts forever.

I installed it from ports after I modified Makefile and distinfo files in x11/nvidia-driver.
Put the archive into distfiles and apply attached patch.

Attachments

• nvidia-driver.patch
    1.4 KB · Views: 254
semi-ambivalent, i'm not sure if this helped, but in the nvidia driver file list, it lists files installed in /usr/lib/xorg, instead of /usr/local/lib/xorg. i created a symlink before installing the driver just in case, because i've had the problem before.
you can try that?

p.s. sorry i hadn't seen last post from dh

Odd...

Hm, odd thang...

Similarly to DutchDaemon, i did a hell lotta work going back to
amd64 and rebuilding everything from scratch, just after knowing a beta driver had been releasedm, and just for a video driver...

So far - good impressions, just that any video player crashes, when "torturing" it with HD-rips. Mplayer and its frontends seems
hellish outdated, vlc needs entire-portbase-update to work normally :)

I built a KDE 4 environment, just to see how my GTX 285 would behave :stud (having always considered, that KDE4 is full of bugs)
Well, not this time - it's only video players that refuse to work.

crsd said:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine#head-6963d527c173e57b1567e881305b544d33435b6d

Edit: you might need to download x86 driver, build x86 libs, and put them in /usr/local/lib/compat/i386/, didn't try it though
The AMD64 driver includes the x86 libraries for compatibility, if I'm understanding things correctly, at least as far as the Linux ones go.

I have had a bit of trouble trying to install Mesa, but it's probably something that couldn't really be worked on until there was a working driver. A shame because I'm interested in what my GLX Gears score is. :e

But since this seems to be veering OT, I think I'll try this and put it in a different thread from here on out.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm out of time for now and will let this go until tomorrow. Thanks for the patch dh. I'll check on the link mdma and, yes thuglife(!), the tree is up to date. I'll make this work but in the meantime nv is behaving itself and is actually pretty quick (I'm not a gamer) so I'm moving on to other things for now. Tahanks again all for the help.

New guy here...well...sort of...hehe.

Anyway, I have these running on FreeBSD 8 and so far, so good. No problems to report as of yet.

hedwards said:
I have had a bit of trouble trying to install Mesa, but it's probably something that couldn't really be worked on until there was a working driver. A shame because I'm interested in what my GLX Gears score is. :e

i've had problems building that port even on i386, so i used pkg_add (amd64 8.0R) and glxgears works fine that way.

mesa-demos install will fail with libGL.so.1 replaced by nvidia-driver. You should probably backup your /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1 (you can reinstall graphics/libGL, to get it back though).

To me all work great and i can play sauerbraten on my 6000+ machine With FreeBSD amd64 It about times We just adobe flash player now.
lol

Unixworld said:
Hm, odd thang...

Similarly to DutchDaemon, i did a hell lotta work going back to
amd64 and rebuilding everything from scratch, just after knowing a beta driver had been releasedm, and just for a video driver...

So far - good impressions, just that any video player crashes, when "torturing" it with HD-rips. Mplayer and its frontends seems
hellish outdated, vlc needs entire-portbase-update to work normally :)

I built a KDE 4 environment, just to see how my GTX 285 would behave :stud (having always considered, that KDE4 is full of bugs)
Well, not this time - it's only video players that refuse to work.

weird ...

I tested just the same thing, but running Gnome, and all went fine. mplayer couldn't handle all HD movies, but totem did it well, the same way I see when using ubuntu. I'm too close to moving from ubuntu to FreeBSD 8 amd64. i just need virtualbox to work on bridge mode well :)

I'm testing a machine using this nVidia driver, and no crashes so far. I had one, but AFAIK is virtualbox related. The nvidia driver is greatly working.

any news when will be the release date ?

none

The new 32/64-bit NVIDIA driver made it into the ports tree:
x11/nvidia-driver

NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

Update to version 195.22. These are BETA drivers, and normally update would
not occur, but now it is special: it features long-awaited x86-64 (amd64)
support. In order to use this driver release, your system will need to have
either FreeBSD 7-STABLE after 702106 or FreeBSD 8.0 and above.

Both the FreeBSD/x86 and FreeBSD/x86-64 driver packages include 32-bit Linux
ABI compatibility libraries; 64-bit Linux libraries may be included with a
future release (when support for Linux/x86-64 compatibility is added to
FreeBSD/amd64). The FreeBSD/x86-64 package does not include the FreeBSD/x86
OpenGL libraries; however, the libraries shipped with the FreeBSD/x86 driver
package have been tested on FreeBSD/x86-64.

Port was updated to serve both versions seamlessly. No need to specify
anything to distinguish between architectures.

I would like to thank everyone involved to make this happen.

Reviewed on: -ports@

Back