AMD64 & nvidia updates..

Yup, I guess nVidia kinda waited for 8.0 release to publish beta drivers.
Now it should not be too far away.
I tried to install 64 bits with 8.0 RC but I dropped it since I had problems for nVidia driver (none) + linux compatibility layer (flash for FF) + potentialy for wine.

At last!!!

datastream said:
failed to load nvidia.ko in freebsd 9.0r199737.
KLD nvidia.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

Looks like module was built against newer kernel sources than running kernel was built from.

It works for me on amd 9-CURRENT!
Had to remove version check from nv-freebsd.h to make it compile.

Oh sweet.. I was waiting for this day for years and years. Also haven't upgraded 7.2 -> 8.0 just because I was waiting for this driver to come out so I can migrate to AMD64 at same time.

Works for me on 8.0-RELEASE and looks great, but results in a bad, bad crash when shutting down X. If they can fix this, everything will be fine. :)

Works fine here on 8.0-RELEASE, amd64; everything is nice and smooth.

Now we just need the mplayer version that supports VDPAU in ports (-rc3 i think).

at last.
it's working really well here and i moved to amd64 ( again ) just for this.
plus someone on the mailing list has wine in a jail and installed to i386 beta driver in it too and running world of warcraft pretty well.
nice mate, whoever u r.
not my game, but good good news

FreeBSD nVidia driver beta

So, has anybody had a chance to try installing it yet? I'm a bit curious because I've been waiting for a while to get the nVidia card fully functioning in FreeBSD amd64.
EDIT: Scratch that, apparently they're talking about it in the Xorg forum. I'm surprised it wasn't brought up here.

Spent 12 hours rebuilding and restoring everything on my (formerly i386) laptop; kernel, OS, 600+ ports. All's well in 8.0/amd64/NVIDIA land.

I got around to installing it, and it seems to be working well. Just finished up my second game of Warzone2100 and it seems to run well. Even bumped the resolution to 1920x1200 and the graphics seemed to run just fine.

So far no signs of instability. EDIT: And now to get onto figuring out how to get wine working and I'll be sitting pretty.

hedwards said:
I got around to installing it, and it seems to be working well. Just finished up my second game of Warzone2100 and it seems to run well. Even bumped the resolution to 1920x1200 and the graphics seemed to run just fine.

So far no signs of instability. EDIT: And now to get onto figuring out how to get wine working and I'll be sitting pretty.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine#head-6963d527c173e57b1567e881305b544d33435b6d

Edit: you might need to download x86 driver, build x86 libs, and put them in /usr/local/lib/compat/i386/, didn't try it though

dh said:
I'm using it right now on 8.0-RC1 and no crashes whatsoever.

How did you install this? I just downloaded

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.22-pkg2.run from Nvidia's site (the only reference I could find on 195.22) chmod'ed to 755 and threw it at sh. It gave me this:

Code:
ERROR: this .run file is intended for the
Linux-x86_64 platform, but you appear to be
running on FreeBSD-amd64.  Aborting installation.

I've done nvidia's drivers in the past without using ports and it was pretty easy but I'm completely missing something here.

:( Ooops:
Code:
===> lib/compat/libGLcore (install)
===> lib/compat/libvdpau (install)
===> lib/compat/libvdpau_trace (install)
===> lib/compat/libvdpau_nvidia (install)
===> lib/compat/libcuda (install)
===> x11 (install)
===> x11/driver (install)
===> x11/extension (install)
===> x11/bin (install)
===> x11/man (install)
===> doc (install)
ERROR: Failed to load the NVIDIA module!
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-195.22.

nvidia.ko in in /boot/modules

[/tmp/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-195.22]# kldload nvidia
kldload: can't load nvidia: Exec format error

This might be because I'm currently running X using the nv driver, but I wanted to post this before I kill X and try again. Thanks for the help.

sa

It is not loading the driver module at X start either (after editing xorg.conf.) /var/log/messages says:

Code:
Dec  6 09:54:17 auden kernel: KLD nvidia.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
Dec  6 09:54:17 auden kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Is this the same as I've seen upthread? I'm running RELEASE.

An update.
Following Chapter 8 of the driver's README, I added
Code:
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
to /boot/loader.conf and re-booted but the module still won't load, same error.

Back