Am I superstitious? Re:FreeBSD 13

Here you have one of the interesting sources:
https://27project.wordpress.com/about/

Why 27? was a poster when I was a wee lad with the pictures of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison on it.

They say gut instincts often work.

I was dead serious when I said I follow mine. I have turned around in the middle of the highway when headed to a particular destination and gone back home because I had an overpowering feeling that something wasn't right.

It may be been unchecked paranoia, but has served me well over time and I have learned to trust them.

Might as well chime in. Born on April 13th (same month and day as Thomas Jefferson), I have always felt honored and cursed.

I consider myself to live a charmed life. Most of the people I used to hang out with are dead, for one reason or another, and by all rights I should be several times over.

Did I mention I wear a Terra de Fatima soil relic? I only got that a couple years ago though. I have an awesome Crucifix soil relic with a grain of sand from each Station of The Cross, too.

I have turned around in the middle of the highway when headed to a particular destination and gone back home because I had an overpowering feeling that something wasn't right.
I was on a date with a girl and we went bowling. (Yeah, it was a long time ago.) We played one game and I started feeling very anxious. I told her I wanted to leave so we went to visit some other friends on the other side of town. About a half hour after we left that bowling alley, a tornado took out half of it.

That sounds horrid.

After night at the bar celebrating having just divorced my 1st wife, God rest her soul, I went to sleep smoking a cigarette in bed. Which of course caught fire. When the room filled with smoke and I couldn't breath it woke me up.

Without moving, I looked over my right shoulder and the whole mattress up to and along my body was a red burning ember. I had to stick my head out the window to get a breath of air, feel around on the floor for a piece of my clothes, get another breath, more clothes till I could get outside.

When the firemen dragged it outside it hit the air and burst into flames. They said it was an older mattress, had it been a new one it would have put off poisonous gasses and I wouldn't have woken up.

It left a burn mark on the floor and the dresser on my side of the bed, but didn't singe a single hair on my arm or burn me at all. I have quit smoking and haven't drank in 22 years, so it was not a lesson lost on me.

I wouldn't say it was horrid, a bad way to wake up, but at least I woke up and life goes on for me. :)

Hmm, that's a story!
For others' well being I hope that was only a lie pulled by the firemen to learn you a lesson since I think it's weird if they would allow to make new matresses putting of poisonous gas when put on fire.

Smoking in bed is a quite common thing for accidents like that.
Still good thing you managed the whole thing. :D

Hmm, that's a story!
For others' well being I hope that was only a lie pulled by the firemen to learn you a lesson since I think it's weird if they would allow to make new matresses putting of poisonous gas when put on fire.

This was in 1984 and I don't know what materials they used back then.

I do know he looked to be anything but kidding or trying to scare me when he told me that, and looked like he knew what he was talking about. If you had seen the smoke in the apartment, the way that mattress was smoldering and how it burst into flames when it hit open air, there was no lesson needed taught.

Wow Tri, you do have 9 lives.
Can you imagine being trapped in a capsule with a pure 02 fire.
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/apollo-1-tragedy/
I have read the transcripts from the various committees investigating this and it really sounded preventable.
It was only a test. No rockets igniting, a simple frayed silver wire or something caused the spark.
The Velcro used inside the capsule was also found to be flammable under pure oxygen conditions.

What a nice thread! :)

Why is there nothing being said about the SVN revision 12.0-RELEASE was built from (just in case, it's r341666).

I was in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and the hotel I was in had a 13th floor and I was on that floor. There's some numbers I just don't like and that's one of them. It used to be hotels skipped 13, but they don't do that in Vegas anymore. I think it's because 13 is a lucky number in Asia and of course Vegas gets a lot of tourism from there. There's a lot of Asian property ownership there as well. In any case I'd be happy if FreeBSD were to skip to version 14.

I had a Bible once that said in a footnote that 666 can be interpreted as "perfect work" or "perfect imperfection". Six because God worked to create the cosmos for six days, (his work was imperfect until he rested on day seven) and three digits because three symbolises perfection.
I find it very interesting that two dominant and very bloody ideologies of the 20th century, Communism and Nazism, both had an unhealthy preoccupation with work: Communism with its emphasis on worker rebellion, production, the hammer and sickle etc., Nazism.. ? What was written over the gates of Auschwitz Birkenau? "Work Makes Free".
I don't think any of the above happened by accident.

Hmm, if we skip 13, we would also have to skip 14 on behalf of our Chinese friends, where 14 is interpreted as "guaranteed death". See here: Chinese Numerology

If we likewise respect unlucky numbers of all other cultures, I guess there won't be anything left to use as a version number....

Btw: I have seen hotels that did not have a 13th or 14th floor...

I think the hotels only do that for practical reasons. A lot of Americans probably ask for a different floor from 13. A lot of Asians probably ask for a different floor from 14. Just saves the front desk a lot of trouble. There would be no practical reason for FreeBSD to avoid 13 other than a consensus they should, which probably won't happen.

The practical reason for FreeBSD would be to avoid admins/users defecting in droves, as they would rather brave systemd than the dreaded number 13... nah, not going to happen... ;)

Let's just call it %1101 and smile all the way to the beach...

What do you do about versioning when you have FreeBSD 13.
Call me a weirdo but that version might get skipped over here.
I have a black cat and I still wouldn't run anything with 13 in it.
FreeBSD 12 better be good!
Maybe we could do a MS and call it FreeBSD 2020.

Got the number 13 tattooed on my neck - when the ink starts to itch, then the black will turn to red.

As for being lucky or unlucky, I often get the two confused.

Back