Am I superstitious? Re:FreeBSD 13

What do you do about versioning when you have FreeBSD 13.
Call me a weirdo but that version might get skipped over here.
I have a black cat and I still wouldn't run anything with 13 in it.
FreeBSD 12 better be good!
Maybe we could do a MS and call it FreeBSD 2020.

13 no longer means anything. It comes from the night of full moon, which was always the on 13th day of the month. The months and weeks are not the same, of how they were made based on the moon's cycles. The day that means something is when there's a full moon, that the word lunacy comes from, when more people are out at night, where they have statistics that there's more injuries on that night, etc...

The day that means something is when there's a full moon, that the word lunacy comes from, when more people are out at night, where they have statistics that there's more injuries on that night, etc...

Hey.... Who you calling a lunatic? ;)

13 no longer means anything.
Neither does 666 but I seem to remember Intel using 667 instead.
How about the first manned Apollo mission. Apollo 7. As in slot machines 7-7-7.
After they lost Gus and Friends on the pad they went straight to Apollo 7. Get the connection.
Symbolism of numbers is still a thing. Especially in marketing.

13 no longer means anything. It comes from the night of full moon, which was always the on 13th day of the month. The months and weeks are not the same, of how they were made based on the moon's cycles. The day that means something is when there's a full moon, that the word lunacy comes from, when more people are out at night, where they have statistics that there's more injuries on that night, etc...

How about the first manned Apollo mission. Apollo 7. As in slot machines 7-7-7.
After they lost Gus and Friends on the pad they went straight to Apollo 7. Get the connection.
Symbolism of numbers is still a thing. Especially in marketing.
Not for 13, considering its history of why it became an unlucky number to begin with, unless you Jinx yourself. Everything considered unlucky about it in ancient times was chosen because of that connection to full moon. A baker's dozen is not considered unlucky.

666 has more meaning for being unlucky, it is part of an anomaly from dividing that produces a repeating number.

Black cats in Japan, Central America and maybe Egypt are thought to be good luck. (Black cats originated from Egypt, and cats in general were good luck there)

Space missions are very important to not Jinx the thoughts and spirits of crew and engineers, but they did go on to 13.

There are a lot of reasons to skip certain numbers, because of the power of suggestion (psychology), and relevance to unfortunate evens, but with 13, I don't see it.

In other words, I understand why 13 is considered unlucky, so it's not scary. 666 is more scary because I don't understand it as a number and because I see it in a lot in symbolism. 13 is an every day counting number. Then again, 666 is part of the same anomaly as 333, which 3 is considered a lucky number.

It can also be considered unlucky for some that we use an operating system with a daemon logo.

Easily solved my friends; this is why we have /usr/src at our disposal. Just grab the source from svn.freebsd.org (so, when the time is right: svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/13 /usr/src, then apply some interesting patches to patch the heck out of the 13) and turn it into a nice warm 14.

Problem solved! <tadaaah!>

Of course there is one small other problem... Rumor has it that it can result in severe bad luck if you tempt the FreeBSD deities like this, they don't like their sources to be used for deceit :eek:

But then again... naah, that's probably all superstition :D

(I so couldn't resist) :)

Easily solved my friends; this is why we have /usr/src at our disposal. Just grab the source from svn.freebsd.org (so, when the time is right: svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/13 /usr/src, then apply some interesting patches to patch the heck out of the 13) and turn it into a nice warm 14.

Problem solved! <tadaaah!>

Of course there is one small other problem... Rumor has it that it can result in severe bad luck if you tempt the FreeBSD deities like this, they don't like their sources to be used for deceit :eek:
I often choose FreeBSD servers numbered 13, because I hoped there would be less congestion (when Internet speed were slower). It turned out, it was often about the same as others, or slightly more congested.

I live in flat 13 in block 13, so my address is 13/13!!

FreeBSD 12 better be good!
Maybe we could do a MS and call it FreeBSD 2020.
13 is one of my favorite prime numbers, right after 7, and 11. Eleven is unbeatable, though. In German language 11 = ELF codifies the principles of the french revolution "Égalité, Liberté, Fraternité" - (in a different order, than the original).

I am in the course of revamping my BLog, it's offline in the moment. Normal font will be Verdana 13, small text in Verdana 11, heading 1 in Verdana 23, heading 2 in Verdana 19, and heading 3 in Verdana 17. You want to try the prime number font-sizing, looks very smooth.

I don't understand. Do you mean the font size of Verdana must be more than 42 in order to have no problems reading the text without glasses?

42 has unsiversal significance. Look it up.

They did behavioral experiments with pigeons, where they would activate a lever, and randomly get a reward. Pigeons developed rituals like bobbing their heads and spinning around, hoping they had to do something else, along with activating that lever, to get that reward. It goes on to say, batters develop lucky rituals in baseball, because a little bit of luck is involved, because the ball moves faster than can be predicted or it's location observed before it's too late.

I trust my gut instincts and is how I got to be as old as I am.
They say gut instincts often work. It takes too long to think things out thoroughly when there's little time to react. IMO, intuition and gut instincts often give us lots of insight. Gut instincts/inutition can be faulty at times, but when it is, there is a reason for it.

Might as well chime in. Born on April 13th (same month and day as Thomas Jefferson), I have always felt honored and cursed.
I used to look ahead on the calendars as a child to see if my birthday was going to be Friday the 13th. Later I tried to study astrology to bring some kind of reassurance from the stars.

The Knights Templar were hunted down as heretics beginning
on the Friday the 13th, some say adding to the fear of that
day.

I put alot of time into study of math and the sciences - I think
Thomas Jefferson would approve!

666 is still a little special when it comes to numerology. One of the more essential numbers is 3 -> 6, 9 in the representation of 27. My memory is failing but I did quite a lot studies on those numbers. Also Tesla would have been proud.

666 is rotated (or inversed) 999 which equals 27. Also 666 -> 18 and you are back with 9.
Even if not interested in "spiritual meaning" the number 3 is special and valueable.

If you pair solid prime 3 with solid 2 you can build the rest of the numbers arithmetically. And basically 666 is solid 2's and 3's.

Some philosophers I've met were more for the number 1 but that didn't grab my attention as much.

Would love to give more on the subject but memory is an issue.

Back