Adopt an orphaned port project

I get error:

Code:
# nawk -F"|" '$6 == "ports@FreeBSD.org" {print $2}' /usr/ports/INDEX-`uname -r | cut -d'.' -f1`
nawk: can't open file /usr/ports/INDEX-11
 source line number 1

IIRC that list is of very regular contributors, usually src contributors. I think they have some more access/privileges internally.

IIRC that list is of very regular contributors, usually src contributors. I think they have some more access/privileges internally.
No, it's for all contributors. But there's nothing that adds a new contributor automatically. Someone has to add it manually. I'll add you, nunotex

You just need a valid email address.
In my case they're both somewhat related. It's the choice between my own personal domain or my GMail account. I'm leaning towards GMail for this as the information is publicly visible and I'm probably going to get more spam as a result. I'm just going to let Google filter out most of that crap.

Expect a patch some time soon (within a few days) :D

1. Some of these I use have not and do not really need to be updated they are so old yet still work. ie dockapps for wmaker. so there really is no need to purge them from the system on the grounds that no one is the maintainer of same said app.

Hi guys, what about ports that still have a maintainer listed, but have been orphaned?

Some high profile ports are been orphaned its scary.

pftop
ifstat
zfs-stats
mcrypt
mhash
and ruby-bdb

zfs-stats and pftop used for core freebsd features.
mcrypt and mhash depended on by lots of stuff.
ruby-bdb is needed by portupgrade a major ports maintainer tool.

When I ran the command to check for ports that have no maintainer, a lot of this list isn't there as they listed with a maintainer. There is also ports been removed because they not the latest version anymore some of them with claims of "unsupported by upstream" when that is not true. Would I be able to make new ports of old versions of software?

libunwind is another port, that is completely broken on clang 8.0 which is now the base compiler in FreeBSD, I fixed it locally to get it to compile (just had to update src tarball and distfiles file as the one in ports tree is 2 years old), but again it has a maintainer listed.

You have two different situations: orphaned ports are maintained by ports@ (aka the pool) which means we maintain them as possible. The other situation are the abandoned ports, those are the ports with a maintainer listed but who in practice don't maintain anything (and we don't get the notice when there is an update because that goes to the maintainer) .

In regards to the orphaned situation you can open a bug report with patch adding you as maintainer, and if the port need update/fixed they should also be done in the patch.

In case of an abandoned port basically the same except you should tell the port looks unmaintained, and the `maintainer` will be informed by e-mail to agree or not. If he/she don't tell anything in two weeks the port is yours (but this is not automatic/scripted), or if he/she say no and keep not maintaining the port, the port is also likely to be yours later. Sometimes there is some major blockers forbidding you to update the port.

Thank you.

Even if you've contributed thousands of ports over the years,
why anyone in their right mind should give you the "KEY?!",
-- "Commit Bit", I suppose! -- when you have such attitude?

See if a new version is available upstream.
Short story: when adopting a port, where are the Makefiles and metafiles that must be patched.

Please tell me what is "upstream" and "repository". I know what these terms mean but not where they are in FreeBSD land because there are svn and git possibilities.

Please tell me what is "upstream"
In the context of distributing/packaging software, "upstream" is the original software project (and the files they release, for opensource typically tarballs with source).
there are svn and git possibilities.
No. The only place where svn is still available is older releases of FreeBSD src that are still supported and started on svn. Everything else (docs, FreeBSD 13 and newer, and ports) is only available via git.

when adopting a port, where are the Makefiles and metafiles that must be patched.
In the ports tree. Pick a port (any port will do) and open the port's Makefile. They all have a MAINTAINER defined. If the MAINTAINER is set to ports@freebsd.org it's unmaintained, i.e. up for adoption. If you want to adopt such a port edit the Makefile change the MAINTAINER to your email address and submit it via a PR as a patch. If your patch is approved and committed, congratulations, you are now the proud owner of that port.

Thanks Zirias, SirDice.

Here are some URLs I collected. I already did a dry run to edit the makefile, compile the code, etc. There are two steps remaining.
1. do it again with the upstream version
2. issue a PR with attached patch

What would be the directory layout for the upstream and working copy on the same FreeBSD machine? Is it created with 'git diff' or just 'diff'

https://www.freshports.org/

GitHub - freebsd/freebsd-ports: FreeBSD ports tree (read-only mirror)

What would be the directory layout for the upstream
That's entirely up to the project. But this question seems to infer you think you need to host that project yourself. That's not the case. Unless it's your own project of course.

That's entirely up to the project. But this question seems to infer you think you need to host that project yourself. That's not the case. Unless it's your own project of course.
I think it can be done by clone or branch the upstream to local, mark the upstream as remote origin, edit the local, and then make a diff. But I need to study the tools some more.

I think it can be done by clone or branch the upstream to local, mark the upstream as remote origin, edit the local, and then make a diff.
I'm not sure you understand what 'upstream' means in this context. The 'upstream' is the original source. As a port maintainer you don't have to worry about that. Although it'll be good form if you liaise with the developers to get specific FreeBSD patches into their source in order to improve the original code. But how you do that will totally depend on the project itself. You don't always have access to their development source tree, sometimes all you have is a source tarball you downloaded from their website.

I'm not sure you understand what 'upstream' means in this context.

I worked on a coding team using CVS and SVN. Each developer branched from the latest release (usually). And later these branches were merged to create a new release. This was simple enough.

But 'upstream' and 'downstream' and patches by email are strange for me. But I can work with it given a little clarity.

This topic started with "See if a new version is available upstream." This is too vague, I need to know the URL. Likewise when 'repository" is mentioned. I see many repos, which one do I use and what is the URL.

github is nice, now run by microsoft. google is Allot cheaper to host projects. as to DiY a git site, the bandwidth is of course the issue, and google has that. that's what my shopping turned up.

# Intel C++ Compiler # Android Studio

I would like to work on one of these.

Is this the right place to ask about "wanted ports" or only orphans here?

Is there an orphaned package that is more important than bleeding edge graphics?

I am unsure though if it Intel can be done without kernel hacking (which i am not fully read up on). Intel released for ubuntu and that could mean reliance on linux kernel in awful ASM TLS GOT .gnu-tags ways, or not.

Android i like their speal of compiled from scratch open to public ... but I'm not so excited about doing VM work with an i5 4-cpu :) Might be slow progress.

I saw "swift" in the orphan list. I got and older 4.4.5 gcc to do that using Sun java instead of gcc's. it's not orphaned for that is it? Java not in gcc? (anyway doesn't apple do Swift?)

What would be an orphan or wanted port that, if compeleted, would "be wanted enough that admins would not refuse to deal with the eventual minor port file infractions", that is, I am not sent an automated email poudiere failed and admins refuse to answer mail? What would they actually be interested in?

So I'm trying to work myself up to try maintaining a port I use. However, it got depreciated before I managed to do so.

I'm now struggling on where to find the makefile as it isn't snatched anymore into my port tree. Can you provide advice on how to restore a port project?

Back