2014 Forums Migration To Xenforo

Excellent, to me XenForo is the best forums software out there and it's so much nicer that phpBB. Thanks for the improvement.

Maybe it's a more modern software, so I guess. It seems everybody likes this new layout - but me. It looks like plastic.

Is there a chance the forum will match the UI style/layout of the main site? it just looks inconsistent to me when switching between the forums and the main site.

Is there a chance the forum will match the UI style/layout of the main site? it just looks inconsistent to me when switching between the forums and the main site.
The appearance will be tweaked further and there will probably be a couple of so-called themes to choose from (in fact, there are three already). However, appearance isn't the highest priority at the moment.

The new forums seem to do a decent job from a user perspective. Composing, searching for and reading posts are straightforward. I had no major problems with the phpBB forums either, but if it makes your job as an admin easier, we'll all be better off.

One minor complaint is that loading a forum page starts an npviewer.bin process. Does this serve an important purpose? Is it easy to disable? I could always turn off Flash on my end.

Thanks again to everyone who made the transition so smooth.

One minor complaint is that loading a forum page starts an npviewer.bin process. Does this serve an important purpose? Is it easy to disable? I could always turn off Flash on my end.
That's probably the file uploader which is a Flash applet. You can disable it in you user preferences.

I typically re-edit a post several times within the first minute or so after posting, to clarify and correct etc. However, the edit button seems to activate the page reload sequence, but the page does not actually reload. So the post is left in rough draft status. It could be just in this browser's setup, but maybe someone else notices it also. ( I'd test it in "chrome", but the build fails often ( _stack check_fail or something) and the package segfaults.).

I have no problems with any of that on Chrome, Firefox, Android Chrome and Android Firefox.

I have noticed that when I am logged in to the forum I can see the latest post in a thread by clicking on the update time (e.g. "Friday at 1:38 PM", or "13 minutes ago"). However, if I am not actually logged in to the forum I don't see a way to go to the most recent post of a thread. Am I missing it?

I typically re-edit a post several times within the first minute or so after posting, to clarify and correct etc. However, the edit button seems to activate the page reload sequence, but the page does not actually reload. So the post is left in rough draft status. It could be just in this browser's setup, but maybe someone else notices it also. ( I'd test it in "chrome", but the build fails often ( _stack check_fail or something) and the package segfaults.).
I'm not sure if it's the same as your particular problem, but I get similar problems if JavaScript is disabled in any browser I'm using. I just keep JavaScript on for the forums as I consider the site pretty safe, but of course "to each his own". :)

I don't know if this is native to the new forum software, or in the custom template, but:
  1. The old forums had a preview button right underneath the "quickpost" field; I now have to click (and wait for a page reload twice to get a preview (first on "more options", and then "preview").
  2. The preview is a lot narrower than the actual post; IMHO the layout should match as much as possible, otherwise it's not much of a preview.

Is there any chance that the option to view changes made to your messages is coming back?

I know that XenForo can support this, and considering how it is common practice for the moderators to weed out spelling and grammatical errors I think it would be useful to have this feature back once more.

XenForo does keep post edit history, but it's not clear whether it can be shown to the poster in addition to moderators.

Edit history is specifically and exclusively accessible to mods/admins. It is so by (XenForo) design.

The Preview button (in the main editor, that is) is currently a paid external add-on which may well end up in a future release of XenForo.

FTP URLs are parsed wrong, the link omits the all important colon after the ftp protocol specifier:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/

FTP URL parsing fixed by danger@.

Hi,

HTTP links seem to be broken at least for me at the moment. I tried it in two browsers in case it was a mistake on my part but the same thing happens. Please see Thread 47280 post #17 for example.

EDIT: Oops! I didn't see the announcement. Sorry about the noise.

I believe these are now fixed, please let me know if there are any further problems. Thanks.

I've noticed that copy/pasting anything in the rich text editor inserts double line feeds to the text requiring manual clean up of the extra line feeds. The BB Code Editor does not have this problem.

It seems everybody likes this new layout - but me. It looks like plastic.
I personally prefer vBulletin but am willing to give XenForo a try before forming an opinion. I seriously stopped coming here because of phpBB, all of the broken links everywhere due to malformed BBcode. blech.

Thank you for giving us another chance.

Again, remember that there is more than one style. These can be chosen in your user preferences.

Thanks for providing the new forum - I am really enjoying the interface!

Quick question: is there a way to search for posts I have liked? I could not find a way...

woodsb02, it seems like it isn't built-in feature of XF and an add-on would be needed. Is anyone else interested in this?

I've noticed that copy/pasting anything in the rich text editor inserts double line feeds to the text requiring manual clean up of the extra line feeds. The BB Code Editor does not have this problem.
Added to the list, thanks for reporting.

Is it a big problem, to make a clickable "Code" tag? I think it's the most used tag. All other needed tags are there, but no "Code". It's annoying to write it per hand. (Or where have you hidden it?)

Back