14.0 DMA doesn't include gecos in From: headers

I've just installed a 14.0 system and chose to use the new default MTA DragonFly Mail Agent as this should be perfect for this system. I have configured it for remote delivery via SMARTHOST. I have noticed however that the From: headers only include the e-mail address, and not the gecos field (account owner) as is typical. I've not found anything seemingly relevant in dma(8), /etc/dma/dma.conf, or the handbook, so the first question is are others observing the same behavior?

Second question, though I've not yet tested it, is this possibly a consequence of hardening options? I ask because I enabled all of the hardening options during installation. The handbook's documentation does not mention masking the gecos field, but "proc_debug - Disable process debugging facilities for unprivileged users" suggests perhaps this could be causing this behavior. On the other hand, mail sent by root doesn't include its gecos in the From: header either.

I've taken for granted seeing the gecos information in From: headers for so long that its absence is surprising, though not critical to my use.

--Larry

Thanks for confirming you're seeing this as well. Do you recall if you applied hardening options when you installed the system? I haven't reinstalled without them to see if it behaves any differently. There is some discussion about From header rewriting in the issues associated with https://github.com/corecode/dma, but it is unclear (to me) what they settled on.

--Larry

Hi Larry,

No hardening options at all. I only built this VM to have a look DMA and to determine whether it would allow me to replace postfix for one particular use case.

Thanks. While DMA does seem to work for the most basic use cases, I'm thinking that I'll continue using postfix.

--Larry

Back