Chromium does not compile under FreeBSD 13.3

www/firefox doesn't compile for me, either, I end up doing a package instead... 😩

Sometimes I wonder how do packagers even pull off compiling the package in the first place? 😲 (Aside from using conservative Makefile options for default, which I tried and failed anyway)

My system is damaged. Installing the package that has been created using the default settings is not able to fix the problems that I have. I need to compile it from ports,in that way I can choose different settings that may fix my problems (firefox and chromium do not play some kind of streaming videos,they say that they need the codecs).

Alain De Vos : do you think that is useful if I open a new bug ticket for the bug that I found ? "My" bug is different from your,but on a fresh installation of 13.3 even for me chromium does not compile for a compilation error.

Any reason that a package from Latest won't fix that?

Sorry if I was confused and I didn't realize that you talked about a package,while I've compiled it from ports,so for me it is the compilation from the source code that failed,not the installation from packages.

Sorry if I was confused and I didn't realize that you talked about a package,while I've compiled it from ports,so for me it is the compilation from the source code that failed,not the installation from packages.
Sorry, I'm confused here... you say that you compiled it, but in the same sentence, you say that your compilation failed... I think that from that, anyone would conclude that your compilation (not package installation) failed.

And, I can see that you're trying to solve those compilation issues.

I have been trying to compile chromium for the last 4 days or so and could not succeed either. It actually crashes the computer during compilation, which requires a hard reset.
NapoleonWils0n: I am not very familiar with Poudriere, so I didn't follow that path. However, I just tried to compile chromium via portmaster as described here and failed.

I have been trying to compile chromium for the last 4 days or so and could not succeed either. It actually crashes the computer during compilation, which requires a hard reset.
NapoleonWils0n: I am not very familiar with Poudriere, so I didn't follow that path. However, I just tried to compile chromium via portmaster as described here and failed.
Usually, you need a ton of RAM to compile something like Chromium... That's why devs go for tons of RAM - even a relatively slow processor can take on that monstrous compilation task if there's enough RAM to support it.

Anybody looked at the chromium bugs fixed in the last month? Are they relevant for FreeBSD? Is it still safe to surf the web with chromium?

I've found a new,nice bug on chromium...I'm going to open a new bug ticket...anyway I read that chromium,that now seems called "chrome",supports widevine,but Firefox says that it does not support it...

Anybody looked at the chromium bugs fixed in the last month? Are they relevant for FreeBSD? Is it still safe to surf the web with chromium?

The FreeBSD port has chromium-122.0.6261.111. My Mac wants to update to 122.0.6261.129. I have no idea whether there are security bugs hiding in those last digits.

I didn't measure, sorry. The VM has 64 GB and 64 hardware threads and doesn't run out of memory. So it must be less than 1 GB per -j/hardware-thread/compiler-process.
I think that total amount of RAM matters more than per-thread amount of RAM if you're trying to just finish the compilation in whatever time frame it takes. OTOH, if you're trying to optimize the compilation and drive down the amount of time it takes, then per-thread amount of RAM is worth looking at.

Chromium does not build for me. But what is worse is in the error logs there is nothing except "Error" which is not instructive.
So it's an "unknown error".

It is bugged even on Quarterly...

Alain De Vos please provide the required log (as an attachment in Bugzilla).

In the meantime:

1710958911132.png

Chromium does not build for me. But what is worse is in the error logs there is nothing except "Error" which is not instructive.
So it's an "unknown error".
The log clearly says:
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to the maintainer
When doing so, there will be a distinctive error. (Some people would be able to find the respective error in a parallel log as well - if You provide it)

Back