Chromium does not compile under FreeBSD 13.3

Are there websites who need spoofing ?
Yeah, lots of US-based sites require User Agent-based spoofing, too. I'm under impression that the reason they stick with that nonsense mechanism is because it's too much work to get rid of it, so they're not gonna bother. 😏

Yeah, lots of US-based sites require User Agent-based spoofing, too. I'm under impression that the reason they stick with that nonsense mechanism is because it's too much work to get rid of it, so they're not gonna bother. 😏

yeah,sure. Furthermore I think that a lot of webmasters want users to use Windows. In Italy this kind of mindset is still well rooted , not in young people, but as a cultural residue.

Code:
% pkg provides bin/chrome$
Name    : chromium-122.0.6261.111
Comment : Google web browser based on WebKit
Repo    : FreeBSD-ports
Filename: usr/local/bin/chrome
%

The running application presents itself as Chromium.

but the Filename is called : /usr/local/bin/chrome :p

I've used a different user agent switcher extension. I tried this one :

Not even that is good. If you give a look at the informations provided by the parser :

Code:
Sec-Ch-Ua: "Google Chrome";v="123", "Not:A-Brand";v="8", "Chromium";v="123"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Mobile: ?0
Sec-Ch-Ua-Full-Version: "123.0.6312.58"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Arch: "x86"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform: "Linux"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform-Version: "6.5.0"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Model: ""
Sec-Ch-Ua-Bitness: "64"
Sec-Ch-Ua-Full-Version-List: "Google Chrome";v="123.0.6312.58", "Not:A-Brand";v="8.0.0.0", "Chromium";v="123.0.6312.58"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0

The new extension is not able to change the value :

Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform: "Linux"

to this value :

Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform: "Windows"

and infact,www.nowtv.it reports "unsupported browser". Even on Linux !

Not fully related, but I'm surprised by the length of the build, which in my case is over 16 hours.
The machine is an Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 32Gb RAM, 16Gb of swap.
Any ideas on how to make it faster?

New Chrome in ports, with security fixes.

Strange, why isn't it in 14 latest?

1712826766939.png

Not fully related, but I'm surprised by the length of the build, which in my case is over 16 hours.
The machine is an Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 32Gb RAM, 16Gb of swap.
Any ideas on how to make it faster?
You do have a pretty old CPU here, a 4th gen i7. Current gen is 14th, and a lot of people are at least on 10th. Newer stuff is faster, because it does have different circuitry designs. Dunno how far ahead you can upgrade your CPU without needing to upgrade the mobo and everything else, but probably not very far, a 6th gen would be optimistic. Beyond that, the CPU just would not physically fit into the socket.

I normally plan for overnight jobs in such situations. Just start the compilation and go to sleep. Wake up, you can think straight after adequate sleep, and check on the progress. :)

Attachments

• 1712859034122.png
    1712859034122.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 17
You do have a pretty old CPU here, a 4th gen i7. Current gen is 14th, and a lot of people are at least on 10th. Newer stuff is faster, because it does have different circuitry designs. Dunno how far ahead you can upgrade your CPU without needing to upgrade the mobo and everything else, but probably not very far, a 6th gen would be optimistic. Beyond that, the CPU just would not physically fit into the socket.

I normally plan for overnight jobs in such situations. Just start the compilation and go to sleep. Wake up, you can think straight after adequate sleep, and check on the progress. :)
Gosh, I didn't realize how old it is! That's the beauty of FreeBSD though: old hardware but it's still rocking like a teen!

www/chromium failed (pictured).

You could try :
Code:
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/chromium}
MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes
.endif

Here Chromium compiles fine in 7 hours.
Using Freebsd-14.0-release-p6. Poudriere.

git clone --branch 2024Q2 https://git.freebsd.org/ports.git /usr/ports

make.conf:
Code:
BATCH=yes
CPUTYPE?=alderlake
MTREE_FOLLOWS_SYMLINKS= -L
OPENSSLBASE=/usr/local
WITHOUT_CCACHE_BUILD=yes
WITHOUT_MANCOMPRESS=yes

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= mysql=10.11m
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= java=17
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=openssl31
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= pgsql=16
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= php=8.2
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= nodejs=20

LICENSES_ACCEPTED+= HPLIP_PLUGIN bolthole NONE

I assume a distinction between fallout and timeout.

The latter might indicate a need for greater resources, server-side (not exactly a problem with the port).

Back