Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft

It seems like there's always some entity trying to take a jab at controlling an evolving mess that is Linux. They've got Docker, Kubernetes, Snaps, AppImage.. etc. The platform is inherently broken. Maybe someday Stallman and Linus will decide to join forces.. but then pigs will fly also.

Maybe that is what he is about to do there, create a standard for that. Plus a reference implementation.

After decades of undying success under Windows, it finally arrives with systemd v255 under Linux: the Blue Screen of Death!

If the kernel panics during boot, it will display an error message and QR code, just like its Windows version.

A quality feature brought to you by Microsoft[tm].

It even has its own man page: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/systemd-bsod.service.html

Actually the Windows blue screen is a really good feature, and was even more useful before they removed some info it displays. It enables the kernel to display a message to the user in case of a panic, and do so even though there is a graphical system running which might no longer be functional. This is very useful and a huge improvement over X11 which stays there when the kernel panics and swallows up the error message and backtrace.

What Pöttering added to systemd is just userland log messages that make it through syslog being blown up obscuring all context, It is worse than nothing.

Actually the Windows blue screen is a really good feature, and was even more useful before they removed some info it displays.
I think you make a good point, in that the BSOD is synonymous with Windows' general unreliability in popular culture, but a screen which displays an error message, to assist with diagnostics, isn't a bad thing. Don't shoot the messenger.

But as it progressed to puerile messages such as "something stopped working" or whatever, it became more of a useless annoyance.

Microsoft reacted to, what I would call, the "hysteria" over the BSOD messages and in Windows XP (If I recall correctly, though may have been 2000), added and enabled by default, an option to just silently reboot when any crash that would trigger one would occur. In my opinion this was worse.

To be clear though, I think Poettering will ape whatever Microsoft or Apple do regardless. Gnome project are similar, in that they implemented a registry (dconf) and the goal of the desktop is to prevent customisation. They also added "stopped working" style pop up errors at some point, which leads us to conclude that gnome is very much developed as a consumer product.

gnome integrated systemd early on and its developers don't regard any bugs which manifest without systemd installed as bugs and are now the main driving force pushing wayland, which many feel isn't mature enough yet. Without the "entanglement" in projects like gnome or KDE, systemd adoption in Linux would be nowhere near as advanced as it is today - I feel they will use the same strategy with Wayland in their haste to put X.org behind them and move everyone forcibly to the half working solution - then try to fix the thing.

So a BSOD feature in my view is just a symptom of what's going on with these projects.

To these people they are the developers of the "Linux OS" and everyone and everything else is just irrelevant.

OT. microsoft is just a stinking monopolist. They are late, always, and/or offer inferior products: Meets (they got it during covid), Office 365 (GDocs there since 10 years min). OneNote (sync nightmares). Outlook (does not respect any html css standard, try to put a signature). Exchange does not respct standard and add dumb features like “take back the email” ( it just did not send it). Do i hate them? Yes, i do. But i have very good reasons, they are the worst. When you buy a computer ask to have it without windows preinstalled.

"Windows support" wouldn't even be able to diagnose if they forgot to plug in the power cable.
"Windows support" is usually what amounts to something like:

"I can't get past the BIOS POST..."
"run sfc /scannow"
"it won't boot at all"
"download the Windows Media Creation tool, burn a Windows 10 ISO and boot from that..."
"Ok, but the system won't boot"
"Boot Windows, open a command prompt and enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"
"!!??"

i.e. the person asking the question should be at their hardware vendor's support and the person answering is pretty much on auto pilot.

I've spent hours on BSODs over the years, analysing crash dumps, etc and in the end it was "reinstall". The cause remains a mystery and for the Windows IT people, it being a complete mystery ("just one of those things") is an acceptable outcome.

"Windows support" is usually what amounts to something like:

"I can't get past the BIOS POST..."
"run sfc /scannow"
"it won't boot at all"
"download the Windows Media Creation tool, burn a Windows 10 ISO and boot from that..."
"Ok, but the system won't boot"
"Boot Windows, open a command prompt and enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"
"!!??"

i.e. the person asking the question should be at their hardware vendor's support and the person answering is pretty much on auto pilot.

I've spent hours on BSODs over the years, analysing crash dumps, etc and in the end it was "reinstall". The cause remains a mystery and for the Windows IT people, it being a complete mystery ("just one of those things") is an acceptable outcome.

"reinstall windows from scratch" - thats their standard answer for 100% of all bugs/annoyances/broken drivers/whateverShitWindowsComesUpAfterNextUpdate...

Yep. And rather than update in an enterprise environment (lets be honest, it won't work anyway), they deploy an entirely new image.
So inefficient and basically treats the whole install like a big black box that they have no real clue about.

Yep. And rather than update in an enterprise environment (lets be honest, it won't work anyway), they deploy an entirely new image.
So inefficient and basically treats the whole install like a big black box that they have no real clue about.

TBH, I also have an image for a fully patched, stripped-down (i.e. gaming, xbox, store, telemetry, office-trial and a bunch of other crap nobody needs/wants in an enterprise environment) and pre-configured installation of windows 10 that I simply dd onto the disks of new clients (10th gen NUCs everywhere). Every ~1-2 months I boot that clean image on a spare client, apply the latest patches and re-clone the image.
If on some client windows comes up with some BS that takes longer than an hour to fix, I simply back up the userdata (i.e. firefox and thunderbird profile and maybe some local documents) and nuke that thing from orbit with a fresh image. I couldn't care less about troubleshooting that crap, I have better use for my time...

I couldn't care less about troubleshooting that crap, I have better use for my time...
Indeed. So basically it *is* a big black box that no-one has real clue about.

But I suppose we see a similar thing with gconf/dconf, etc for Gnome. Rarely anyone "fixes" it when something strange happens. They just delete it and start a fresh.

So basically it *is* a big black box that no-one has real clue about.
why should anyone care about such an inferior piece of software? It's not like you could change anything about it if you take the time to debug it. So waste as little time on that junk as possible...

bah ! like reboot is the standard solution in Windows for ANY malfunction. Detestable, despicable ... disgustibus ! I am so glad i moved to Free Software 25 years ago, that brought back the joy of computing for me! :)
"reinstall windows from scratch" - thats their standard answer for 100% of all bugs/annoyances/broken drivers/whateverShitWindowsComesUpAfterNextUpdate.
"reinstall windows from scratch" - thats their standard answer for 100% of all bugs/annoyances/broken drivers/whateverShitWindowsComesUpAfterNextUpdate..

Back