Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft

Lennart Poettering, the mastermind and founder of Avahi, Pulseaudio and most notable Systemd, quietly left Redhat (so IBM) a short while ago. It's now officially confirmed that his new employer is going to be Microsoft, Inc. He will continue working on Systemd there.

People are now hoping that systemd-registry and systemd-activedirectory will become standard parts of the default distribution pretty soon! Or maybe Microsoft finally wants to migrate Windows to the Linux kernel?

Many people though do agree that Poettering's design philosophy matches pretty well with Microsoft, which can be summarised as "Internet Explorer is now an eternal, integral part of Windows."

Don't be so harsh. Maybe he will feel at home there. Let's see what happens, it might be for the best.

it might be for the best.
For whom? RedHat, Linux? ;)
Yes, I am kidding. Anyone doing this business knows there is often a large gap between requirements, design and implementation. I can see an argument around systemd that implementation didn't follow the design correctly, while at the same time an argument about the design didn't follow the requirements.
That said, my personal opinion is that systemd overly complicates things and is not really an advancement. But that's my opinion and I'm fine if others think systemd is "better than sliced bread".

"Internet Explorer is now an eternal, integral part of Windows."
And now it's not :) I agree with your point.

Well now that they're not employing the person responsible for trying to absorb everything into systemd, perhaps the benefits of doing more of it will be properly inspected. However if there's pushback, backing out of a systemd investment is going to be... difficult.

Returning to human readable logs would be a start.
Somehow we manage.... I really like our auto archiving logging. That is binary logging at its best.

It's possible he keeps working on systemd from Microsoft. Embrace, extend, extinguish.

My long term prediction is Microsoft will adopt the Linux kernel and some other aspects e.g. systemd as it is a glue layer.

systemd is cancer.

When that happens, there will be an insane amount of forks, then they diverge, then they collapse.

I always found the naming of:
  • GNU/Linux
  • systemd/Linux
to be quite useful to discern the difference between an ad-hoc scripts approach and the monolithic systemd approach. However these days I suppose it would be dangerously close to:
  • Microsoft/Linux
Microsoft truly are going to enjoy stating that they are the lead developers of the underlying Linux user-land. Its going to be glorious ;)

When that happens, there will be an insane amount of forks, then they diverge, then they collapse.
No real reason why that would be true, it's already all over the show.

Linux (proper, the kernel) & systemd are independent of the rest of the system. Whatever Microsoft hypothetically plonk on top can be totally closed source.

That would not be Microsofts doing. There are enough rabid anti-MS zealots there to do it. They will introduce incompatibilities with the intend to distance the thing from evil MS. Then add a bit "holier than you" attitude, one or two new features that some apps want but others break and there you are.
All MS needs to do then is stand at the side, slow clap, and of course offer their own distro with support contracts for azure.

You must be young.
Sadly, no. MS has read SunTzu and Maciavelli. And some things from the lead safe boxes in places no one knows of.

They will initiate it, with plausible deniability. They will simply create the right circumstances, maybe egg some people on a bit, and then watch the crowd b*chslap each other. They will be in the clear. Best way to fight a war. And then maybe they will "help" the last one standing back up by spending some money on them, with expectations of course. Let's see who is that. In Demolition Man, some fast food joint (Taco Bell?) had won the franchise wars and had all the restaurants. Maybe, in 5 years, MS will buy Suse? Or more exactly, the smoldering remains.

Back