Games?

What are some "good" games available for FreeBSD? Ones that require some brain-work to the end. Or an FPS, somewhat like Call of Duty?

Right now the only one I have bothered to install is Mahjong, and I am pretty bored with it by now.

BTW, I am 80 years old.

Ken

What are some "good" games available for FreeBSD? Ones that require some brain-work to the end. Or an FPS, somewhat like Call of Duty?

Right now the only one I have bothered to install is Mahjong, and I am pretty bored with it by now.

BTW, I am 80 years old.

Ken
I run Diablo 2 LoD with wine.

And here are some videos from RoboNuggie:

I've only tested a few. I followed the Vermaden guide for native Urban Terror and it's flawless. I played world of padman with wine. Also Hitman 2:Silent Assassin and Half Life. I haven't tried any other games yet. But I did install steam with linuxulator and all the native Linux titles seemed to launch but not the dxvk/proton titles. I haven't tried with 13.2 RELEASE yet.

I forgot cod2 and cod4 in wine work as well.

I keep editing this because I remember I tested a few more. I tested doom 3 and quake wars enemy territory and those both worked as well. I used wine for those.

I plan to do more game testing when I get my desktop system set up again. Could be a while, waiting to move and most my stuff is packed away in boxes.

Depending on what's "good" for you,
there are some choices:

Running natively on FreeBSD:

https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/games

As hbsd already pointed out, there are several versions/clones/variations of unix's classic nethack,
even with graphics.

Many like 0ad, a clone of MS' Age of Empires.
Recently I just checked out minetest, some kind of openworld.
I also played a bit flare, which is a hack'n'slash kind like Diablo.
For a while I played endless sky, a 2D space explore, travel, trade, and combat game with lots of very nice fotos (install the high resolution graphics version is a must!)
I took a short peek at the space adventure sim pioneer, which is quite large, and very complex (too complex for me).
opencity, lincity, or simutrans are also worth a try if you like to build.
There also is a clone of Master of Orion 3 available, freeorion.
There's quite a choice of games available, partially real good ones.
Point is, most don't provide the nice graphics you are used to by big commercial providers,
and some are not what I would call "finished", or "finetuned."
For me also some offer too many options to be set.
I lose myself fumbling with options between "cheating" and "way too hard" instead of playing the game, so losing interest in it quickly.

However:
You have to give some a shot for yourself.
The list were way too long to give even short revisions for each,
which would also be very subjective, of course.

Running not natively on FreeBSD you have more choices:
Using wine, dosbox, or a virtual machine like VirtualBox, you shall be capable to run any software from other systems.
So you shall be able to play any game on FreeBSD.
So far the theory.

In real life there are some strings attached:
Besides you may not observe the smooth running of current 3D games like they were running natively,
you may get some probs to get them even running, especially new games, especially with 3D.

In theory wine would be the best choice to run any Windows software,
but in reality wine is tricky to be set up to have the sw run smoothly.
You may face a lot of "missing library", errors, and other config issues.
winecfg and winetricks may help with some but not all programs.
Better first learn about 32/64bit, WINEPREFIX, and run the sh .386something script the wine installer mentions,
before even bother to try some serious stuff with wine.

For myself I run factorio under wine (but cannot connect to the website, so no mods but vanilla only), and with larger plants the game slows down like it were running on 10y old hardware.

On the other side I have XP running in VirtualBox to play
Master of Orion 2 (much better than 3), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (4 & 5 are not running because of 3D issues) and Diablo (1).

Summery:

Best chose old games (>20y).
Proven to be good games, least issues.

Workaround:

Have a second partition/drive/machine just for games,
and play the games natively under Windows.

Ones that require some brain-work to the end.
I'm working on one that should fulfill this requirement. Ok, mentioning it here is a shameless plug (sorry!) because a) I love retro games and b) I love coding on the C64, so, this project is actually a C64 game 😜

But, good emulators are available on FreeBSD. E.g. the "de facto standard" emulators/vice, or emulators/emu64 (which also does a nice job emulation wise and I'm sure some people will like its GUI).

So, here's a preview (playable of course!): Stoneage64 Preview 2

edit: to get this at least a bit back on track, IMHO, many old games (and some newer "retro games") offer nice game concepts and require some thinking, so I'd generally recommend having a look at the tons of "abandonware" you will find for classic platforms ... FreeBSD ports offer emulators for many of them 😉

...sorry, I simply misunderstood the genre of games you're looking for.

You may check out:
sokoban, boulderdash, digger, or one of their many clones,
atomix, oxyd (enigma), bomber, are other I can recommend.
There are lots of puzzle games

Some of the best games you can install in seconds with pkg are:

OpenArena
Xonotic
OpenLara
0 A.D.

0 A.D. has already been mentioned but the other three have not.
OpenArena has over 8000 maps and some of them look too old fashioned, but some maps are actually more fun than what you see in the best commercial games.
OpenArena is similar to Quake 3 which is still the best shooter (ever) for many people. This is a game that should always be mentioned.

You also have World of Padman and it has no anti-aliasing so it looks very unpolished graphically but you might not see this when you're 80 years old :)

In theory wine would be the best choice to run any Windows software,
but in reality wine is tricky to be set up to have the sw run smoothly.
You may face a lot of "missing library", errors, and other config issues.
winecfg and winetricks may help with some but not all programs.
Better first learn about 32/64bit, WINEPREFIX, and run the sh .386something script the wine installer mentions,
before even bother to try some serious stuff with wine.

I do use Wine a lot and everything what i do have found out so far is collected in games/suyimazu, so that other people can use stuff like Skype for example without any Wine knownledge.

Did it.
(you are the port's maintainer of it.)

Well, like winetricks it's only a help if the software you want to use is on the list.
None of the programs/games (only exception Diablo II LoD) I want to run, is on the list.
Btw. I'd had it appreciated if I could have found this list, and look at it before I install the package.
This brings me back to my point, alrady mentioned:
installing software under wine can be really tricky, if you don't know, which libraries, prefixes etc. are needed.

But to me it's not that important.
I'm trying to cut down on my gaming anyway 😁

However:
Thanks anyway.

btw:
The OP may could use your help on Suyimazu on his other issue with pegasus-mail.

also added it to the application list of Suyimazu
So YOU added pegasus-mail to Suyimazu.
Cool.
That means, you're not "only" the port's maintainer, but part of Suyimazu project resp. it's your baby?
That means, you're quite versed with adding stuff to wine.
Since I don't want to bother you with "can you add this, and that, and this.... to ..." can you link me something besides wine's official homepage where I can dig into wine more?

BTW, I am 80 years old.

Ken

Jeeze you're 80 and play COD? Someday I'll figure out how to port it... most likely using linux port of some sort.

[…] [Games] that require some brain-work to the end. […]
games/warzone2100 is a real-time strategy game setting in a dystopian future. You construct and command tanks (later also cyborgs) to fight an AI that’s gone rogue. I claim it’s a good game, because the graphics are decent, the battles get quite intense, and even though there’s a “Very easy” setting and you can decrease the simulation speed, I lost multiple times.

games/simutrans and games/wesnoth have already been mentioned, but they are my favorites, too. I experienced performance issues with games/0ad once there are too many units on the map, but it’s otherwise good, too.​

Back