Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Antix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Debian. I also have laptops with Ubuntu Studio, which sets up jackd nicely.

When having to do archeology I find that Rocky Linux is the best of the Redhat EL clones. Only problem is that you usually get asked to work with a release that is even older than you were afraid of and you can't have nice toys after all.

I tried Devuan to avoid systemd, but I found that the startup scripts are all messy even if you technically don't run systemd. There is none of the ease of FreeBSD's rc even in Devuan. Debian doesn't integrate ZFS, that is nagging me.

Debian and Devuan: both with openrc.
For work: in both desktop (one laptop and many VMs in bhyve) and various embedded systems (arm/aarch64).

Debian. I also have laptops with Ubuntu Studio, which sets up jackd nicely.

When having to do archeology I find that Rocky Linux is the best of the Redhat EL clones. Only problem is that you usually get asked to work with a release that is even older than you were afraid of and you can't have nice toys after all.

I tried Devuan to avoid systemd, but I found that the startup scripts are all messy even if you technically don't run systemd. There is none of the ease of FreeBSD's rc even in Devuan. Debian doesn't integrate ZFS, that is nagging me.
You can have a look at MX-linux. It also uses sysv-rc init system.

Currently I use "Manjaro". It has systemd which i don't like. But the software repository with AUR is HUGE.
There is no app you don't find.

Debian for reliability and stability.

Ubuntu when I need to run really new hardware. But I revert to Debian when the hardware support catches up (Debian 12 "bookworm" with Linux 6.1 LTS is due in June).

RHEL for income. No question. RedHat pretty much owns the big end of town.

And I put up with systemd on all of them, because, even when I do have a choice, it's the path of lowest resistance.

But I have been using FreeBSD as my "daily driver" for more than 25 years, and that's not too likely to change... Elegant design, great features, excellent community.

Gentoo openrc and Debian in bhyve, Gentoo for fun and planned possible hobby project, Have been using Gentoo since I had a 486.
Debian a test install as my first bhyve client.
Void in a NUC for weekly copies of my TrueNAS Core.
RHEL at work.

Debian.

In the late 90s I tried Slackware, Red Hat. Red Hat was my favorite. Since 2011 I use Debian as my main linux system, the first one was 'Squeeze' (didn't use Linux from 2000 to 2010).

Debian, mainly for stability and because most of proprietary (no Open Source) software/drivers for Linux comes in .deb/.rpm packages.

Artix
- Pacman from arch
- Gui installer from Manjaro
- And multiple avaliable init systems all working well with the package manager
(I personaly like runit)...

Your poll is skewed and the questions in the OP do not necessarily equate to a "favourite".

You also appear to ask for a "favourite" distribution, yet it appears you are focusing on the init system:
Manjaro (arch/systemd)
Mint (ubuntu/systemd)
MX (debian/SysV)
Devuan (Debian/SysV)
Gentoo (Openrc)
Your first four options are derivatives. The second, third and fourth options in particular are all derivatives of either Debian or Ubuntu (itself a Debian derivative, but admittedly quite a relevant one). So why not, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, as the first four?

No sign of anything Red Hat or SUSE based, surely some of those as the next few options?

Not sure there is any real point to this thread? Are you here to compare inits, or to provoke users into comparing inits?

Bye coincidence the distro's i use are derivatives. And I added the init system just for information. Note some derivatives have a large user base, but are not used as frequently in work/company environments. Everyone is free to answer to a question what he wants. It enables a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back