OpenBOX Can you drag windows in Openbox?

In my Linux/Openbox installation, I can press Alt and grab and drag windows around with the mouse.

I imported my entire LXDE configuration from Linux to FreeBSD, but that feature isn't working in FreeBSD.

I can drag them if I grab them by the title bar in FreeBSD, but I have the title bars always hidden in Linux. I have to unhide them in FreeBSD

Does somebody know how to achieve the Alt-grab in FreeBSD?

I use this feature of Openbox all the time on FreeBSD.

Here is my entire config:

- https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/07/01/freebsd-desktop-part-12-configuration-openbox/

I believe this is the part you need at ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<openbox_config xmlns="http://openbox.org/3.6/rc">

<!-- (...) -->

<mouse>

<!-- MOUSE / FRAME / CONTEXT -->
    <context name="Frame">

<!-- MOUSE / FRAME / MOVE -->
      <mousebind button="A-Left" action="Drag">
        <action name="Raise"/>
        <action name="Move"/>
      </mousebind>

<!-- MOUSE / FRAME/ RESIZE -->
      <mousebind button="A-Right" action="Drag">
        <action name="Raise"/>
        <action name="Resize"/>
      </mousebind>

</context>
  </mouse>

<!-- (...) -->

</openbox_config>

Mine was just a little different:

Code:
        <action name="Move"/>
      </mousebind>

I added the line you have that I didn't have:

Code:
        <action name="Raise"/>
        <action name="Move"/>
      </mousebind>

$ openbox --reconfigure

It still doesn't work.

Openbox user here.

Try following: Disable (rename) for testing purposes ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml and run --reconfigure. Global configuration /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml will be loaded, check Alt grab and move.

It should work. Next step, copy renamed file for edit, replace the <mouse> ... </mouse> section in the copied rc.xml with the one from /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml.

I for myself move windows mostly by keyboard. See "MoveRelative" and "MoveToEdge" on http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions

I doubt vermaden remembers, but many years ago, he wrote me a program to tile with openbox. Anyway, mine too does it by default. The way I have it set now, I have undecorated windows, that is, no title bar and like T-Daemon I do all my moving by keyboard. However, if I want to use the mouse, (sometimes useful for finding an x/y position on the monitor), I have another keyboard shortcut that gives a titlebar, and if the window has a title bar, I can move it with the mouse. All mouse settings in my rc.xml are the default ones, I only customize the keys. So, (gah, I am long winded) short answer is, it should work out of the box. (No pun intended).
A little experiment you can do is rename your $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml to something like rc.xml orig and see what you get with defaults. I *think* it will use/usr/loacl/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml, or you could just try moving that file ijnto your $HOME/.config/openbox/ directory. I'm pretty sure it will work out of the box. I'm using dwm on this machine, but just tried it on an AlmaLinux-8.6 with openbox, just renaming my $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml to something else and restarting openbox. Right clicked, chose urxvt terminal and it opened with a border. I was able to move it around by dragging that border.

Openbox user here.

Try following: Disable (rename) for testing purposes ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml and run --reconfigure. Global configuration /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml will be loaded, check Alt grab and move.

It should work. Next step, copy renamed file for edit, replace the <mouse> ... </mouse> section in the copied rc.xml with the one from /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml.

I for myself move windows mostly by keyboard. See "MoveRelative" and "MoveToEdge" on http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions
You are the second person who mentions ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. I don't have it. Never did. I have ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml.

Anyway, I deleted it and ran --reconfigure.

Dragging still didn't work.

So copied /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml to my ~/.config/openbox/ directory and ran --reconfigure.

Dragging still didn't work.

I can move windows with the keyboard, but I never acquired the habit. I always drag.

I doubt vermaden remembers, but many years ago, he wrote me a program to tile with openbox. Anyway, mine too does it by default. The way I have it set now, I have undecorated windows, that is, no title bar and like T-Daemon I do all my moving by keyboard. However, if I want to use the mouse, (sometimes useful for finding an x/y position on the monitor), I have another keyboard shortcut that gives a titlebar, and if the window has a title bar, I can move it with the mouse. All mouse settings in my rc.xml are the default ones, I only customize the keys. So, (gah, I am long winded) short answer is, it should work out of the box. (No pun intended).
A little experiment you can do is rename your $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml to something like rc.xml orig and see what you get with defaults. I *think* it will use/usr/loacl/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml, or you could just try moving that file ijnto your $HOME/.config/openbox/ directory. I'm pretty sure it will work out of the box. I'm using dwm on this machine, but just tried it on an AlmaLinux-8.6 with openbox, just renaming my $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml to something else and restarting openbox. Right clicked, chose urxvt terminal and it opened with a border. I was able to move it around by dragging that border.
Hi mate :)

I have forgotten a lot of things - but I have two tiling scripts at my inventory right now - there is chance that its one of them - here they are:

- tile.sh - sh(1) based - https://github.com/vermaden/scripts/blob/master/tile.sh

- wmtiler.sh - bash(1) based - https://github.com/vermaden/scripts/blob/master/wmtiler.sh

Regards

Hah! Once you gave me the name, I found with /usr/bin/locate. I still have it on both a Linux and FreeBSD workstation. :) Though nowadays I use dwm for tiling I still thank you once again for it.

You are the second person who mentions ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. I don't have it. Never did. I have ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml.
Not familiar with LXDE and Openbox combination. I assumed Openbox uses the same configuration file, but apparently a lxde-rc.xml named file is required.

I've installed x11/lxde-meta, no problem here with dragging windows with left Alt and mouse left click/hold.

The configuration file is ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. lxde-rc.xml is explicitly requested by startlxde. If missing it is created:

/usr/local/bin/startlxde
Rich (BB code):
#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME" ]; then
        export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
fi
# Ensure the existance of openbox config file
OPENBOX_CONF_DIR="$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/openbox"
if [ ! -f "$OPENBOX_CONF_DIR/lxde-rc.xml" ]; then
    mkdir -p "$OPENBOX_CONF_DIR"
    cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml "$OPENBOX_CONF_DIR/lxde-rc.xml"
fi

You said
I imported my entire LXDE configuration from Linux to FreeBSD
It could be that one of the imported files are responsible for the breakage.

I suggest to create a fresh user and check it from there. Then copy one by one the Linux LXDE configuration files to see which file brakes the window drag.

On second thought, are you running the FreeBSD system with the issue on bare metal or in a VirtualBox VM? I am referring to your thread

If FreeBSD is running in a VM, define a key combination for "Mouse Integration" in the VirtualBox Manger.

File -> Preferences -> Input -> Virtual Machine -> Mouse Integration : Host+I

Start the FreeBSD VM, when in Xorg, press Host + I, left click in VM window. A Information window opens to capture the hosts mouse pointer and the keyboard, mouse and keyboard will work only in the VMs window from now on. To uncapture press the host key.

This is somewhat impractical. One must always uncapture the mouse and keyboard to interact with the host and capture for the guest again.

are you running the FreeBSD system with the issue on bare metal or in a VirtualBox VM?
Well this answers the question:
This is a virtual machine installation for me to explore FreeBSD as much as I can and I decide if it's good enough for me to go to the bare metal.
It would have been helpful if you had mention that from the beginning.

In VirtualBox, windows dragging (Alt + mouse left click) doesn't work out of the box, only with workaround from my post # 12. I assume emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions are installed.

Please read what I posted just before your comments on the VM aspect. You haven't read it because it's still withheld by moderation.

LucNix, like Jose, I didn't know that alt+leftclick trick, as I almost never use the mouse, but that's pretty cool, thanks. Especially since I have undecorated windows and can't drag them by ordinary means.

LucNix, like Jose, I didn't know that alt+leftclick trick, as I almost never use the mouse, but that's pretty cool, thanks. Especially since I have undecorated windows and can't drag them by ordinary means.
It's very cool. Too bad it won't work for me on FreeBSD. :(

I just tried it in FreeBSD, and it is working for me. The difference between FreeBSD and my AlmaLinux install is that in AlmaLinux, when I click the left button (with alt pressed) and move the window, the cursor turns into a little sort of hand shaped thing. In FreeBSD it it changes to a 4-way arrow. Again, this is with Windows without decor (if they have decor, I don't need alt, I can use the title bar.)

I just tried it in FreeBSD, and it is working for me. The difference between FreeBSD and my AlmaLinux install is that in AlmaLinux, when I click the left button (with alt pressed) and move the window, the cursor turns into a little sort of hand shaped thing. In FreeBSD it it changes to a 4-way arrow. Again, this is with Windows without decor (if they have decor, I don't need alt, I can use the title bar.)
On my FreeBSD when [ALT]+[Left Mouse Button] cursor also changed into hand.

When rescaling window with [ALT]+[Right Mouse Button] it changes into arrow pointing into the right bottom way.

Regards.

Hah! Once you gave me the name, I found with /usr/bin/locate. I still have it on both a Linux and FreeBSD workstation. :) Though nowadays I use dwm for tiling I still thank you once again for it.
That was fast ... contrary to my reply for your message :)

You mean the 5 year one? I should share the blame for that as I sent it to that address you don't check and I didn't follow it up with, say, a private message on the forums, or another way.

Back