Other Compiz missing window decoration

Hi, does anyone have experience running x11-wm/compiz as a standalone WM? I've been trying to configure it but can't fix the window decoration. The title bars simply don't appear and I can't move windows, but everything apart from that starts up just fine as far as I can tell. I couldn't find any decent documentation, and every thread from the Linux realm suggests just using CCSM, which I installed (x11-wm/libcompizconfig) but I can't even figure out how to launch it, as the pkg installation doesn't add anything to /usr/local/bin/. And I also tried using emerald --replace, which didn't change anything. And just in case, I'm running the WM through startx and my ~/.xinitrc is just
Code:
exec compiz ccp &
exec lxterminal
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

... every thread from the Linux realm suggests just using CCSM, which I installed (x11-wm/libcompizconfig) but I can't even figure out how to launch it
x11-wm/libcompizconfig doesn't provide the CCSM (Compiz Configuration Settings Manager), it provides a library and a compiz plugin (ccp) for the configuration settings manager, not a graphical user interface.

There was a port of x11-wm/ccsm, but it was deleted from the ports tree, because it needs lang/python27 , which is End of Life upstream (and also deleted from the ports tree).

I have on a old system configuration files left, created by x11-wm/ccsm, which you can use as a draft to set the plugins manually. See the [core] section for "core","decoration", "move", eventually "resize". Make sure to have x11-wm/compiz-plugins-main installed.

Some of the plugins in that section are from x11-wm/compiz-plugins-extra and/or x11-wm/compiz-plugins-unsupported, I don't remember.

~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/Default.ini
Code:
[core]
as_active_plugins = core;decoration;move;place;resize;snap;staticswitcher;reflex;cube;rotate;3d;atlantis;

[cube]
s0_color = #949494ff

[place]
s0_mode = 2

[expo]
as_expo_key = <Alt>ISO_Level3_Shift

~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/config
Code:
[general]
profile =
integration = true

I'm running the WM through startx and my ~/.xinitrc is just
Code:
exec compiz ccp &
exec lxterminal
On my sytem, to start compiz and emerald I created a ~/.start-compiz shell script as described in the handbook chapter 5.8. Installing Compiz Fusion. That script was executed from ~/.xinitrc after startx(1).
Code:
#! /bin/sh
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

Xorg composite effects configurations had been set for a nVIDIA card.

Code:
exec compiz ccp & 
exec lxterminal
There's no point in running exec compiz ccp in the background. Execution is passed to compiz and the script ends. It will never execute that second exec lxterminal.

Code:
     exec [command [arg ...]]
             Unless command is omitted, the shell process is replaced with the
             specified program (which must be a real program, not a shell
             built-in command or function).  Any redirections on the exec
             command are marked as permanent, so that they are not undone when
             the exec command finishes.

x11-wm/libcompizconfig doesn't provide the CCSM (Compiz Configuration Settings Manager), it provides a library and a compiz plugin (ccp) for the configuration settings manager, not a graphical user interface.

There was a port of x11-wm/ccsm, but it was deleted from the ports tree, because it needs lang/python27 , which is End of Life upstream (and also deleted from the ports tree).

I have on a old system configuration files left, created by x11-wm/ccsm, which you can use as a draft to set the plugins manually. See the [core] section for "core","decoration", "move", eventually "resize". Make sure to have x11-wm/compiz-plugins-main installed.

Some of the plugins in that section are from x11-wm/compiz-plugins-extra and/or x11-wm/compiz-plugins-unsupported, I don't remember.

~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/Default.ini
Code:
[core]
as_active_plugins = core;decoration;move;place;resize;snap;staticswitcher;reflex;cube;rotate;3d;atlantis;

[cube]
s0_color = #949494ff

[place]
s0_mode = 2

[expo]
as_expo_key = <Alt>ISO_Level3_Shift

~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/config
Code:
[general]
profile =
integration = true

On my sytem, to start compiz and emerald I created a ~/.start-compiz shell script as described in the handbook chapter 5.8. Installing Compiz Fusion. That script was executed from ~/.xinitrc after startx(1).
Code:
#! /bin/sh
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

Xorg composite effects configurations had been set for a nVIDIA card.
Just tested this and it worked great! I might still need to play around with xorg.conf settings a little bit to make sure all the eyecandy works properly, since I'm on amdgpu, but other than that the initial setup is now complete. Can't thank you enough!

There's no point in running exec compiz ccp in the background. Execution is passed to compiz and the script ends. It will never execute that second exec lxterminal.

Code:
     exec [command [arg ...]]
             Unless command is omitted, the shell process is replaced with the
             specified program (which must be a real program, not a shell
             built-in command or function).  Any redirections on the exec
             command are marked as permanent, so that they are not undone when
             the exec command finishes.
Hmmm, the exec lxterminal seems to work just fine, unless I'm not understanding your explanation completely :( Regardless, I do think it's way cleaner to use a dedicated autostart script rather than throwing everything into ~/.xinitrc and I do plan to take care of that soon. Cheers

Back