Trouble with drm-fbsd13-kmod pkg since 13.1-RELEASE

• Thread starter Deleted member 67862
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67862

In the most recent release, I had trouble getting my AMDGPU firmware to work because after installing graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod via pkg and adding it to rc.conf, the init system would freeze on "Loading kernel modules". It's frustrating since I just got a shiny Dell monitor that stopped displaying the bootup sequence (BIOS, bootloader, and init) until my graphics driver is loaded, so to see what's going on and launch into single-user mode I have to plug in my old one.

I got past the "loading kernel modules" part by compiling drm-fbsd13-kmod from ports, but I'm not sure what's different since I was using the latest branch of packages. I currently have drm-fbsd13-kmod locked and everything is well, but it'd be nice to figure out what's going on. I couldn't find any bug reports on this.

The pkg repository are only build with the oldest supported release branch (ie: 12.3 and 13.0 at the moment), so after a minor upgrade there is a 3 month period where some kernel based package will not work when there is an ABI incompatibility between minor release. Which can be the case with drm-kmod. Note that since you are using 13.1-RELEASE, you could use the newer graphics/drm-510-kmod or if it does not work fallback to graphics/drm-54-kmod

My guess would be: no firmware installed. Before the firmware package was split up into individual packages, there was a dependency, so the one package with all firmwares was installed automatically.

You can start by installing gpu-firmware-kmod (which pulls in each and every firmware) and then read here:

When did you last run pkg upgrade?

Also:

sysrc kld_list

grep -v \# /boot/loader.conf | sort
Yesterday, but since I have it locked it won't be upgraded. According to Freshports it hasn't been updated since May 8th.

sysrc kld_list gives amdgpu.

/boot/loader.conf:
Code:
loader_logo="beastie"
security.bsd.allow_destructive_dtrace=0

It is in latest for the three tier 1 platforms: <https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-54-kmod/#packages>.

Thank you for pointing the platforms section out. I was trying to install drm-510-mod which is not available for the FreeBSD:13:amd64 platform.

graphics/drm-54-kmod installs fine, but it freezes the system at boot, at line "Loading kernel modules".

Am I correct in assuming the gpu associated with Intel Tiger Lake CPU is not dealt yet by drm-54-kmod?

Does that mean one needs to wait for RELEASE-13.2 to have drm-510-mod available?

It's alright, I'm just going to keep it locked until we figure it out. I don't even have that graphics/drm-510-kmod in the latest branch.

Im having to revive this issue because on my most recent install it's occuring regardless of which port, whethers its drm-fbsd13-kmod, drm-54-kmod, or drm-510-kmod, that I build. Ive built all of the aforementioned and it freezes on loading kernel modules.

I have an RX 580, so green sardine didnt apply to me. I did all flavors, and it seems to have worked, I assume my hardware is being probed as polaris which sounds right. I get an error about polaris being unable to be loaded. Because of this failure X still doesnt work.

EDIT: Turns out if you do not specify a flavor, no modules are installed. By specifying polaris10 this installed the needed modules and it now works. Thanks a ton!

The pkg repository are only build with the oldest supported release branch (ie: 12.3 and 13.0 at the moment), so after a minor upgrade there is a 3 month period where some kernel based package will not work when there is an ABI incompatibility between minor release. Which can be the case with drm-kmod. Note that since you are using 13.1-RELEASE, you could use the newer graphics/drm-510-kmod or if it does not work fallback to graphics/drm-54-kmod

My guess would be: no firmware installed. Before the firmware package was split up into individual packages, there was a dependency, so the one package with all firmwares was installed automatically.

You can start by installing gpu-firmware-kmod (which pulls in each and every firmware) and then read here:

Thank you, I was finally able to get my AMD RX 580 working at 4K resolution on my Sony TV on FreeBSD 13.1

I installed:

Code:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/ && make install clean

and

Code:
gpu-firmware-kmod

And people still continue to blow up on this mine, many years after... And there is no end in sight of this. I think drm-kmod needs to be separated from the packages or ports completely into some special "smart" repository that can take care of all these nuances. Obviously, pkg and ports are the wrong tools to handle this subsystem.

blackhaz Not really. If you just install drm-kmod, you get gpu-firmware-kmod as a dependency, so everything is in place. There was a bug where this dependency was missing, but it was fixed.

With the split of firmware into individual packages, you now have the option to manually install only what's really necessary for your hardware.

I originally installed:
Code:
pkg install drm-kmod
As mentioned in:

However this did not do anything for me and had to uninstall the driver which it installed.
(Maybe because I never installed the firmware?)

I then followed the guide from post #2 and #3 of this thread, which solved the issue.
I am using FreeBSD 13.1, seems like there are no RX580 drivers for it officially from pkg and had to install it via ports tree.

First_Law_of_Unix as I said above, pkg install drm-kmod is supposed to just install "everything" (through dependencies). You will have lots of firmwares installed you'll never need, but it will "just work".

This was previously broken because of errors in dependencies. First the dependency on firmware was missing completely, which was fixed in commit 934122ae6e, then the version was wrong, which was fixed in commit 9bb6e171870.

But in a nutshell, this was a bug that was fixed, and this command will continue to work (again). You only need to install a specific drm-*-kmod package and specific firmware packages manually if you want to only install what's required for your hardware.

zirias So are you saying that everything are fixed as of now? Because I tried:
Code:
pkg install drm-kmod
on Sunday and did not work for me on FreeBSD 13.1 fresh install.

From the commit links you have provided shows it was fixed on May 2022 for both links. I'm not experienced but do not mind to install all drivers so long my driver is included, I don't expect AMD GPU drivers to consume more than 1GB of space.

did not work for me
This is like my "favorite" error description....

You wrote earlier you followed advice in a post on this thread that hints about a newer version of the drivers. Maybe you own a GPU that needs these newer versions. Then, that's completely unrelated to the (meanwhile fixed) problem of missing firmware after just installing the default meta package.

Back