TIL

TIL that Styrofoam sometimes means something entirely different …

… Styrofoam as used in packaging. … Ohama Steaks …

From Wikipedia:

Styrofoam is colloquially used worldwide to refer to another material that is usually white in color and made of expanded (not extruded) polystyrene foam (EPS). …

I've heard the word in the UK, but never used in that way. AFAIK most people here use the single word polystyrene (or very loosely plastic) to describe the expanded form that is (decreasingly) used to contain food. "Polystyrene ceiling tiles", popular in the 1960s/1970s, and so on.

… our insults are, perhaps less imaginative, but much coarser.

Oh, we do coarse :) but I don't do it here.

>Why you should never post your picture on the Internet.
Computers make it WAY too easy to edit the picture into something that twists the original narrative into something that was not intended in the first place. And sometimes, the victim's narrative is twisted not by the artist, but by the audience. Every once in a while, an unsettling story like that makes the local news.

This is why the Internet is flooded with pictures of cats, roadside grass, and fractals. 😩

TIL that this icon is supposed to mean end a call:

1647426173621.png

I see an old-fashioned telephone handset, off-the-hook (call in progress) with a plus sign aligned neatly with the handset.

What do other people see?

Or it means "Your Phone Is Dead!!". But "Add person to call" is more like it.

When all we old geezers who have seen cable connected phones are gone one day, I wonder what people will make of these icons...

… "add people to this call".

Exactly. If I want to leave, why would I even begin to move the pointer (away from the area on screen where I accidentally clicked to join), towards an icon that implies bringing more people in?

Here's the original context. Tilted 45°, but my immediate perception, from the plus sign aligned to the handset, was "add people to this call":

1647429762630.png

Sure, people will laugh :) but I'm not accustomed to the close box being to the right in FreeBSD, especially when the close icon is overlapping with another icon …

Iron sights?

TIL:
1647430108759.png

'ending a call' is usually a completely red icon... but yeah, based on the screenie, that was confusing even to me. Different people seem to have different ideas/views of perceptions a customer population is gonna have. (As in, assumptions are gonna be made) 😩

'ending a call' is usually a completely red icon...
There are color blind people. You know the scene from HGTTG where they push black sensor areas on a black control pane and black dials light up to show what they did? And then that ship flies into the sun. I wonder why?

A symbolic icon of
I actually tried Jagermeister back when I was in college. It was too heavy on licorice and anise, in my opinion - those two are actually my least favorite spices. BUT... today I learned that they are in fact on the ingredient list of Jagermeister. The drink has its fans, I know. Once was enough for me. It was not 'memorably awful', I was able to finish my shot, but then I decided, once was nice for a learning experience, but not something I'd seek out again. 😑

Today I learned that La Destilleria in Cancun, Mexico, where I've been just once, in 2004, is now permanently closed. Sitting at home at time of this post, I was about to share how I was sitting there, listening to the waiter rattle off 50 different ways to prepare a Margarita, and actually running out of breath. 😲I ended up asking for a classic Margarita (with lime slush, lime wedges, and a rimming of salt) - and got a glass that while it was correctly shaped, it was so big that it would put a beer stein to shame.

TIL

echo $0

No. I'm confused, …

… Afterthought: I'm thinking of setenv(1), not env(1).

Below, for example, I failed to understand how setenv PAGER cat succeeded where echo $SHELL showed /bin/sh

Code:
% whoami
grahamperrin
% su -
Password:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # setenv PAGER cat
-su: setenv: not found
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # exit
% su - -c /bin/csh
Password:
su: only root may use -c
% su -l -c /bin/csh
Password:
su: only root may use -c
% su -l root -c /bin/csh
Password:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # setenv PAGER cat
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # echo $PAGER
cat
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ #

At <https://askubuntu.com/a/850832/25036> I learnt:

$SHELL gives you the default shell. $0 gives you the current shell. …

Now I understand why setenv PAGER cat succeeded:

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # echo $0
/bin/csh
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # exit
exit
%

sh(1)

csh(1)

TIL​
… Pools created by FreeBSD will always have the whole_disk field set to true, …

Workload Tuning — OpenZFS documentation

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # zdb --label gpt/Transcend | grep whole_disk
        whole_disk: 1
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # lsblk da2
DEVICE         MAJ:MIN SIZE TYPE                                          LABEL MOUNT
da2              2:181 466G GPT                                               - -
  <FREE>         -:-   1.0M -                                                 - -
  da2p1          2:176 466G freebsd-zfs                           gpt/Transcend <ZFS>
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ #

Today I learned … that there's a GitHub Advisory Database.

I discovered the database through the GitHub view of a commit to the FreeBSD ports tree:

The same commit in cgit: <https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/?id=2ff06ffe8797c36db433ae5a2ab53a8410086a53>

TIL... about yak shaving: 😂

A lot of Linux distro projects are like that. Basically, to accomplish Z, there's Y that needs to be done, oh, and X is a prerequisite/dependency, etc, etc. Kind of like my Poudriere-based project to compile KDE with my custom options and have it be upgradeable while leaving everything else alone... pkg, git, jails, Apache, SSL, circular deps... who knows what else...

Yaks are apparently frustrating to shave...

Back