Slow package fetching

Hello, I've trying to install some packages with pkg install, but the process is too slow today. How can I change the source? I've installed fastest_pkg from ports. But this util did not respond after start? Or Should I wait for it to finish?

This happens from time to time. You can copy /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf and edit the source server. But usually it i not worth to do so because the speed recovers after some time. I am not sure about fastest_pkg. I have not tried that up to now.

This happens from time to time. You can copy /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf and edit the source server. But usually it i not worth to do so because the speed recovers after some time. I am not sure about fastest_pkg. I have not tried that up to now.
it's like 80kb/s. Is this problem no only with my computer? Can't load packets with comfort =(

Normally I have 1.5Mb/s, for large packages as libreoffice it usually goes down to 300...600kb/s. Something as 80kb/s is quite seldom or only for a very short time within one pkg upgrade session. Yes, that is very uncomfortable.

You can always blame the Lone Star State for slowing down your Internet. Did you know that Texas is home to quite a few datacenters that host VPN proxies for companies around the world? That's who is eating your bandwidth, along with Zoom. :p
1638890303289.png

You can always blame the Lone Star State for slowing down your Internet. Did you know that Texas is home to quite a few datacenters that host VPN proxies for companies around the world? That's who is eating your bandwidth, along with Zoom. :p
View attachment 12232
If this is true than I can't get the concept of ftp mirrors at all. Why the speed was low and all mirrors that I've tried? Even Eu and Jp one? I though that mirror is like the "exact copy" of data that is stored on orig server, so why there is "speed" problems on each of them?

Normally I have 1.5Mb/s, for large packages as libreoffice it usually goes down to 300...600kb/s. Something as 80kb/s is quite seldom or only for a very short time within one pkg upgrade session. Yes, that is very uncomfortable.
So, each user of pkg has this speed issues? I really can't fetch anything. Can't remember experience it with previous installation.

So, each user of pkg has this speed issues? I really can't fetch anything. Can't remember experience it with previous installation.
Not really. May be the geo location something or how it is called makes a very unlucky choice for you. Please check the suggestion of diizzy. This should give helpful information.

It is the same mirror for me and I live in Germany. By chance I have just installed libreoffice and downloaded a few hundred Megabytes within some minutes. I did not monitored the time. The download speed was 1.5MB/s. The bottleneck might be my wlan. In the past I have been connected to pkg0.nyi.freebsd.org in the US. It has been working well most of the time. Since a few month the European mirror has been established with no issues from my perspective.

Code:
curl http://pkg0.pkt.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/All/libreoffice-7.2.3.2_1.pkg -o moo.test
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 125M 100 125M 0 0 5187k 0 0:00:24 0:00:24 --:--:-- 7977k

Looks like a peering / connectivity issue on your side (Sweden)

In /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf there is a line
Code:
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
You could try:
Code:
pkg0.pkt.FreeBSD.org
[*]pkg0.bbt.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.bme.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.bra.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.isc.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.jinx.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.kul.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.kwc.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.nyi.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.tuk.freebsd.org
[*]pkg0.twn.freebsd.org
And have a look at the ping times.

Why the speed was low and all mirrors that I've tried? Even Eu and Jp one? I though that mirror is like the "exact copy" of data that is stored on orig server, so why there is "speed" problems on each of them?

So, each user of pkg has this speed issues? I really can't fetch anything.
Maybe the problem isn't the mirrors but your local upstream connection to your ISP. Or issues on the lines that connect your ISP to the rest of the internet. Remember, there's no such thing as "the internet", it's not a monolithic thing. The internet consists of thousands of interconnected, separate, networks, all managed by local engineers. Any one of those connections in the path between you and the destination could be having an issue.

84.56 93.68 ~ 4500
You got better numbers than I get, and I'm on West Coast of US... and not really having issues with mirrors. It's definitely something between you and the mirrors. Oh, and domestic traffic is gonna be prioritized over international traffic.

I got caught up with this issue. Very slow mirror speed. The 80kb/s the OP had would be lightning fast for me.
For me it is 24.8kb/s. It's painful slow. First I did not take attention to it as I do not mind if the new firefox update takes
2 hours or so. But a while ago I set a a new desktop system up and it became a major issue. Downloading X11 KDE and a few
more packages would be a matter of days and not minutes. Only a simple pkg upgrade took 5 min to get a result.
As I had no time (and knowledge about it) I thought as a quick fix change Geo location. I figured out quick that it works and
was hopping around the globe to see where I can get the best speed. US east and west are good but found a better one in the
Pacific region. Mirror speed now on a sunny day is up to 5MB/s. On a rainy one still 3.5MB/s.
Changing Geo location was a quick fix. As soon as I have time I will dig a bit deeper into this one.

I got caught up with this issue. Very slow mirror speed. The 80kb/s the OP had would be lightning fast for me.
For me it is 24.8kb/s. It's painful slow. First I did not take attention to it as I do not mind if the new firefox update takes
2 hours or so. But a while ago I set a a new desktop system up and it became a major issue. Downloading X11 KDE and a few
more packages would be a matter of days and not minutes. Only a simple pkg upgrade took 5 min to get a result.
As I had no time (and knowledge about it) I thought as a quick fix change Geo location. I figured out quick that it works and
was hopping around the globe to see where I can get the best speed. US east and west are good but found a better one in the
Pacific region. Mirror speed now on a sunny day is up to 5MB/s. On a rainy one still 3.5MB/s.
Changing Geo location was a quick fix. As soon as I have time I will dig a bit deeper into this one.
Pacific is which one one in terms of urls? Please, give me the contents of your /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf or thous which you edited with line like this
url: "pkg+http://pkg0.pkt.freebsd.org/${ABI}/quarterly",

Thank you

Code:
curl http://pkg0.pkt.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/All/libreoffice-7.2.3.2_1.pkg -o moo.test
100 125M 100 125M 0 0 5187k 0 0:00:24 0:00:24 --:--:-- 7977k

Looks like a peering / connectivity issue on your side (Sweden)
How can I get know where my speed was eaten? Who should I call to? For me it's like 425k max, maybe the problem is actually with this KDE desktop somewhere?

net/mtr (or net/mtr-nox11) is useful for this.

Your ISP.

Your desktop environment has nothing to do with this.
Tested in this way -
Code:
root@ihorr:/home/ihor # curl [URL]http://pkg0.pkt.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/All/libreoffice-7.2.3.2_1.pkg[/URL] -o moo.test 
7 125M 7 9.9M 0 0 370k 0 0:05:45 0:00:27 0:05:18 281k^C
And from the linux machine in same local net- was around 3000k !!!

The problem is in my local computer. Where should I look?

Did you enable a firewall perhaps? And see if there's a difference if you force IPv4.

Did you enable a firewall perhaps? And see if there's a difference if you force IPv4.
here is the speedtest-cli
Code:
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 91.15 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 94.73 Mbit/s

Code:
root@ihorr:~ # service pf onestatus
pf.ko is not loaded

How can I get know where my speed was eaten? Who should I call to? For me it's like 425k max, maybe the problem is actually with this KDE desktop somewhere?
My speeds at home a 429k download max... Never really thought of that as a problem for me. If I get that, I get the impression that the pathway between mirror and me is unclogged and functional. (But even with that, I'm looking to upgrade, but in no hurry).

Back