Best High End FreeBSD Laptop?

In general I'd say that uses Intel hardware but you might want to look out for drivers if you're going for bleeding edge hardware, Asus(pro), Lavie (NEC/Lenovo), Toshiba (business lineup), Fujitsu (7 or 9 series in their business lineup) are all excellent candidates and I'd rate many of these nicer than Lenovo's X1/Carbon series.
Never gave a rat's ass about a computer being for a 'business' 'creative' or 'student' audience. Just check the specs and numbers :p

Never gave a rat's ass about a computer being for a 'business' 'creative' or 'student' audience. Just check the specs and numbers :p
Hardware design and overall build quailty is a lot better than consumer models which is why you'd care ;-)
Specs are quite useless if the computer barely works as intended anyway....

Hardware design and overall build quailty is a lot better than consumer models which is why you'd care ;-)
Specs are quite useless if the computer barely works as intended anyway....
That used to be the case for cheaper Windows laptops back before 2010. But even back then, there were some minimum specs to look for: an i5 or better. "Intended Audience" is just a marketing gimmick to sell crappy hardware. But install Linux or BSD on that cheap and crappy hardware - and not only you squeeze more juice out of the hardware, it's also easier to understand why "Intended Audience" is nothing more than marketing nonsense.

Okay, you don't understand and/or care about the difference. That's up to you, I'm sure people more than I do however.

this is rather old but still funny :) just the specific post, not a PC vs MAC pissing contest

I would shell out more for better specs... Like gaming-grade hardware, even though I'm not a gamer. Gaming-grade hardware is often the same specs sought out by people who self-identify as creative professionals, rather than gamers. But, the same specs are also sought after by programmers. Better specs are usually housed in cases that have better build quality, but for those who know what they're after, the cases are just icing on the cake, not the cake.

I would shell out more for better specs... Like gaming-grade hardware, even though I'm not a gamer. Gaming-grade hardware is often the same specs sought out by people who self-identify as creative professionals, rather than gamers. But, the same specs are also sought after by programmers. Better specs are usually housed in cases that have better build quality, but for those who know what they're after, the cases are just icing on the cake, not the cake.
Most of my "gaming grade hardware" use cases are Blender and OpenSCAD - so I definitely need a decent graphics card - I'd also like to be able to virtualize Windows for sake of some Steam games. I'm considering doing vSphere for the base and FreeBSD, Windows, Linux on top of that so they can run in parallel, but I've heard you can bans for a lot of Steam games running them in Windows on a vSphere install so that would kind of defeat the purpose there. I really want to avoid Windows for the root OS on the machine, but also need to get the video card more or less as a 1:1 translation into any virtualized layers.

When you are looking to buy a new high end laptop computer it usually came with the latest technology, so if you are missing some drivers for your Wifi 6 adapter and you need working Wifi then you can buy USB WIFI dongle instead of wasting your time to try to configure your Wifi 6 adapter. I hope you can understand me now.

Edit:
Check the HP Zbook Fury or Lenovo P71 series.

but I've heard you can bans for a lot of Steam games running them in Windows on a vSphere install so that would kind of defeat the purpose there
I think the bans would apply to having a truckload of connections from a single IP address... read their rules carefully.
but also need to get the video card more or less as a 1:1 translation into any virtualized layers.
Laptops, even gaming-grade stuff, are not the best for virtualizing. Also, for a VM, you'd have to allow it to have access to a portion of your hardware resources. This directly leads to the question of whether it makes more sense to buy two machines with n-level specs or one machine with 2n-level specs, because in either case, you'll blow about the same amount of money.

I found the wiki [ freebsd, laptop pages] has info on memory size [ I'd prefer 16G not 8G ] to be scant for most of the most recent year(s) entries which are also scant... maybe someone with such a laptop could start a " your laptop specs with at least 16G memory"... poll thread.

FreeBSD on laptops has historically been a bit of a challenge... Based on info I glean from the Internet (Mostly comments on these forums), I'd think the situation is improving, but I'm still looking for a chance on my end of things to get my own hands dirty with this. 😅

I think the bans would apply to having a truckload of connections from a single IP address... read their rules carefully.

Laptops, even gaming-grade stuff, are not the best for virtualizing. Also, for a VM, you'd have to allow it to have access to a portion of your hardware resources. This directly leads to the question of whether it makes more sense to buy two machines with n-level specs or one machine with 2n-level specs, because in either case, you'll blow about the same amount of money.
If you were actually virtualizing multiple boxes at once sure, but my use case is more switching between OS's without wanting to reboot and select at bios with that 2-3 minute hit to productivity each time.

Whatever you veer towards, be sure to check that FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE will boot.

Sorry, it's not obvious to me.
Intel pioneered backdoored chips, so it stands to reason that even if AMD has backdoors in theirs, Intel's are the most advanced and hard to subvert backdoors.

If you were actually virtualizing multiple boxes at once sure, but my use case is more switching between OS's without wanting to reboot and select at bios with that 2-3 minute hit to productivity each time.
If you want to switch between OS'es without rebooting, then virtualization is the way to go. But, laptops come at best with 17-inch screens. For productive use of a VM, you do need more screen real estate than that. One way around that is to invest in a couple 32-inch monitors that you can connect to your laptop as external displays. It's not impossible to get external displays going under FreeBSD, but getting them to behave predictably is usually a pain.

… external displays … getting them to behave predictably is usually a pain.

I should describe behaviours as nearly always predictable – and not difficult to achieve – with this combination:
(Those HP products are not high end now, but they were well-specified when new.)

Until a few weeks ago, the dock at work had just one display, an HP with the same resolution as the Philips, to its right. If I had previously (same day) used the 8570p at home, then (when waking from sleep) software would fail to detect the change of display – it would appear as if the Philips was still to the left :

1637111388419.png

– so I'd have to manually correct display preferences. More of a paper cut than a major bug.

The 8570p probed on 2021-11-13 <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=ea51e03be6> showed graphics/drm-current-kmod 5.4.144.g20211012 (i.e. 5.4) from the FreeBSD repository however the DRM might have been superior (master). Re: <https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/commits/master> I can't tell whether it would have been 5.5, 5.6 or 5.7.

Today <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=822a2481bb> it's certainly graphics/drm-current-kmod 5.4.144.g20211012 from unknown-repository (and I know that it was built and installed from source at the time of updating the OS).

graphics/drm-devel-kmod is usually noticeably better than drm-current-kmod with this Radeon HD.

So… is there a model known to work, that is available to purchase new from an official vendor?

I want to give my boss a link, where he can buy one for each member of the team. Is there such a thing?

I had FreeBSD running on every single Lenovo ThinkPad I got over the (many years). This included a rather powerful mobile workstation laptop (12-core xeon, 32-GB ECC memory and a dedicated Nvidia Quadro with it's own dedicated 16-GB of memory). I would consider that "high-end" and "known-to-work". However, nobody is going to guarantee hardware support/functionality. Not FreeBSD, not this community and definitely not vendors :p

Time for my X1 Carbon project I guess. I want to buy one each of each generation of Thinkpad X1 Carbon and post FreeBSD results. My biggest concern is the webcam, or maybe they solder in the wifi chip in some models. Hard to find out without ebaying them.

Well, I’ll gamble on a ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 - one of the few models not in BSD hardware database.

I don’t expect anyone to guarantee support - but for all of the talk about laptops, people rarely ever discuss actual models. I don’t know if you’ve been to lenovo.com lately, but they have several hundred different “thinkpad” configurations.

I did my homework as best I could - Nvidia has a current driver for the Quadra T1000, and iwlwifi claims support for the AX201 wi-if card.

Well, I’ll gamble on a ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 - one of the few models not in BSD hardware database.

I don’t expect anyone to guarantee support - but for all of the talk about laptops, people rarely ever discuss actual models. I don’t know if you’ve been to lenovo.com lately, but they have several hundred different “thinkpad” configurations.

I did my homework as best I could - Nvidia has a current driver for the Quadra T1000, and iwlwifi claims support for the AX201 wi-if card.

Well, if you are willing to go older, I have a X1 Carbon gen 4 running which supports all the goodies. Disclaimer: I received it without a wifi chip and put a AC 9260 myself. It has a NVMe slot for it.

Time for my X1 Carbon project I guess.
I suppose I did a "60" project a while back.

T60, R60, Z60, X60

I still use them often. They all work great but they are quite old now so people probably just assume they work anyway.

I had an X1 Carbon Gen 2. That daft "touch bar" was pretty annoying. The rest of it worked well though.

I bought a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9th Gen new from Lenovo last week (MTM 20XW-00QGUS; S/N PF44NVX8).

FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE installed with no problems. X works; wireless networking works. I haven't tried its camera yet.

2023Feb13 updates:
  • Audio doesn't work; even at 100% it's nearly inaudible.
  • The system bell doesn't ring; instead, a "click" sound is heard.

Last edited:
I want to give my boss a link, where he can buy one for each member of the team. Is there such a thing?
YMMV, but I wouldn't gamble on that. Even if you do your homework and find a brand-new model from a big-name vendor, and the spec sheet supposedly indicates that a recent -RELEASE version of FreeBSD should be supported - it can take a while to set the hardware up to be productive. And, you're more likely than not to stumble into details that may prove to be deal-breakers. For example, N-Key keyboard is a standard feature on newest Asus laptops - but doesn't work under FreeBSD.

And wi-fi is another big one. I have a 5-year-old laptop from Lenovo (Ideapad 720s-13ARR) that I recently converted to FreeBSD. The conversion was only even viable after I bought an aftermarket Intel 8265 wifi card. That card replaced an unusable RealTek 8821 card that was there originally. Original card worked under Win10, but not under FreeBSD. And even then, I still haven't figured out how to use the built-in webcam, and I'm looking into jacking up the RAM from original 8 to 32 GB - turns out I can only stuff in one stick of RAM...

Consider the amount of time one can be expected to spend on just the setup of the laptop before being productive. You might have a Zoom meeting with your team next week, but the version in FreeBSD's ports is too outdated to be usable in real-world scenarios. You gonna miss the meeting over that?

Back