Best High End FreeBSD Laptop?

So I get this is a really open-ended question, but what's the best high-end laptop for FreeBSD? AMD preferred for obvious reasons.

As i know the FreeBSD is not supported on any laptop manufacture because of very limited audience , so some hardware parts like webcam, fingerprint, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, media keys etc. will not function as they will lack of drivers.
Other functionality like suspend/resume/quick boot also will not work. Until the computer manufacture start provide support and drivers for they hardware for FreeBSD there's no point of wasting time to configure the FreeBSD on laptop as simple task as configure a Wi-Fi or connecting a phone via Bluetooth or BT headphones will take so much time of configuration instead of using a supported OS for those Laptops where this is done by simple mouse click.

As i know the FreeBSD is not supported on any laptop manufacture because of very limited audience , so some hardware parts like webcam, fingerprint, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, media keys etc. will not function as they will lack of drivers.
Other functionality like suspend/resume/quick boot also will not work. Until the computer manufacture start provide support and drivers for they hardware for FreeBSD there's no point of wasting time to configure the FreeBSD on laptop as simple task as configure a Wi-Fi or connecting a phone via Bluetooth or BT headphones will take so much time of configuration instead of using a supported OS for those Laptops where this is done by simple mouse click.
Well, honestly, I hate most of the "features" you said which won't work so not a show stopper for me. My concerns are more in the realm of "best CPU+video+memory available and functioning with it" and "a full keyboard suitable for programming."

I made very good experiences with running FreeBSD on Lenovo Thinkpad X1 carbon. In fact, I just ordered a Gen 9 the last week to upgrade from an older model.

Other than that I also have a weird ThinkPad P2000 workstation (Xeon, Quadro, ECC memory). The system certainly runs well but things such as multimedia keys are not getting mapped by default.

For me, working wifi, Bluetooth, SSD, and a web cam are the basics when looking for a laptop. For that reason, stuff like Asus ROG Strix AMD Advantage laptop is out - it has no webcam. Nothing prevents me from plugging in a cheap USB webcam, but I'd rather have a built-in one. 😩

FreeBSD:
"SuYin Lenovo EasyCamera" cameras generally work.

FreeBSD and OpenBSD:
USB Webcams with compatible drivers for FreeBSD uvc(4) and OpenBSD uvideo(4) generally work.

Even the greatest spy on earth puts tape over his webcam:
I saw that photo. I think Zack the Jerk was trolling the public. Probably!
Anyway, it is not paranoid, but if you are concern, you should cover the internal mics too. Not too effective by the way.

Anyway, it is not paranoid, but if you are concern, you should cover the internal mics too. Not too effective by the way.
There was a news item when a screaming baby ordered something from Amazon via Alexa 🤣 or CIA can listen to a few farts every now and then.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
There was a news item when a screaming baby ordered something from Amazon via Alexa 🤣 or CIA can listen to a few farts every now and then.
Thanks to the kid, now the eavesdropper in question has enough material well in hand, to get a job at CNN, as a "random(4)-sound(4) Security Analyst" pundit.

may not work. Not will not work. On my laptop, webcam, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi all work. I haven't tried media keys, but there are reports of them able to be configued. Also, there are laptops where suspend/resume do work. And for some, the time spent configuring these things is counted as a learning opportunity, and not wasted time.

Please share your findings. I may need an X1 replacement, currently on 1st Gen X1 Yoga, but it's starting to show its age.
I'll be sure to report back. However, with the current situation (or situations by now) I don't expect the new X1 to show up before 8 weeks from now.

I bookmarked your post so I'll find you again ;)
If you don't hear from me - feel free to reach out & complain.

may not work. Not will not work. On my laptop, webcam, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi all work. I haven't tried media keys, but there are reports of them able to be configued. Also, there are laptops where suspend/resume do work. And for some, the time spent configuring these things is counted as a learning opportunity, and not wasted time.
The new laptops that came with Wifi 6 and BT 5.2?

In general I'd say that uses Intel hardware but you might want to look out for drivers if you're going for bleeding edge hardware, Asus(pro), Lavie (NEC/Lenovo), Toshiba (business lineup), Fujitsu (7 or 9 series in their business lineup) are all excellent candidates and I'd rate many of these nicer than Lenovo's X1/Carbon series.

Back