installation issue gnome desktop

To install gnome desktop I followed this (https://leonardcucos.com/how-to-install-freebsd-13-with-gnome-desktop/) but at the point after inserting nano /etc/rc.conf and inserting manually as below I did do not know how to save it and in the guide it is not explained well please all help is greatly appreciated.

Code:
gnome_enable=”YES”
moused_enable=”YES”
dbus_enable=”YES”
hald_enable=”YES”
gdm_enable=”YES”

Easier way to enable those settings, using sysrc(8):
# sysrc gnome_enable="YES"
# sysrc dbus_enable="YES"

No need for an editor, just execute it on the command line. If you still want to use an editor, ee(1) is probably a little easier to use.

NB, there's no need for moused_enable, it's for PS/2 mice only. USB mice automatically load moused(8), you don't need to enable it.

so after inserting manually
gnome_enable=”YES”
moused_enable=”YES”
dbus_enable=”YES”
hald_enable=”YES”
gdm_enable=”YES”

I did not know how to save and go on it is very complicated in freebsd to install compared to linux, but when on the page nano /etc/rc.conf you have all does tabs at the bottom so where to I do to insert " sysrc gnome_enable="YES"'

Install-FreeBSD-With-Gnome-rc-config-1-1024x567 (1).png

Attachments

• Install-FreeBSD-With-Gnome-rc-config-1-1024x567 (1).png
    Install-FreeBSD-With-Gnome-rc-config-1-1024x567 (1).png
    125.1 KB · Views: 171
As for the editor ^X means CTRL-X. The ^ is commonly used to indicate the control key.

As for the editor ^X means CTRL-X. The ^ is commonly used to indicate the control key.
I tried CTRL-X. and it gave three options do you want to save yes, no, cancel but when on the bottom of the page I hit yes to save nothing happens

#sysrc gnome_enable="YES"
#sysrc dbus_enable="YES"

moused_enable=”YES”
hald_enable=”YES”
gdm_enable=”YES”

I finaly what understading what your are saying instead of the editor just in the terminal as command line #sysrc gnome_enable="YES" and after #sysrc dbus_enable="YES" what about the other three ?

I finaly what understading what your are saying instead of the editor just in the terminal as command line #sysrc gnome_enable="YES" and after #sysrc dbus_enable="YES"
Yes, exactly. The sysrc(8) command is an easy to use tool to manipulate rc.conf.
what about the other three ?
You only need moused_enable if you have an old PS/2 mouse, I assume you have a USB mouse. hald_enable isn't really needed and gdm_enable is already done, gnome_enable includes it.

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0 to install is there also another easy way to install via command line same problem here, I do not know how to save.

yes I have a USB MOUSE so no need of moused_enable=”YES”

Attachments

• Install-FreeBSD-With-Gnome-proc-config.png
    Install-FreeBSD-With-Gnome-proc-config.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 119
NB, there's no need for moused_enable, it's for PS/2 mice only. USB mice automatically load moused(8), you don't need to enable it.
It's usb mouse as well. The installer needs to be updated. If he wants mouse control in the console, ie ncurses, then he can enable it. I doubt he needs iit though.

Back