vbox Update to virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.18 killed Xorg

The first, second and third screenshots under <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507672> were VMSVGA without x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware.

On my system with VMSVGA set and vmware driver absent Xorg is failing (I have x11/xorg-minimal installed), it terminates with "Fatal server error ... no screens found" using the vesa driver.

Do you have specified a driver and options in a xorg configuration file? If not could you look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and check which driver is loaded?

VBoxClient command in ~/.xinitrc works for my setup. It might depend which WM/DE is used. If the case is a race condition a sleep command can be added before the VBoxClient command is executed or better it can be set in the WM's/DE's autostart file.

I observed the mentioned GUI freeze if VBoxClient is executed when the vmware driver is running xorg. They don't work nice together.

… xf86-video-vmware …

… VBoxSVGA …

… VBoxSVGA (VBoxVGA is also fine) …

Excellent!

x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware from quarterly and from latest were good with VBoxSVGA (ignoring the yellow alert in VirtualBox) with FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE guests with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18 on two 6.1.18 hosts:
  • Windows 10 20H2
  • FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT.
I did not test VBoxVGA or FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6.

I'll not add the workaround to the Quick start for KDE for two reasons:
  1. avoid misunderstanding of requirements
  2. off-topic, numerous unexpected restarts (possible kernel panics) during startup with the test system that was based on the FreeBSD-provided virtual disk.
With the workaround, the initial resolution for sddm is too low, but this is not a show-stopper:

2021-04-21 19:31:01.png

Success (a Firefox-on-FreeBSD window to an RDP view of the Windows host):

2021-04-21 19:49:08.png

I took a VM without xorg. Initially, it was a 12.1-RELEASE installation. Upgraded to 12.2 and, at last, to 13.0-RELEASE. Installed then, xorg, lxde and virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18.

At my first tries, xorg was running well but not lxde (same symptom: black screen). Changed virtualbox-ose-additions to legacy and lxde ran without problem.

After several exchanges and tries between virtualbox-ose-additions and its legacy counterpart, suddenly lxde came to working with the last virtualbox-ose-additions. But, I don't know why.

My working VM is still unable to function without legacy virtualbox-ose-additions; no matter what I try.

So, definetively, virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18 is bugged.

PS: all was under VboxVGA.

<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507706> above (working) was emphatically without xf86-video-vmware.

VBoxVGA. … (xf86-video-vmware installed of course).

<https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=498570#p498570> above the screenshot of LXDE on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE running in VirtualBox with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions:
  • emphatically VBoxSVGA
– and in the screenshot of LXDE, one line below what's highlighted:

pkg: No package(s) matching vmware

So, please:
  1. in the guest
  2. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
  3. shut down
  4. set the guest to use VBoxSVGA
  5. start the guest.
VBoxSVGA, not to be confused with VBoxVGA.

Versions

emulators/virtualbox-ose 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

In the meantime, please do try with what's available; follow the five steps above.

Thanks

I already tried VBoxSVGA with the 6.1.18 version, and that makes no difference. At the same time, as I wrote above, another VM (with Lxde) eventually worked with VBoxVGA after several tries. So, I perfectly know that this may work, but I have no clue why or why not.

I will try again VBoxSVGA but I ain't very confident.

1. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
That's irrelevant if the graphic adapter selected isn't VMSVGA (which is the case of the VM that doesn't work with virtualbox-ose-additions-6).

<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507706> above (working) was emphatically without xf86-video-vmware.

<https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=498570#p498570> above the screenshot of LXDE on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE running in VirtualBox with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions:
  • emphatically VBoxSVGA
– and in the screenshot of LXDE, one line below what's highlighted:

So, please:
  1. in the guest
  2. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
  3. shut down
  4. set the guest to use VBoxSVGA
  5. start the guest.
VBoxSVGA, not to be confused with VBoxVGA.

Versions

emulators/virtualbox-ose 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

In the meantime, please do try with what's available; follow the five steps above.

Thanks
So, I tried VBoxSVGA as graphic adapter with virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.20 and guess what?

You still haven't understood that I - I mean myself - managed to run a fresh VM with FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE and virtualbox-ose-additions-6 AND Lxde. So it's irrelevant to post this picture, I can do the same.

My problem is related to my working VM, initially a 12.0-RELEASE but upgraded up to 13.0-RELEASE, that can't cope with the 6rd version of virtualbox-ose-additions

Actually, it was installed this way, with desktop-installer.

I don't really understand the others questions... The problem with the additions arose with 12.2-RELEASE at the very time I upgraded additions from version 5 to 6. I tested again the additions-6 after upgrade to 13.0-RELEASE but with the same result.

I use only pkg with the latest repo and all the packages are upgraded at least once a week.

Actually, it was installed this way, with desktop-installer.

I don't really understand the others questions... The problem with the additions arose with 12.2-RELEASE at the very time I upgraded additions from version 5 to 6. I tested again the additions-6 after upgrade to 13.0-RELEASE but with the same result.

I use only pkg with the latest repo and all the packages are upgraded at least once a week.
assumptions in this thread I noticed that are not true:

1) virtualbox host version and virtualbox additions must match - not true - my host was running VB 6.x and client (FBSD was running 5.x (FBSD-11.4)

2) you need to delete xf86-video-vmware for VBoxSVGA to work - I have vmware driver installed and VBoxSVGA works. If I remember this correctly (I did try vmware driver when it first became available in VB) vmware never worked with FreeBSD VM client

Actually virtualbox additions driver is not needed at all to run full screen VM client (this is how I run OpenBSD in VM (see picture).

I updated FreeBSD 12.2 to 13.0 without any issues.

Personally I think that your problem may be related to VM host or host hardware (video AMD)

Also you could try uninstall VirtualBox client additions from FreeBSD and make sure that after uninstallation all leftover are deleted. Then reboot and install again virtualbox additions

Attachments

• OpenBSD 6.9-in-VMv2.png
    OpenBSD 6.9-in-VMv2.png
    513.5 KB · Views: 109
With LXDE, SLiM etc. installed and configured by desktop-installer, I get
  • a black screen if I use SLiM to login as grahamperrin

I restored and started a snapshot that was taken before use of desktop-installer.

With X.Org, LXDE, SLiM and SDDM installed using pkg (not desktop-installer), using SDDM instead of SLiM, no black screen:

1621290496029.png

With LXDE, SLiM etc. installed and configured by desktop-installer, I get
  • a black screen if I use SLiM to login as grahamperrin

In retrospect, the black screen was probably because I had temporarily removed myself from the wheel group (to test a VMSVGA setup that was suggested in a desktop-installer issue).

Better to be a member of wheel, and to use VBoxSVGA.

Emrion please, are you a member of wheel? <https://www.freshports.org/emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions/#message>

Are recent changes to SLiM relevant? <https://www.freshports.org/x11/slim/#message> | <https://www.freshports.org/x11/slim/#history>

Back