pkg update error

I've been running into this with 12.0-RELEASE to 12.1-RELEASE and freebsd-update

After a lot of frustration, I've had some success with (using the repo of your architecture and quarterly/latest choice)

Code:
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest/All/pkg-1.14.2.txz
sudo pkg add -f pkg-1.14.2.txz

pkg-add(8) suggests that

Code:
sudo pkg add -f https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest/All/pkg-1.14.2.txz
would work as a one-liner, though I have not now tried it successfully.

Thank you in advance.
I have a freebsd box last active in 2019.04 12.0R, your solution help me a lot, it working now.

I'm running into FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r341991 amd64.
FreeBSD 12.0 is end-of-life since February 2020. 12.0-STABLE doesn't exist anymore, -STABLE moved on, it's 12.2-STABLE now. But I suggest you take this opportunity to do a source upgrade to releng/12.2. From that point onward you can use freebsd-update(8) to keep your system updated. -STABLE can only be updated/upgraded by building from source.

Issuing "# pkg bootstrap -f" make the pkg update work again.
Packages are built for 12.2, so this is going to cause problems for you.

I also hit this updating FreeBSD 12.0 with a 2019Q3 cut (my own poudriere) to 2021Q1.
pkg add -f pkg-1.16.3.txz (downloaded locally) did indeed do the trick.

Usually, it's enough to extract pkg-static and run with that. But not this time.

Sure. I've updated probably around 20 hosts.
I just hope that the update to the smartpqi(4) driver that currently sits in a differential and that I plan to install on Monday finally fixes the crashes and hangs I have had with this hardware.

At $WORK we're about to update our poudriere server to 13.x - that's always the first host to move.

My poudriere-server is a Gen8 HP DL 380. It now takes about a day to build all the packages I need - that unfortunately includes libreoffice and three different versions of llvm.

I'm not moving to 13, yet.

My biggest problem are all the old servers with anything between FreeBSD 8 and 11 that cannot easily be migrated because they mostly contain old websites that wouldn't work on anything newer anyway...

My biggest problem are all the old servers with anything between FreeBSD 8 and 11 that cannot easily be migrated because they mostly contain old websites that wouldn't work on anything newer anyway...
Put them into jails on newer hosts?

I may have to re-visit that - but most are running chrooted php-fpm instances via nullfs mounted base- and local directories.

AFAIK, there's no nullfs in a jail and I'd have to manually mount it from outside...which is why I went the route of having multiple PHP-versions in parallel...

It's a rabbit-hole I have not wanted to go down, yet. HP hardware does work surprisingly well, even beyond 10 years in service ;-)

Adding to that: a lot of the hostings are "dead" (in that the customers have moved them elsewhere), but some are still being paid despite that and nobody has time to sort it out...

Back