general/other Is jails good if I want to have a router and a webserver on the same machine?

I'd like to use my home server as a router too. Somebody suggested to use ESXI as host and pfsense for routing and FreeBSD for webserver as guests. The reason that if the router is hacked they won't have an easy time hacking the webserver too and because load on the webserver won't slow down my router this way. Can I solve the same with jails without giving up security and proper resource sharing?

This is a FreeBSD forum and not pfsense or EsXI , sorry for the answer but is against the rules
Not sure if you read the whole question or just those two words. The question was about whether I should use a virtual machine or this can be solved with jails e.g. with FreeBSD+PF on the router side?

Not sure if you read the whole question or just those two words. The question was about whether I should use a virtual machine or this can be solved with jails e.g. with FreeBSD+PF on the router
I read the whole question,but not focus 100%
my apologies…."suggested" I pass the word out

back to you question, today the jails are closer to a virtual machine(maybe 60%) with VNET
you have a real network inside the jail for say it easy
and you can export and import jails from one machine to other
(I use the old ezjail)
but someone with more experience with help you for sure
but I go for jails instead of virtualization
you can have pfsense if is your choice and it will never notice that is running in a jail

I read the whole question,but not focus 100%
my apologies…."suggested" I pass the word out

back to you question, today the jails are closer to a virtual machine(maybe 60%) with VNET
you have a real network inside the jail for say it easy
and you can export and import jails from one machine to other
(I use the old ezjail)
but someone with more experience with help you for sure
but I go for jails instead of virtualization
you can have pfsense if is your choice and it will never notice that is running in a jail
This sounds promising, thanks!

Back