Solved Updates

Hallo everyone,
Could you please tell me how often should I update my FreeBSD? I think once a month would be good, but further, which commands are necessary by updating? Also 2nd question, how do I export firewall configfile?
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I need to export config file to keep it as back-up. Also, the firewall is blocking the updates, I have every time to disable the firewall. Which protocols, ports are responsible and necessary for update?

When there is a firewall between the Windows Update agent and the Internet, the firewall might need to be configured to allow communication for the HTTP and HTTPS ports used for Windows Update. Windows Update agent uses port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS to obtain updates.
Is this same as in Windows?

Yeah, I need to export config file to keep it as back-up.
Then backup the config file. No need to "export" anything.

Also, the firewall is blocking the updates, I have every time to disable the firewall. Which protocols, ports are responsible and necessary for update?
It's just HTTPS or HTTP, depending on what you configured. By default it's HTTPS. A pkg -vv will show you the URL that's used for pkg(8).

You're amazing. I'm really a beginner, but with everyday I'm getting more and more expierenced. If I go back to that config file of IPFW. How to correctly make a backup?

Groetjes!

I'm really a beginner, but with everyday I'm getting more and more experienced.
I was a beginner once too. We all were.

If I go back to that config file of IPFW. How to correctly make a backup?
Just backup /etc/ipfw.rules. You probably also want to backup /etc/rc.conf. Changes to the firewall shouldn't be made "on-the-fly", that's just bad form. Modify the rules list and reload them. That way you can be sure it's always set correctly.

I was a beginner once too. We all were.

Just backup /etc/ipfw.rules. You probably also want to backup /etc/rc.conf. Changes to the firewall shouldn't be made "on-the-fly", that's just bad form. Modify the rules list and reload them. That way you can be sure it's always set correctly.

Well I don't really know how to do that properly.

They're just files. Copy them to some place safe (a share on another machine, external drive, that sort of thing). That's the most basic and simple way of backing anything up. A backup, in its simplest form, is nothing more than a copy of a file stored somewhere else.

If you really want to get fancy you can use a version control system like git to store changes to the file (also nicely keeps track of who made the changes). Or you set up an automated backup solution like Bacula.

Back