USB keyboard not working

I'm trying to install FreeBSD using my regular non-wireless USB keyboard and it stops working right after I go into the installer menu by pressing "Boot Multi User". I've tried it with both memstick and mini-memstick image files written on a pendrive. Strangely enough though I can use my mouse throughout the process and when I tried installing it on virtual machine with .iso file the keyboard worked just fine. How can I get that keyboard to work?

Check your BIOS/UEFI settings regarding support for legacy keyboards. Usually there's an option to make a USB keyboard act like a PS/2 keyboard. Try turning this on or off.

Which brand, model is the keyboard? Have you tried plugging in into different USB ports?
It's a Genesis Thor 300 TKL, I've tried plugging it into different ports but it didn't do much.
Check your BIOS/UEFI settings regarding support for legacy keyboards. Usually there's an option to make a USB keyboard act like a PS/2 keyboard. Try turning this on or off.
I'll try it now
Haven't found anything keyboard-specific but the "Legacy USB Support" setting didn't seem to change anything.

After some fiddling I managed to get it to "somewhat" work by seeing what happens when I enable / disable NKRO using fn-key + scroll-lock combo. It does bring back the standard keyboard layout, however it treats every key as if it was modified by the shift key which can be only undone for letters (as in I can only control the letter case, I can't switch from colon to semicolon by holding shift).

What really fixed the issue was plugging in an old PS/2 keyboard which somehow made the USB mechanical one I'm currently using work totally as expected.

Seems like this issue was reported almost 5 years ago and no one has done anything about it since - https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/using-a-usb-keyboard-for-installation.54375/

That gaming keyboard has Linux as supported OS listed. That indicates it does not need a proprietary driver to work. The 300 tkl has a chipset update 05-2019. If not applied already I would try that update first.

It could also be that this specific brand and model needs a usb_quirk(4) set (keyword UQ_KBD_BOOTPROTO):

That gaming keyboard has Linux as supported OS listed. That indicates it does not need a proprietary driver to work. The 300 tkl has a chipset update 05-2019. If not applied already I would try that update first.

It could also be that this specific brand and model needs a usb_quirk(4) set (keyword UQ_KBD_BOOTPROTO):

Didn't work. I'll try contacting their customer service to see if they have something to say about this issue. Strange, everything seemed to be working just fine on Fedora

Hey, I have the same keyboard. I don't think you needed PS/2 keyboard for install. Disabling NKRO and rebooting fixed it for me. I can't get the multimedia keys to work though.

For the shift bug... you can fix it by pressing Shift + X - not sure why that works, learnt it accidentally. Make sure the keyboard is not locked (might have to press F12 once more to unlock it).

Do you have any replies from their customer service?

Late edit: decided to move volume controls to the mod (windows) key
Mod + F9 = mute
Mod + F10 = vol-down
Mod + F11 = vol-up

Last edited:
Back