mysql broken after upgrading freebsd

So, I upgraded freebsd from 11.1 to 12.1 after this I updated ports and upgraded softwares like mysql, php etc. So, most software work even though there's warnings because
configs are using outdated stuff. However, most software still runs and works. Mysql is the only thing that's broken. It has a major error that doesn't allow it to run.

error states this : " ld-elf.so.1: shared object "libncursesw.so.8" not found .
mysql80-server: warning failed to start mysql."

this is what it spits out. I asked on other websites and was told there's an issue.
I need to go to ports and install compat12x. So, I try this and do a install make clean.

I get an error message that compat12x needs freebsd 13 installed.

Now, I tried to upgrade to freebsd13 thru freebsd-update and was told I can't and need to install from sources.

I need to know what I need to do to fix this issue and if I need to upgrade to freebsd 13 how can I do this?
Like what commands I need to use? I tried freebsd-update -r upgrade freebsd13.0-current.

Thanks In Advance.

stay with 12.1 if you want a rock-steady stable system. you can try with compat11 (it ran with 11.1 so you need compat11). To be on the save side, copy all the data files of mysql to a safe place in case you have no backups. Then you could uninstall mysql and all dependencies and do a fresh install of mysql8, placing the data files back to the appropriate location. You could also try to copy all that files to a jail and run it in a FreeBSD 11.1-jail until you migrate all the stuff to 12.1. I prefer to do a dump before upgrade, and then start over with a fresh install of my components, in this case mysql, and then restore the dump.

stay with 12.1 if you want a rock-steady stable system. you can try with compat11 (it ran with 11.1 so you need compat11). To be on the save side, copy all the data files of mysql to a safe place in case you have no backups. Then you could uninstall mysql and all dependencies and do a fresh install of mysql8, placing the data files back to the appropriate location. You could also try to copy all that files to a jail and run it in a FreeBSD 11.1-jail until you migrate all the stuff to 12.1. I prefer to do a dump before upgrade, and then start over with a fresh install of my components, in this case mysql, and then restore the dump.
I do have a backup before I upgraded to freebsd12.1 but I already have compat11 installed. It's mysql80-server that complains. I am sure if I installed the previous verison back it would work. Like the older version of mysql would work fine. It's just that I don't want to have to keep every now and then updating software randomly over the year to just to keep being up to date .I rather update everything at once and not think about it until the next version. I always once up a month check to update software if it needs to be. but I do it all at the same time. I just don't like updating a few knowing there's more that needs to be updated and leave it for a month or two to then update those. Because when that happens that's when I normally forget and I assume i update everything back on that one day. That's why I like to jut update everything at the same time.

ok, then you don't need compat11. Maybe try to uninstall mysql80-server and do a pkg autoremove, then start over with pkg install mysql80-server (assuming you are using pkg)

Slow down - take a deep breath.

FreeBSD 12.1 is fine, it looks like you've got some dependency issue with MySQL.

Back to basics - how did you upgrade? Double-check you completed all steps and make sure you are up-to-date with any newer patches.

How do you install applications? Via ports or pkg?

If you do an internet search for your error "libncursesw.so" - looks like that's something to do with ncurses. So maybe you have to rebuild or reinstall that and/or rebuild/reinstall MySQL (as rootbert says above.)

Slow down - take a deep breath.

FreeBSD 12.1 is fine, it looks like you've got some dependency issue with MySQL.

Back to basics - how did you upgrade? Double-check you completed all steps and make sure you are up-to-date with any newer patches.

How do you install applications? Via ports or pkg?

If you do an internet search for your error "libncursesw.so" - looks like that's something to do with ncurses. So maybe you have to rebuild or reinstall that and/or rebuild/reinstall MySQL (as rootbert says above.)

I ran freebsd-update fetch and then update until I got no updates downloaded message. Then I did freebsd-update -r upgrade freebsd12.1-RELEASE and ran that. It grab the files and downloadded it. It then installed the upgrade. It told me to restart and run freebsd-update fetch and update and install. I then ran portsnap fetch and then update. I used ports.

The problem with this though is that some ports failed to make and install. So, I then did a pkg update and it downloaded new packages and then I installed stuff thru there. i mostly used pkg to instant.. The ports normally failed wit h error 70 and 1.

yes it relates to ncurses. I reinstall that via pkg. how would I rebuilt mysql? I don't think I tried that. I tried doing a make install clean in the ports but got error 70 and error 1. it just fails.
error 70 comes after a line that states mysql80-server is registering.

but the file that the error states is missing. Someone had me check i THINK in /usr/.libs and it was in that folder. They told me maybe a system link issue? could it be permission issues? because I know I had permission issues because before the upgrade I make a backup of everything but it would keep giving me permission issues where I can't copy over files. so I think I by mistake chmod 777 call the files on the OS. and did a back up that way . Then I dump the files back on a new drive and am using the new drive. I had a lot of permission issues cleared all the ones that complained at startup and with most software commonly used like apache etc. when starting. So, I cleared that.

I am now thinking I should change it. I think the lib folder I chmod it to 655. it was due to some complaining that the permissions are too open and wouldn't run. after chmodding that it fixed those errors and apache finally ran and many other programs.

I am thinking now this might be the issue.

IIRC you had to reboot twice. In your case I would uninstall all packages and do a fresh install of the packages, I am quite sure the base operating system is fine. If you are happy with the default config options of packages I would stay with pkg, ports and packages should not be mixed.

It feels like the upgrading of ports/packages was missed or went wrong? You said that you did this, so something must have failed.

Generally, installed applications will continue to work without problems after minor version upgrades. Major versions use different Application Binary Interfaces (ABIs), which will break most third-party applications. After a major version upgrade, all installed packages and ports need to be upgraded. Packages can be upgraded using pkg upgrade. To upgrade installed ports, use a utility such as ports-mgmt/portmaster.

Not sure what you are doing with the file permissions - shouldn't be required for the upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1.

Were you on MySQL 8 when using FreeBSD 11?

As rootbert says - don't mix ports and packages, choose one and stick with it, and pkg is the recommended way these days. And as rootbert says, it might be best to clear out & fresh install the packages (make sure you've backed up any data/config.)

It feels like the upgrading of ports/packages was missed or went wrong? You said that you did this, so something must have failed.

Generally, installed applications will continue to work without problems after minor version upgrades. Major versions use different Application Binary Interfaces (ABIs), which will break most third-party applications. After a major version upgrade, all installed packages and ports need to be upgraded. Packages can be upgraded using pkg upgrade. To upgrade installed ports, use a utility such as ports-mgmt/portmaster.

Not sure what you are doing with the file permissions - shouldn't be required for the upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1.

Were you on MySQL 8 when using FreeBSD 11?

As rootbert says - don't mix ports and packages, choose one and stick with it, and pkg is the recommended way these days. And as rootbert says, it might be best to clear out & fresh install the packages (make sure you've backed up any data/config.)
No, when I was on freebsd 11 i used mysq;57-server.

Did you try and upgrade MySQL during the upgrade process?
MySQL 5.7 is the current default (so far as I know) so I don't think any of the upgrade process would try and move you to MySQL 8.x?

I wouldn't recommend changing any versions of ports/packages during a major OS version upgrade, unless you are compelled to.

MySQL 5.7 is the current default (so far as I know) so I don't think any of the upgrade process would try and move you to MySQL 8.x?
It won't. From the system's point of view they are two different applications, not the same application with multiple versions. So it won't suddenly upgrade your MySQL from 5.6 to 8.0 for example. You can get in a situation like that if the default changes though. In that case you will likely end up without the -server package as only the client gets updated (and due to the dependency chain the -server package gets removed).

So is the current version mysql 5.7?
Yes.
Code:
# Possible values: 5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 8.0, 5.5m, 10.1m, 10.2m, 10.3m, 10.4m, 5.5p, 5.6p, 5.7p, 5.6w
MYSQL_DEFAULT?=         5.7
See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk.

Did you fix your MySQL?

Do not upgrade the database schema from 5.x to 8.0 without analyze your program first as there's some deprecated functions that were drop in MySQL 8.0
If you need a single program build from ports then stop using packages. All upgrades of all programs must be done via ports otherwise you will end up with missing dependencies. To fix this you will need to remove the installed package then to run pkg autoremove to clean the rest of the old installed dependences and install it again using the port.

ps.
Current version is MySQL 8.0
Default version in FreeBSD is MySQL 5.7
Default version is the version against All packages are build. If you need to work with the current version then you need to use ports.

Did you fix your MySQL?

Do not upgrade the database schema from 5.x to 8.0 without analyze your program first as there's some deprecated functions that were drop in MySQL 8.0
If you need a single program build from ports then stop using packages. All upgrades of all programs must be done via ports otherwise you will end up with missing dependencies. To fix this you will need to remove the installed package then to run pkg autoremove to clean the rest of the old installed dependences and install it again using the port.

ps.
Current version is MySQL 8.0
Default version in FreeBSD is MySQL 5.7
Default version is the version against All packages are build. If you need to work with the current version then you need to use ports.

No, I don't have mysql 8.0 working. Mysql 5.7 works flawlessly but I just w ant to have the current verison install so I don't have to do this in a couple of months.

Installing MySQL 8.0 is easy but you need to upgrade your database and verify if your application is using some deprecated functions from 5.x. So it's better to stay on version 5.x on your production server and test your upgrade on some other developer test server where you can install MySQL 8.0 and restore a copy of your database and program to verify if everything is ok and after that to upgrade your production server to MySQL 8.0

For more information regarding the changes between 8.0 and 5.x you can read here:

I ran this command: perl -v and it gave an error saying something like ld-elf.so.0 shared library libperl5.24.so missing. I even uninstall perl5.30 and tried make sure no perl is installed and when that happened. I ran the perl -v command and I get the same error. Is there any command that I can run to figure out if there's any perl install? I just don't understand the error I am getting other than that perl is trying to run perl5.24 even though I installed perl5.30 and changed i changed the make config to use perl5.30. I ran apache24 and it uses perl5.30 with no issues.

It really feels like you missed out a step during the upgrade - you seem to have a mess of old and new ports/packages and libraries.

This shows the perl on one of my systems and the libraries it uses:
Code:
% ldd `which perl`
/usr/local/bin/perl:
    libperl.so.5.30 => /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.30/mach/CORE/libperl.so.5.30 (0x800249000)
    libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x8005b3000)
    libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x8005e0000)
    libcrypt.so.5 => /lib/libcrypt.so.5 (0x800612000)
    libutil.so.9 => /lib/libutil.so.9 (0x800633000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x80064a000)

I even uninstall perl5.30 and tried make sure no perl is installed and when that happened. I ran the perl -v command and I get the same error.
If you removed all perl versions you should get a "Command not found" error actually. Which means there's something lingering on your system that shouldn't be there.

What does ls -l /usr/bin/perl* /usr/local/bin/perl* show?

I ran freebsd-update fetch and then update until I got no updates downloaded message. Then I did freebsd-update -r upgrade freebsd12.1-RELEASE and ran that. It grab the files and downloadded it. It then installed the upgrade. It told me to restart and run freebsd-update fetch and update and install. I then ran portsnap fetch and then update. I used ports.

Aren't you mixing quarterly pkgs with latest ports? This seems to be a common problem.
By default, freebsd12.1-RELEASE has /quarterly in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, but portsnap tool
uses /latest ports tree. Mixing those are incorrect.
If so, either switch pkg.conf to /latest or use quarterly
ports. To use quarterly ports you either need to track the proper ports branch every time it's made (2020Q2 now) or to use this script to automatically switch branches: https://chriswells.io/downloads/System Administration/Shell Scripts/portsfetch

Also note that there is /usr/ports/INDEX-12 (for FreeBSD-12) file that need to be either recreated (make index) or fetched (make fetchindex). The last option gives you only latest by default if I'm not wrong. Be careful!

It really feels like you missed out a step during the upgrade - you seem to have a mess of old and new ports/packages and libraries.

This shows the perl on one of my systems and the libraries it uses:
Code:
% ldd `which perl`
/usr/local/bin/perl:
    libperl.so.5.30 => /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.30/mach/CORE/libperl.so.5.30 (0x800249000)
    libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x8005b3000)
    libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x8005e0000)
    libcrypt.so.5 => /lib/libcrypt.so.5 (0x800612000)
    libutil.so.9 => /lib/libutil.so.9 (0x800633000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x80064a000)
I have no clue to be honest.

I fixed the issue but not sure if it's the right way.

What I found is there's a /usr/bin/perl and a /usr/local/bin /perl.

Now in /usr/local/bin/ there's a perl, perl5.24 a perl5.26 and a perl5.30

So, I had to do a sys link. So, I renamed /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perlbak and then made a sys link named perl at that location.
that links it to /usr/local/bin/perl5.30 and after that everything worked.

However, now I back to the original problem. I did rebild the ports and upgraded things.

I still get the error ld-elf.so.1 : libncursesw.so.8 not found but is needed for csh. this is what it spits out.

I think I have to do something similar. Even thought the latest libncursesw.so.8. So, I don't know what else I can do.

Only mysql8.0 can't run right now. My other softwares can run flawlessly.

perl isn't part of the base, so my understanding is that it should never have been in /usr/bin but only /usr/local/bin.

Maybe you manually built and installed perl (i.e. outside of ports) at some point? And that installed to /usr/bin?

The older versions in /usr/local/bin - if you built those from ports then maybe you didn't follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING? There are usually a few tidy-up steps each time there's a new version of perl.

I think you've got a bit of a tangled mess of libraries - a careful backup of configuration, databases, etc. and test that backup on another machine.

Then rebuild this affected machine from a clean install of 12.1.

The error
perl isn't part of the base, so my understanding is that it should never have been in /usr/bin but only /usr/local/bin.

Maybe you manually built and installed perl (i.e. outside of ports) at some point? And that installed to /usr/bin?

The older versions in /usr/local/bin - if you built those from ports then maybe you didn't follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING? There are usually a few tidy-up steps each time there's a new version of perl.

I think you've got a bit of a tangled mess of libraries - a careful backup of configuration, databases, etc. and test that backup on another machine.

Then rebuild this affected machine from a clean install of 12.1.
No, I wouldn't build manually. I just install from either ports or pkg. I always try to install stuff from ports.

right now I looked at the error and it looks like csh is complaining that it cannot find libncurse.so.8

I ran ldd /bin/csh and it shows all that it depends on and it shows it finds /libncurses.so.8 now I am trying to figure out if it's a permission issue.

Why would t his affect mysql80-server? does it use csh?

Have you got another machine you can try on? Or a machine that you can put a VM on?

Install FreeBSD 12.1 there and try MySQL 8 and everything else you want - get it all working, document the steps you need to take. Try binary packages first.

Then you'll know it works and how to get it working and then you can decide what to do with the mangled machine.

I do not know how to fix the mangled machine - I think you will have issue after issue after issue with it because you have somehow got it in a tangled mess. Obviously not on purpose, but that's where you are now. Every time you try and install or upgrade something in the future, you might get another error. Copying things and symlinking etc. will only be papering over the cracks.

What you are seeing is not normal (not in my experience, anyway!) for FreeBSD so my 2c is that you need to scrub and start again. But if you try on another machine and confirm that you can get everything the way you want it and that FreeBSD 12.1 is fine then I think you'll have a bit more confidence that FreeBSD is OK and you can get what you want from it.

Back