Solved Thinkpad trackpoint middle button

Works on Windows 10 on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon, but not on FreeBSD 12.1 on the same system.

I guess I need to tweek something.... that is, if it is even possible...

It would be nice to know if anyone has this working.

It's not something special about the button, it's done on the upper level. You'll have to catch the events from it and call a program/script for the corresponding action.

Now that is interesting. I never thought to use this before. On my Thinkpad I've set /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"

But beyond that, I just do enable the mouse daemon.

Ok, did some testing.

Enabling Synaptics got the touchpad scrolling working, but no dice on trackpoint.

moused_flags="-V" gets trackpoint+middle button scrolling to work as intended.

Let me know if that works out for you. I like that feature a lot.

I have a ThinkPad. That synaptics line hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" makes everything work: all 3 trackpad buttons + the red thingy. Not that I used it much, but was proud to see that it actually works. It also has fingerprint sensor, but I didn't even bother to make THAT work. Although might be funny. Even without moused_flags.

By my understanding the OP is asking about using the middle button of the TrackPoint. Should we assume that everything else is working?
If yes, the easiets way to check whether the data/events are being propagated is to cat the corresponding input devices:
Code:
# cat /dev/input/eventX
and press the button(s).

Hmm. The linked article is about Windows 7. I'm afraid, this functionality is enabled by Lonovo ThinkPad driver for Windows.
But I don't see why it should not be possible to somehow enable that behaviour under Unix DE. Neither can I see why it should be FreeBSD-specific.

At least, copy-pasting works fine with middle button.

Also, all laptops' hardware is different, e.g. in my Dell Precision 7540 the trackpoint and touch pad are completely different devices, the former is PS2, the latter is I2C. So, it's not straight forward to setup both properly in xorg.conf. Although I don't use the trackpoint, but I had to configure it anyway since both middle buttons are wired to it (otherwise the touchpad's middle button does nothing).

This is just a "by the way". I only recently started using the red button on my think pad, because I discovered that it is much more reliable for me than the trackpad, especially when selecting text. This even more recent discovery of the use of the middle button for scrolling is also very welcome.

My Thinkpad is a relatively new E14 using Ghostbsd based on Freebsd Stable.

Thanks!

Somewhat off-topic, but are you familiar with vimium. It can be used with both chromium and firefox, basically enables mouse (or trackpad) free web browsing, Just hit the j button to scroll down the page, k to go up, etc. Hitting f gives each link a one or two letter shortcut and then hitting that letter will open the link.

Thanks, I believe I did use vimium a few years back and I'm certainly addicted to vim itself. Perhaps I need to revisit vimium!

Back