Solved Thinkpad trackpoint middle button

OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

Works on Windows 10 on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon, but not on FreeBSD 12.1 on the same system.

I guess I need to tweek something.... that is, if it is even possible...

It would be nice to know if anyone has this working.

aragats

Daemon

It's not something special about the button, it's done on the upper level. You'll have to catch the events from it and call a program/script for the corresponding action.

bookwormep

Now that is interesting. I never thought to use this before. On my Thinkpad I've set /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
But beyond that, I just do enable the mouse daemon.

eldaemon

Ok, did some testing.

Enabling Synaptics got the touchpad scrolling working, but no dice on trackpoint.

moused_flags="-V" gets trackpoint+middle button scrolling to work as intended.

Let me know if that works out for you. I like that feature a lot.

free-and-bsd

Aspiring Daemon

I have a ThinkPad. That synaptics line hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" makes everything work: all 3 trackpad buttons + the red thingy. Not that I used it much, but was proud to see that it actually works. It also has fingerprint sensor, but I didn't even bother to make THAT work. Although might be funny. Even without moused_flags.

aragats

Daemon

By my understanding the OP is asking about using the middle button of the TrackPoint. Should we assume that everything else is working?
If yes, the easiets way to check whether the data/events are being propagated is to cat the corresponding input devices:
Code:
# cat /dev/input/eventX
and press the button(s).

free-and-bsd

Aspiring Daemon

Hmm. The linked article is about Windows 7. I'm afraid, this functionality is enabled by Lonovo ThinkPad driver for Windows.
But I don't see why it should not be possible to somehow enable that behaviour under Unix DE. Neither can I see why it should be FreeBSD-specific.

At least, copy-pasting works fine with middle button.

aragats

Daemon

Also, all laptops' hardware is different, e.g. in my Dell Precision 7540 the trackpoint and touch pad are completely different devices, the former is PS2, the latter is I2C. So, it's not straight forward to setup both properly in xorg.conf. Although I don't use the trackpoint, but I had to configure it anyway since both middle buttons are wired to it (otherwise the touchpad's middle button does nothing).

OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

Many thanks to all the helped. I have it working now.