Solved Fatal error installing Flmsg from ports.

Synth, at least on that laptop, is a very SLOW build. It has been running here now for at least two hours, and no end in sight.

Ha! I've got an old 8GB, Quad Core AMD64 with spinning disks as a poudriere package builder for my Armv7/8 stuff and some packages take a week to build because of all the damn dependencies. Ok, it's cross-compiling, but still, you don't know what SLOW is... :)

OK. Will do...as soon as it is finished installing synth :)

If the port builds successfully, don't worry about the make clean. It was just an idea before you ran your build in case there's some guff in the port's working directory.

Sigh...

Well, here is the latest error message from my attempt to install synth from the ports:

Code:
pkg-static: Cannot get an exclusive lock on a database, it is locked by another process
*** Error code 75

Stop.

make[5]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/gcc6-aux
*** Error code 1

Stop.

make[4]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/gcc6-aux
*** Error code 1

Stop.

make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/misc/ini_file_manager
*** Error code 1

Stop.

make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/misc/ini_file_manager
*** Error code 1

Stop.

make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth
*** Error code 1

Stop.

make: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth

[root@pharc2 /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth]#

Well, I'm too stubborn to give up or quit. I'll figure it out

Ken Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:
The obvious question: you don't have pkg running as well?
No.

What does pkg update return? pkg clean?
pkg update updated a few installed packages, 5, I think, then ended with no errors.

pkg clean finished correctly: final message was "All done". :)

Freed up 2 Gigs.

I'll also investigate port-master as soon as I have a bit of time.

This has been a fun "learning experience" so far. I am also reading "Absolute BSD" and am learning, or re-learning stuff, some of which is amazing, and I really like the author's sense of humor: his small "asides" can be really funny. :)

Again, thanks.

Ken Gordon

Gee.... portmaster /usr/ports/comms/flamp: results are very interesting, to say the least. It has been working for better than 2 hours, with no end in sight, but also with (so far) zero errors. Looks like, so far, 35 out of 169 files installed.

Nice.

Ken Gordon

Wow! I started the process around 9:00 AM, and now it is 5:00 PM and still going. Innersting to be sure. :)

Ken Gordon

220/4933. Guess I'll let it run until it finishes.....sometime tomorrow....or Wednesday.

Ken Gordon
Maybe you'll beat my week to build murmur on AMD64 for ArmV7...

I looked at it and yes, the dependencies alone for the FL toolkit are eye-watering, let alone the rest.
For example, you need libX11, which needs libxcb, which needs python36 and that's pulling in its dependencies.

We hope to hear from you in a 3 days about your successful build! ;)

Ha ha! :)

Well, it looks as though I am heading towards your week. This morning it had reached 2045/4933 in 24 hours. At that rate, it will take at least another 36 hours. And so far (keeping my fingers crossed) no errors.

My only thought is "how much disk space is this taking?". The HD in this laptop is only 160 GB.

Well, I don't need to use this laptop at the moment, so I will just let it run.

Thanks again, folks.

Ken Gordon

I can do this build in about 20 minutes - I wonder if there is a way I can build the package for you and send or maybe that wouldn't work since you have to have all the dependencies as well. I checked "latest" packages and it seems only comms/flmsg is available. I think you need others as well. When I did this test build a few days ago, it built several things if I remember correctly.

Well, when I began this exercise, I was more than a little surprised at the long list of dependencies needed. As far as I am concerned, this was needing done anyway, so now is as good a time as any.

Thank you for the offer, Paul, but not only am I learning a lot, as I mentioned, I think it was needing done anyway. Besides, when I need to build a port of flmsg, all the "necessary" will have been done.....I hope.

Also, for what I am doing here, I need, first, the base program, fldigi which is in the ports to begin with, but also flarq (which comes with fldigi), flrig, flamp, and flmsg. Although there are others in the FL series, I won't need those for awhile, if ever.

At this point, I am at 2606/4933, or a little better than half way.

Ken Gordon

So.....it appears that everything has been accomplished.

The screen now shows a colon prompt, and I am not sure what to do at this point.

If I hit q, I get various warning messages.

Something, perhaps portmaster, seems to be trying to tell me that something failed, yet flamp now works perfectly and from the "log" it appears that everything installed correctly, including, finally, flamp. I am wondering if this message is in error?

Am I finished or not?

Total time on this is around 55 hours.

Ken

So.....it appears that everything has been accomplished.

The screen now shows a colon prompt, and I am not sure what to do at this point.

If I hit q, I get various warning messages.

Something, perhaps portmaster, seems to be trying to tell me that something failed, yet flamp now works perfectly and from the "log" it appears that everything installed correctly, including, finally, flamp. I am wondering if this message is in error?

Am I finished or not?

Total time on this is around 55 hours.

Ken
I don't know ,it's hard to guess without seeing what you're seeing. I assume you're in more/less and it's displaying a log file?

But, if the completed package works, then it couldn't have been an error that affected compilation.

I don't know ,it's hard to guess without seeing what you're seeing. I assume you're in more/less and it's displaying a log file?
Ah. More/less. Maybe: some sort of help-file just showed up and among other commands, ZZ shut it down. Then it left me a message about restarting portmaster to finish what had not been finished.
But, if the completed package works, then it couldn't have been an error that affected compilation.
Agreed. For one thing, there was a LONG list of things which had been successfully installed, and there was no mention in that list of anything failing. From the message, I think it was referring to one of the dependencies which had not finished, something like py87, which may not have been needed for the original installation, but had some extra functionality which may be needed in the future.

I'll revisit it and restart portmaster, using the command that it saved, with the -R directive.

Ken

In /tmp there is a file portmasterfail.txt with this command in it: portmaster -dRf comms/flamp textproc/py-sphinx@py37

What does that tell you? It doesn't tell me very much, especially since flamp was reported by...something...as installed with no errors, and it works as it should.

BTW, I subsequently installed flmsg and it, too, installed with no errors, and works as it should.

Ken

Looking at this port, it's a documentation package for python. Sheez, is it any wonder it took 55 hours if it's compiling useless guff like that.

Another useless dependency sucked in to build something totally unrelated... :rolleyes:

I think you can be satisfied you've got your package(s), regardless of this junk that failed to compile (or so it seems).

[If you really wanted to waste your time you could go to /textproc/py-sphinx/work and make the target and see what fails. Me, I would rather watch grass grow.]

This is somewhat for posterity, but I was having a similar problem when trying to build virtualbox-ose-5.2.34 from source. No X11/X.h and, after pasting it manually, no Xfuncproto.h.

Though I'd recently upgraded to FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 and done a `portsnap fetch update`, my /usr/ports/x11/xorgproto was somehow out of sync. Doing a `make deinstall` then `make reinstall` fixed it and the whole litany of missing X headers.

Sorry for the slight tangent but this is the top Google result when searching on this problem.

Though I'd recently upgraded to FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 and done a `portsnap fetch update`, my /usr/ports/x11/xorgproto was somehow out of sync. Doing a `make deinstall` then `make reinstall` fixed it and the whole litany of missing X headers.
Code:
20180731:
  AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg and all ports with USE_XORG=*proto
  AUTHOR: zeising@FreeBSD.org

The xorg *proto packages have all been merged into one package,
  x11/xorgproto.  This might cause issues with upgrading.  If you
  get conflicts between xorgproto and old *proto packages, please
  remove the old package and install xorgproto again.

In order to remove all orphaned ports, including all *proto port,
  the following can be used after the ports tree has been updated:
  pkg version -l \? | cut -f 1 -w | grep -v compat | xargs pkg delete -fy
Please read /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Back