Solved Fvwm Keyboard Shortcuts Configuration

Hi,
I'm trying to configure my beloved keyboard shortcuts on FVWM...
...which are:

Code:
Super_L + Left/Right       => change to left/right workspace
Super_L + Space            => toggle maximize   active window
Strg    + Space            => toggle Fullscreen active window

Super_L + Alt + Left/Right => move active window to left/right Workspace
Super_L + Down             => minimize active window
Super_L + Up               => toggle between windows of active Workspace

Alt     + Space            => open window's context menu

Super_L + Mouse 1          => move   active Window
Super_L + Alt + Mouse 1    => resize active Window

All this runs without Problems on Xfce4, Fluxbox and Openbox.
I think, I have understood the general concept of FVWM's shortcuts configuration like described in the beginner tutorials in the web, but didn't found a way to configure these on FVWM till now.

- For excemple, I can configure Alt ("M") + Strg ("C"), but not Strg + Alt.

- Also I didn't found a way to use keyboard-shortcuts for the active Window (maximize etc) without using the mouse.

- How can I use the space-key for configuration?

Is there a way to realize the described shortcuts also for FVWM?

thanks a lot,
tom

Hello.

How can I use the space-key for configuration?
First of all, you must use the following syntax to define keyboard bindings: Key <key> <context> <modifier> <action>. For example Key Space A M SomeAction will execute SomeAction when you press Alt+SPACE, with Space being the (spacebar) key, Alt being the modifier (M stands for Meta -- Alt) and A for Anywhere being the context.

I can configure Alt ("M") + Strg ("C"), but not Strg + Alt.
You simply use both as modifier -- CM -- instead of a standalone C or M.

Also I didn't found a way to use keyboard-shortcuts for the active Window (maximize etc) without using the mouse.
Key F9 A N MaximizeAction will execute MaximizeAction - however you defined that - when you press F9.

It's all quite straightforward.

Thank's a lot, i think, I've got it!

When I use the modifiers CM, but no key in additional Key none A CM function, what can I use to tell Fvwm that no key shall be set (meaning Strg+Alt = action) instead of "none"?

And a second question...
Per default, Fvwm's internal Root-Menu is configured to appear on Mouse1 desktop, now I've put my own menu on Mouse3 and would like to have no action when I press Mouse1 on the root window. At the moment, I'm only able to replace the internal Menu with something else. Is there a way to free Mouse1 on the root window from any functions?

When I use the modifiers CM, but no key in additional Key none A CM function, what can I use to tell Fvwm that no key shall be set (meaning Strg+Alt = action) instead of "none"?
I very much doubt it's possible. By definition modifiers, well, ... modify keys; they can't modify a "non-key". keysymdef.h doesn't even define such a "Null" key, which is very logical if you think about it.

Per default, Fvwm's internal Root-Menu is configured to appear on Mouse1 desktop, now I've put my own menu on Mouse3 and would like to have no action when I press Mouse1 on the root window. At the moment, I'm only able to replace the internal Menu with something else. Is there a way to free Mouse1 on the root window from any functions?
Have you tried overriding it with: Mouse 1 R N Nop?

Yes, this all does work fine.
Also, I got all shortcuts working fine (except these, which are only made of modifiers).

I find it's hard to understand, which arguments are part of the function, and which are part of the style used for this function...

Please, there's one more question:
I'm using sloppy focus, so a window get it's focus when the mouse-cursor hovers it.

Is it possible to bring the focus on a window, even if the cursor is laying on the root-window when changing the workspace? Meaning, if I change the workspace, always one of the windows will get the focus?

Next Problem appears: I don't find a way in the manpage, to cause the pager not using a desktop-label..

Back