hardware for workstation

just read that the supermicro X11SSH-TF
Yes this looks very interesting to me. Run OpenBMC on the AST2400 and we really have something open.
My only issue is I don't want 10G-BaseT and that drives this board price up over $150 above X11-SSH-F without 10G.
So will this coreboot firmware also work on all X11-SSH variants....

You might need to buff up that Crystal Sound logo too.
What about the TPU chip. What-in the heck is that anyway? Never heard of it.
If that Realtek chip is the LAN then we can go clay-pidgin shooting with it.
#edit# Intel LAN
##edit2## So we have Intel LAN and RealTek onboard...

Last edited:
No gamer bling

What is with that these days. By the looks of what's out there anyone who puts together a computer is using a transparent case and only uses it to play games. I don't know maybe that's true, but it's annoying how everything consumer is covered in logos and animated LEDS now. Seems like a waste to me.

What is with that these days. By the looks of what's out there anyone who puts together a computer is using a transparent case and only uses it to play games. I don't know maybe that's true, but it's annoying how everything consumer is covered in logos and animated LEDS now. Seems like a waste to me.
Apparently it's true that the majority of consumers who build their own PC from components (mainboard, CPU, RAM, storage etc.) are gamers and hardware enthusiasts. “Normal” consumers who need a PC for office applications, web browser & mail (and maybe just occasional games) rarely build their own, but buy a ready-made PC.

Fortunately, my Asus Ryzen mainboard has a single switch in the BIOS setup to turn all of the LED stuff off completely (except for the diagnostic and power LED, of course). Interestingly, it is attached as a USB HID device; FreeBSD locates it thusly:
Code:
ugen0.2: <AsusTek Computer Inc. AURA LED Controller> at usbus0
uhid0: <AsusTek Computer Inc. AURA LED Controller, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 1> on usbus0
So it might be possible to control the LEDs with usbhidctl(1), but I haven't gotten around to actually play with it. If it works, this might be a nice way to visualize system parameters. For example, let the LEDs glow red if the system load exceeds a certain threshold. Or let it blink green if a long-running job is done (e.g. buildkernel). Provided, of course, that your PC casing is at least partially translucent.

I wouldn't be able to see them since I have zero interest in a transparent or window case, but for diagnostics with the cover off that might put them to a use that makes them less of a waste anyway.

lol yes. its everywhere.

Its kind of annoying in as much as its making assumptions about the consumer's intentions in how its going to be used. Even more annoying knowing that their assumptions are right for 90% of the market 😃

I would buy a HP or Dell, but then they would assume I need windows 😃 or linux even. errrr... nope.

Cant buy a smartphone without the assumption that I cant live without taking a selfie every 5 minutes.

Even cameras assume that my number 1 goal is to post as many shots to Instagram as fast as possible. Thank goodness for Pentax.

Cars assume I need Facebook on the dash to get from A to B.

How long till phones, cameras and cars catch the RGB craze too I wonder? actually.. don't answer that please.

All good reasons why Freebsd appeals, for staying true to solid and reasonable ideas 😃

Cant buy a smartphone without the assumption that I cant live without taking a selfie every 5 minutes.

Got a chuckle out of that. Yeah it's pretty annoying how makers assume a use for the products they make, I guess it's just the way of marketing. Though definitely products made consolations for non-targeted usage way more than they do now. I run into that a lot where my usage doesn't fit in that little square box.

It's ironic though, I curse my laptop computer because it doesn't have a drive indicator led, yet other things are covered with them that serve no function other than to annoy me with electromagnetic radiation.

I curse my laptop computer because it doesn't have a drive indicator led
I sorely miss the "write protect" button that every self-respecting disk drive used to have right next to the drive access indicator light... It was genuinely useful... 30 years of progress...

The market dictates what is and isn't useful. Seems the people actually using the stuff have no say in the matter.

Back