"FreeBSD vs DesktopBSD"

Hello, everyone, in the last few years I've been doing a lot of tests with Unix systems, and in one of these tests, specifically with desktopBSD systems, I've come across a situation that even though I've been studying a lot about, I really couldn't understand.
How the desktopBSD system, being a UNIX system, achieve the total resolution of my monitor, without using anything but a simple integrated video processor, Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2500 MHz (7.5 x 333).
The already obsolete desktopBSD system initializes at the time of installation a script, which adjusts the image resolution to the largest available for the monitor on which the system is being installed.
And my short question is, why Unix systems do not use the same script for all systems, since it is functional and the only one to achieve this feat.
Thank all those who can have contribute possible opinions, and answers on this matter.

. . . And my short question is, why Unix systems do not use the same script for all systems, since it is functional and the only one to achieve this feat.
The various Unix systems are, of course, independent. They also have different ideas and resources. One of the common issues with FreeBSD and desktop environments is that the most important thing is to keep the high quality of the basic OS - as one would use for a server, for example. With the limited developer resources that we have, there is simply not enough manpower to bring the GUI related ports up to the level that you might find elsewhere.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

And my short question is, why Unix systems do not use the same script for all systems, since it is functional and the only one to achieve this feat.

Care to share this magic script? We can then confirm whether it works with FreeBSD.

How the desktopBSD system, being a UNIX system, achieve the total resolution of my monitor, without using anything but a simple integrated video processor, Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2500 MHz (7.5 x 333).
The monitor returns information over VGA/DVI/HDMI cable about its resolution. The rest is standard and compatibility.

The monitor returns information over VGA/DVI/HDMI cable about its resolution. The rest is standard and compatibility.
Which works very nicely for laptops and single stand-alone systems. To me it's always a real headache since I rarely work without a KVM. It sure would be nice if there was another (simple, not xorg.conf) way to deal with monitors. I know, single laptops are a popular choice these days, and you can't please everybody. :)

Just to be the onion in the basket of apples,
DesktopBSD is a Unix-derivative, desktop-oriented operating system based on FreeBSD. Its goal is to combine the stability of FreeBSD with the ease-of-use of KDE Plasma 5, which is the default graphical user interface
got a use KDE, or it is more suited to KDE out of box experience, which I'd have to kill that first thing.

So it makes me leary to even concider DesktopBSD because of there choice of default DT.

"Care to share this magic script? We can then confirm whether it works with FreeBSD."

Exactly this question I wanted to read.

Hello Trev, exactly in this point i stopped.
I am not an expert on scripts, actually understand little, merely i found in one of folder's of the desktopBSD system, and also managed to run the script something that is simple.
I run this script using the GhoustBSD system, but since nothing happened, I understood the answer of my dear JO ( thank you very much for the Welcome to the Forum), I understood a little better about how UNIX systems work, perhaps for that reason, of each UNIX system being "unique" in the sense of being independent, the script does not work.
Care to share this magic script? We can then confirm whether it works with FreeBSD.

OBS. I don't write English correctly, if you all don't understand something, please write me.

I will attach the script, so the user of the Forum and you all that writes "on this theme" can do its tests. I would also love to make this script work, especially in the FreeBSD system, because i could disclose to my students in a more open and clear way, so that each of them, those who have the best financial condition, and the least favored of my country, have in your computers, one System which is a stable, robust, resourceful, very beautiful and mostly Free. Becauseis the main issue of many people using the most commonly used Systems, is mainly because of the fact of the beauty and usability, I believe very much that these two factors contribute to an initial use of the system, and through this, the user will want to know more about the system, leading it to mass results. A very interesting work in the sense of visual beauty and usability is the KDE desktop.

Script.

If any of you can make this script work on other UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD, which is the OS most used by all UNIX users, the entire community will be immensely grateful, and perhaps become standard on all of UNIX OS.

Because in that sense it would be widely publicized, just like Linux, I think there would be more people working on developing UNIX-based operating systems and applications for it.

I am very grateful to everyone and, once again, if something I have written is unclear, please write me so that I may revise the wording.

NOTE: Clearly reading, it is noticeable that this script works with specific directories and it seems to me that other scripts as well, but as its name "suggests", it is the initial script of all configuration that OS DesktopBSD performs at monitor configuration, leading to one impressive autoconfiguration, setting the screen to the resolution that best fits monitor.

Attachments

• .start.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 142
So it makes me leary to even concider DesktopBSD because of there choice of default DT.
Nah, you shouldn't consider DesktopBSD for another and much more important reason, mainly that it has been discontinued 4 years ago and that its core is essentially 9 years old (7.2R or something?), meaning that it has outdated software and an unpatched, unsupported and highly insecure FreeBSD base.
Oh dear, their forum has even been kept online all this time and it seems spammers are having a great time using it for their nefarious business. I wonder why people (the project managers, not the spammers) do that; can't they do Humanity a small service by taking it down?!

Script.

If any of you can make this script work on other UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD
As I've already mentioned above, this last version of DesktopBSD is based on an ancient FreeBSD base and an ancient Xorg. What was it 9 years ago? Xorg 7.4 and xorg-server 1.5.x/1.6.x? Now we're at Xorg 7.7 and xorg-server 1.18.x. Since then a lot of work has been done on drivers both on the Xorg side and on the FreeBSD side. You simply can't compare the two. Also, you haven't clearly mentioned if you're actually using FreeBSD and which version you're using.
The script doesn't seem to do anything magical, that is (still) relevant today, that is not already being done, and that is not mentioned in the Handbook.
Provided you're using one of the latest FreeBSD versions with an up to date Xorg and you're letting it configure on its own, what you're experiencing is more likely due to a regression that crept in somewhere during the past decade.

Nah, you shouldn't consider DesktopBSD for another and much more important reason, mainly that it has been discontinued 4 years ago and that its core is essentially 9 years old (7.2R or something?), meaning that it has outdated software and an unpatched, unsupported and highly insecure FreeBSD base.
Oh dear, their forum has even been kept online all this time and it seems spammers are having a great time using it for their nefarious business. I wonder why people (the project managers, not the spammers) do that; can't they do Humanity a small service by taking it down?!

As I've already mentioned above, this last version of DesktopBSD is based on an ancient FreeBSD base and an ancient Xorg. What was it 9 years ago? Xorg 7.4 and xorg-server 1.5.x/1.6.x? Now we're at Xorg 7.7 and xorg-server 1.18.x. Since then a lot of work has been done on drivers both on the Xorg side and on the FreeBSD side. You simply can't compare the two. Also, you haven't clearly mentioned if you're actually using FreeBSD and which version you're using.
The script doesn't seem to do anything magical, that is (still) relevant today, that is not already being done, and that is not mentioned in the Handbook.
Provided you're using one of the latest FreeBSD versions with an up to date Xorg and you're letting it configure on its own, what you're experiencing is more likely due to a regression that crept in somewhere during the past decade.

In fact, you didn't understand the core of the subject, or questioning.
I know it is a discontinued system, I wrote this above, read carefully about, and you know about what I question, the title is enclosed in quotation marks.

You don't need anything from that script. It still stems from a time when Xorg didn't quite autodetect everything. It's pretty much obsolete now.
I don't know how that script works, but since Xorg doesn't detect anything (in my experience) when using a KVM, something certainly would be nice to have.

You don't need anything from that script. It still stems from a time when Xorg didn't quite autodetect everything. It's pretty much obsolete now.

At present it is still wonderful how it detects the DesktopBSD that this discontinued years. The good thing should be copied from that script to the FreeBSD graphical environment and not be so cumbersome its configuration by hand.

At present it is still wonderful how it detects the DesktopBSD that this discontinued years. The good thing should be copied from that script to the FreeBSD graphical environment and not be so cumbersome its configuration by hand.
Hello everyone, I believe very much that the developers of this script, along with the developers of programs for FreeBSD, could easily work on top of this, as our friend Teo mentioned in his comment, would make it much easier.
It would be wonderful if some user who develops programs for FreeBSD, and develops scripts in this language, try to somehow make this script work, (remembering that this does not work alone), I am absolutely sure that everyone would benefit .
Everything or possible that can become practical, would help without doubts in the propagation of UNIX based systems, this system that in my user experience; I found it surprising.

If you are aware of the forums, you will see about.
I would not have the basis to write in this forum something not compatible.

The problem with scripts like this is you don't learn anything; you just run the script and hope you have a working system at the end of it. If it doesn't work, you are lost. On bare metal (my desktop PC), xorg auto-configures everything and it just works. It isn't difficult to set FreeBSD up as a desktop, you just need to take your time and do one step at a time, making sure each step works before you do the next.

The problem with scripts like this is you don't learn anything; you just run the script and hope you have a working system at the end of it. If it doesn't work, you are lost.
That is exactly the problem with the Xorg auto-configure as I see it. My thought is that it would be nice to save time by having something that could auto-configure where Xorg fails - which it always does for me.

something that could auto-configure where Xorg fails - which it always does for me.

I used to have many problems with xorg.conf about 8 years ago when I had to faff about with monitor refresh timings (I have had about 10 monitors and not one provided me with the correct information to put here. Luckily edid started to become popular and I can pretend that mess never happened).

For configuration nowadays, the most I tend to do is either run ( # Xorg -configure, yes.. let that sucker crash) or nvidia's # nvidia-setup if using an nvidia card. Then I pick out the peices (mostly section names) that I need from them and put them into /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. I then delete the generated xorg.conf file.
What is handy about this is that depending on the driver, it automatically fills out the Options, leaves them commented out so you can simply enable the ones you need.

... and then I leave it alone for ever. I try to do as much as I can then with things like xrandr, xset, setxkbmap, etc.

I used to have many problems with xorg.conf about 8 years ago when I had to faff about with monitor refresh timings (I have had about 10 monitors and not one provided me with the correct information to put here. Luckily edid started to become popular and I can pretend that mess never happened).

For configuration nowadays, the most I tend to do is either run ( # Xorg -configure, yes.. let that sucker crash) or nvidia's # nvidia-setup if using an nvidia card. Then I pick out the peices (mostly section names) that I need from them and put them into /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. I then delete the generated xorg.conf file.
What is handy about this is that depending on the driver, it automatically fills out the Options, leaves them commented out so you can simply enable the ones you need.

... and then I leave it alone for ever. I try to do as much as I can then with things like xrandr, xset, setxkbmap, etc.
You show these steps that runs without errors and crashes to a "auto-configuration of Xorg " in video, and send us this tutorial?

Because all, all the tutorials, relying firstly on the FreeBSD itself, and those of the forums like these, never worked.

In fact, not there is a auto-configuration, as everyone knows, everything must be edited in xorg file and by commands in a terminal.

I myself, I never managed to reach the maximum resolution of my monitor.

I know that the same ones who write, like OJ and Geezer, as well as thousands of users worldwide, have the same problem, for this reason I found interesting how these DesktopBSD scripts work, these yes, auto-configuram the resolution of the Monitors without Any configuration made by hand.

Besides being obnoxious, you are also seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that your script doesn't do any resolution detection. It only runs the same Xorg -configure command and a few predefined fallback configs. If some of these configs accidentally happen to contain settings you consider correct for your system, that does not mean they will work for the "thousands of users".

Xorg does not normally need configuration at all. I run my desktop system with an Intel HD630 on-cpu video and a 4k (3440x1440) monitor and it does not need a single configuration file. I realize many people run laptops and other configurations which do need configuration.

FreeBSD is not designed to be a desktop system although it certainly has the capability, with configuration. Most of the use FreeBSD gets is in servers, which do not need configuration at all in terms of video.

Back