Do we still have Ryzen woes?

I would like to install FBSD 11.2 on a budget Asrock B450-HDV motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G cpu.
After considerable research online I come away with a feeling that Ryzen implementation went through major teething problems, making installation problematic with earlier iterations of the OS.

Before I commit to purchasing related hardware could you tell me if an installation with Ryzen is now mostly trouble free. I would definitely want to utilize the vega apu feature & thereby successfully achieve a desktop GUI.

I am not a guru with any form of unix but want to use this installation as a learning experience to launch from.

If you have any comments or you're aware of any reasonably detailed resources online that could help me achieve the above (particularly theGUI) I would be most grateful.

Thank you for any help

My information could be outdated so do confirmation yourself. Even on Linux, Ryzen still has many problems. People recommended to use latest kernel and mesa. Some said Ubuntu since 18.04 has rock solid support for it. But many still found problems. I don't own it myself, though.

The big question here is not the base OS (kernel and command-line stuff), but the graphics support. When reading people's reports of experiences (good and bad), segregate them whether they are doing a desktop/workstation (with GUI) or a server (without).

I'm planning a couple builds that will run FreeBSD, one with a Ryzen7 3700X and another with a Ryzen5 3400G. So I'm interested in support for that stuff as well.

The first one is for a home desktop system and will have a graphics card, probably nVidia. Second one is to try using FreeBSD for an HTPC. Hopefully by the time I put it together support for the on-chip Vega 11 graphics will be trouble free.

I have a 1700 and RTX 2070, and I have been running just fine on a 13-CURRENT build from a few weeks ago. I do see some periodic freezes (once every few days), but there doesn't seem to be any logging to indicate why.
Big thing for me - 13-CURRENT does not experience an issue I would see weekly on Linux. This issue consisted of my system powering off improperly and causing my machine to be inoperable until I removed the CMOS battery. Modern marvel that switching to FreeBSD fixed this.

But yes, any IGP (Like the 2200G you posted) is going to have bad performance in general. 2200G specifically released with a lot of issues, even on Windows.
I was getting very slow kernel compilation time, but that might just be because I am underestimating how long it takes to build the base file system, even on a 8c/16t system.

Ryzen works just fine here:
Code:
tingo@kg-core2$ sysctl hw.model
hw.model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor           
tingo@kg-core2$ uname -a
FreeBSD kg-core2.kg4.no 11.3-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p1 #0: Tue Jul 23 18:21:16 UTC 2019     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
graphics card isn't vega
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:7:0:0:    class=0x030000 card=0x80991462 chip=0x677b1002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
It works mostly fine (there is a weird bug were sometimes colors are wrong after the monitor comes out of standby).

Hi I'm considering a new AMD computer running a Ryzen apu processor. Before I commit to hardware I would like to know if you were successful in achieving a desktop GUI with an available apu capability. If so what hardware combination did you use?

If you have other thoughts on the subject I would be glad to here them, particularly if you used a Ryzen video card as an option to an apu cpu processor, and if there are certain hardware options that you would avoid.

Thanks for any help

Interested to hear what users have to say as well. The next computer I build for desktop use could be Ryzen based if FreeBSD plays nicely with it. It's my understanding that Bhyve compatibility wasn't the greatest on Ryzen CPUs.

I've got a Ryzen 3600 and it works fine. Apart from an issue with the amdcore temperatures not reporting correctly, which I raised and has already been fixed :) (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=239607)

Note this box is primarily a headless server, so I don't have any comment around VGA support etc as it doesn't impact me. I've got a rather ancient ATI 4350 in there for the occasional time I need to log onto it heh.

Code:
% uname -a
FreeBSD dutch 12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE #2 r350624M: Wed Aug  7 08:43:02 AEST 2019     root@dutch:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64

% sysctl hw.model
hw.model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

% sudo dmidecode -t processor

<snip> 
        Version: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
        Voltage: 1.1 V
        External Clock: 100 MHz
        Max Speed: 4200 MHz
        Current Speed: 3600 MHz
        Upgrade: Socket AM4
        L1 Cache Handle: 0x0012
        L2 Cache Handle: 0x0013
        L3 Cache Handle: 0x0014
        Serial Number: Unknown
        Asset Tag: Unknown
        Part Number: Unknown
        Core Count: 6
        Core Enabled: 6
        Thread Count: 12
        Characteristics:

% pciconf -lv

<snip>

vgapci0@pci0:38:0:0:    class=0x030000 card=0x02a41043 chip=0x954f1002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    device     = 'RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
hdac0@pci0:38:0:1:      class=0x040300 card=0xaa381043 chip=0xaa381002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    device     = 'RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = HDA

I don't have a Ryzen, but the AMD graphics on the APU capability works well on mine. Mine is Kaveri. So long as the video architecture is supported, that should work. It doesn't matter if it's as a card or in the APU, the driver treats it the same. It just takes extra setup in installing ports, and configuring files to get AMD graphics to work.

I need to assemble a new everyday system as well as a new "muscle" system, and would prefer to use Ryzen hardware (but Nvidia video) for performance, cost, and to support AMD. But what I seem to be reading here is that there are still significant integration problems of some kind(s). True?

would prefer to use Ryzen hardware (but Nvidia video) for performance, cost, and to support AMD. But what I seem to be reading here is that there are still significant integration problems of some kind(s). True?

Wtf are you reading? I've yet to see here a single complaint not related to APUs or PCI passthrough. Both are niche topics.

Wtf are you reading? I've yet to see here a single complaint not related to APUs or PCI passthrough. Both are niche topics.
Well, you can't think that calling them "niche topics" makes the problems go away, so what's the point? Problems are problems.

Well, you can't think that calling them "niche topics" makes the problems go away, so what's the point?

The point is that not everyone needs this functionality. For example, you obviously do not. APUs are completely irrelevant if you intend to use Nvidia GPU and you won't be asking generic questions if you were seriously interested in using bhyve.

Well, you can't think that calling them "niche topics" makes the problems go away, so what's the point?
When you walk into a bakery you will notice all the customers are ordering bread related products. If you walk into a butcher you'll notice all customers ordering meat products. You are on a support forum. You're bound to only see problems. People that don't have issues generally don't post their success stories.

Searching for problems is very likely to result in a skewed or warped view. Watch out for that.

You are on a support forum. You're bound to only see problems. People that don't have issues generally don't post their success stories.
I agree, of course. I was trying, perhaps clumsily, to discover whether the reports in the thread are just the tip of an iceberg. My experience, over the years, is that problems in one subsystem often imply problems elsewhere too that just haven't come to light yet. I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone.

If the driver for the graphics chipset is available, and if the Ryzen CPU works for the available architectures, then it should just work. I know that graphics drivers works (treating the graphics card the same as the graphics on an APU). Of course, some will still insist there's a problem.

For the CPU architecture, I've seen others say it works before. Look to see if the specific Ryzen model works.
I've got a Ryzen 3600 and it works fine.
Look on the FreeBSD wiki if the graphics chipset driver is available. If the graphics chipset is listed as it works on https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/AMD-GPU-Matrix, then the graphics should just work, whether or not the graphics is on the APU or on a graphics card. For a non-graphical or console desktops, the VESA driver is also expected to work well enough.

I was using a Ryzen 1600 for FreeBSD last year and had 0 issues with it. I was quite pleased. I didn't try FreeBSD + bhyve + Ryzen though, and I've heard there are some hit and miss issues there

I have a cheap test server I threw together from a low-cost Gigabyte B450 board and a Ryzen 2400G. I don't run a GUI on it, but it seems to run fine. I had two spare 120 gig SSDs I threw in the box and striped them with ZFS. I have not tried X and I have not tried NVMe. I'm running FreeBSD 13 Current.

In summary, the question whether the Vega graphics unit is properly supported using Ryzen APUs has not yet been answered.

Back