Solved Will wireless devices emit radiation in full power when no driver?

Youtube? High-voltage? (What does that even mean?)
I mean radiation have different influences to different individuals, if one really feels bad, like headache, and makes sure of the reason (by simple objective comparison), I think it's truer than what the offical side says.

Did you just offer a link to a chinese-english dictionary as a proof?
I can't visit Youtube now, it's blocked, the saved link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnJe-eXnBBI

Regarding Taiwan, I would be more concerned about air quality or potential mercury poisoning (seafood).
o_O

I mean radiation have different influences to different individuals, if one really feels bad, like headache, and makes sure of the reason ...

Not all EMF radiation is created equal. So, the power line above your head at 300kV (or whatever it is) - has mostly a molecular-mechanical effect on your brain because of its low frequency (long wavelength). As frequency increases (i.e., wavelength decreases) - the effects change. At very high frequencies (shortest wavelengths) - the effects are both molecular-mechanical and quantum. At the highest frequency (gamma rays / cosmic rays) - quantum effects break the molecules in your head apart, and cause ionization. Technically, molecular-mechanical action could be called quantum effect, but in a different way (everything is quantum at some point).

Microwaves are in-between the two extremes (power line versus gamma). My personal opinion (which is not generally in agreement with many physicists) - is that quantum and sub-quantum effects are already in play at the GHz levels of cell/smart phones, but those effects are much less dense, and also are random and very hard to analyze.

My personal opinion (which is not generally in agreement with many physicists) - is that quantum and sub-quantum effects are already in play at the GHz levels of cell/smart phones, but those effects are much less dense, and also are random and very hard to analyze.
It should not be a matter of opinion. Either you have data that show or hint toward a conclusion or you have not. There is not doubt that microwave can have physical effects : this is the working principle of microwave ovens. The question is more about the acceptable limits in the power and duration of the exposure to microwaves. I would not put my head in a microwave oven (f~1-2GHz, P~1000W), but I have no fear in doing a phone call (f~1GHz, P~1W).

By the way, what do you mean by sub-quantum effect? I am not familiar with this term. Also, I would be surprised to find scientists that do not think that quantum effects are already in play at the GHz level: to my knowledge interactions between light and matter can only be dealt with properly using quantum mechanics (quantum electrodynamics). However, I am not sure what you meant by that so I may have misinterpreted your statement.

Headache and tiredness is real. Other things involve quantum mechanic I've no idea about.

By the way, what do you mean by sub-quantum effect?

Sub Quantum theory (SQPR) - is promoted by few (maybe only one) physicist. But - the SQPR has a different meaning than what I imply when I use the term. The idea is that there are no "particles" - only force waves - and there are more forces (waves) at deeper levels of the onion than what QM currently broadly accepts.

When I refer to quantum effects at 2.x or 5.x GHz, I'm not referring to any damaging ionization effects. Sorry for that - I switched gears on you.

The aluminum (or copper or other alloy) of the smart phone's antenna does not emit much energy at the discrete levels known in chemistry relative to orbitals and electron transitions (molecular chemistry). Instead, most metals emit photons in tiny burps that have much less energy than what's needed in molecular chemistry (quantum leaps). There are a couple different physical explanations for this, including a concept known as tunneling.

The burps are so small such that the photon energy level progression is almost linear, in step with how energies at various frequencies are proportional to wavelength. The important thing is that - IMO - these very low energy photons can have an effect on whole atoms even while the energy is well below any transitional energy threshold. IMO, the effect would not be damaging like ionization, but might affect brain quantum processes in terms of the actual processing (the brain is just a quantum computer, with wholesale quantum communications going on). Medicine is just starting to notice this.

The nice thing about this forum is that the average member is quite sophisticated. On most other forums, these kinds of posts would get nothing but a troll's attention. Says something good about the community.

About the opinions - yeah, everything I say is an opinion. I have very little formal training in these matters. While a formally trained physicist will have training at a high level, such a person also tends to get an equal amount of indoctrination. So, it's good to listen to the pseudo physicists some of the time.

Yeah, I was already working on an intervention post. I do like the civil discussion about EMF and its effects on the human body. I'm not going to discount any adverse side effects, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence from real people with real problems. But I'm going to have to pull the plug on that. Lets keep the discussion about a device being physically active or not when it's not configured on FreeBSD.

I was actually interested in that discussion, but in any case it's probably a good idea to keep transmitters off when not necessary. We're really surrounded by the high frequency stuff these days. The lower frequency stuff I wouldn't worry about so much unless the intensity is unusually high.

The bluetooth device is usb, not pci. So if you post the output of usbconfig, we should be able to power it down as well.
Code:
# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x046a product 0x0011> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.3: <Logitech G PRO Gaming Mouse> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (300mA)
ugen0.4: <vendor 0x04ca product 0x3015> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.5: <Chicony Electronics Co.,Ltd. HD WebCam> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

Any way to check the power status of Wifi and Bluetooth?

It is either ugen0.2 or ugen0.4. Not sure.. (sorry)

To power it down, a command like /usr/sbin/usbconfig ugen0.2 power_off should do. You could add that command to the /etc/rc.conf file.

It is either ugen0.2 or ugen0.4. Not sure.. (sorry)

To power it down, a command like /usr/sbin/usbconfig ugen0.2 power_off should do. You could add that command to the /etc/rc.conf file.
ugen0.2 powered off keyboard, it might be ugen0.4, powered off successfully. How to check the power status of WIFI and Bluetooth?

the brain is just a quantum computer, with wholesale quantum communications going on

Some brains are perhaps. Mine is a lame vanilla Cyrix 486. Slightly slower than the AMD and Intel counterparts in floating point arithmetic.

Just power down all devices that have no driver attached. No power consumption, no electricity, no radiation.

echo "hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3" >> /boot/loader.conf

My Thinkpad has a kill switch but I am still really interested in why this tunable is not more common knowledge. All these years I have been wasting precious power on "superfluous cruft" that doesn't even deserve a driver. I will add this to my odd collection of personal power reduction tips. Thanks!

Some brains are perhaps. Mine is a lame vanilla Cyrix 486. Slightly slower than the AMD and Intel counterparts in floating point arithmetic.
My brain resembles a spaghetti computer.
My Thinkpad has a kill switch but I am still really interested in why this tunable is not more common knowledge. All these years I have been wasting precious power on "superfluous cruft" that doesn't even deserve a driver. I will add this to my odd collection of personal power reduction tips. Thanks!
Actually I think it might be a good idea to add a section “Power Saving” (or similar) to the tuning(7) manual page, or even create a separate manual page for this purpose. It should mention sysctls like hw.pci.do_power_nodriver, the usbconfig power_off command, the powerd(8) service and how to configure it, the appropriate rc.conf settings such as the *_cpu_freq and *_cx_lowest ones, etc.

Yeah, I was already working on an intervention post. I do like the civil discussion about EMF and its effects on the human body. I'm not going to discount any adverse side effects, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence from real people with real problems. But I'm going to have to pull the plug on that. Lets keep the discussion about a device being physically active or not when it's not configured on FreeBSD.
I agree. I think the discussion of physiological effects of electromagnetic radiation should be left to experts; this thread already demonstrates that there are a lot of people with no knowledge of basic physics but strange opinions. And I find it quite dangerous to base decisions about how to run a computer on opinions that are not grounded in science.

If someone wants to turn hardware components of to save battery: more power to them (<- intentional pun).

I agree. I think the discussion of physiological effects of electromagnetic radiation should be left to experts; this thread already demonstrates that there are a lot of people with no knowledge of basic physics but strange opinions.
As currently no branch of science can seriously deliver on how the mind works, any further-reaching and more esoteric ideas are perfectly welcome on that matter. Although this might be the wrong forum to unfold them.

In any case, there are also people with "some" knowledge of basic physics who entertain certain ideas about sub-quantum-whatever phenomena in the mind - name David Bohm, Jack Sarfatti, etc.

Good point. However, I do believe that many laptops have a physical switch (on the side, usually) for turning off the wifi.
You're kidding me. HAHA! I thought that was for the IR receiver! It works now. Thank You

Back