installing bind 9.14.3

hi
recently i installed bind 9.14.3 on freebsd 11
i wanna use this as a local dns server and forward another queries to the internet.
i've just installed bind with PKG command and when i looked at /var there is no named directory for creating zone and it installed on /usr/local/etc/namedb. is it ok ?
right now when i set dns on my windows 8 client it works but not for local dns just openning web pages out of my network.

I just installed bind with pkg(8) command and when I looked at /var there is no named directory for creating zone and it installed on /usr/local/etc/namedb. Is it ok ?
Yes. The /var/named/* is only created when you run BIND in a chroot configuration (it's off by default).

Code:
# named_chrootdir (str):            Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)
#                                   Historically, was /var/named
# named_chroot_autoupdate (bool):   Automatically install/update chrooted
#                                   components of named.

Yes. The /var/named/* is only created when you run BIND in a chroot configuration (it's off by default).

Code:
# named_chrootdir (str):            Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)
#                                   Historically, was /var/named
# named_chroot_autoupdate (bool):   Automatically install/update chrooted
#                                   components of named.

so is it necessary to do this ?
i just wanna use this as dns local server and forwarding anything else to the internet.
if it's ok with default installation how should i make my zone files ?

Why do you think it matters? Just create them in /usr/local/etc/namedb/{master,dynamic}.

i wanna use this as a local dns server and forward another queries to the internet.

The unbound that is in base does that. It listens on localhost:53. If you want to offer DNS in other, public,
IP, you can install nsd.

If it's ok with default installation how should I make my zone files?

Why not /etc/hosts?

Or perhaps nsd as forwarder to unbound? Never tried it.

There's no mention of any major configuration changes. No mention of doing things completely different either. So why do you think the version difference matters?

i read the article till how to setup and configure named.conf file but the problem is i don't know how to make master file zone and reverse one....
does it need because i wanna just add records via my local network

Why don't you start with something "simpler"? Setting up BIND isn't easy and requires quite a bit of knowledge of DNS. I would suggest you try local-unbound(8) first. There's no need to install anything, it comes with the OS. Another "easy" to use DNS (and DHCP) is dns/dnsmasq. It's relatively easy to set up, at least compared to BIND.

Perhaps adding entries to /etc/hosts would be a better fit for you. Or you could give dnsmasq(8) a try. I never used it but I believe it's a very simple DNS server for small (home) networks.

Why don't you start with something "simpler"? Setting up BIND isn't easy and requires quite a bit of knowledge of DNS. I would suggest you try local-unbound(8) first. There's no need to install anything, it comes with the OS. Another "easy" to use DNS (and DHCP) is dns/dnsmasq. It's relatively easy to set up, at least compared to BIND.
I get it .
I'm not a beginner in Linux or maybe DNS, I was a Microsoft admin before but work with Linux for fun or just knowing and I just wanna want to start to be more useful in this part so.
I found an article here and use this for creating zones.
So first I tried to test on virtual environment after that implementing.

Excellent! That looks like a good article to get you started. When I took MCSA classes I learned about DNS and stuff, but it wasn't until I took some Linux classes (e.g. BIND) that I really learned how DNS on a protocol level works. That knowledge makes you that much better of an admin (is this a correct English sentence)? The same goes for Cisco courses. There you really learn how networking (and related protocols) work.

Welcome to Linux/BSD and enjoy the experience. You will learn more than you can imagine.

Excellent! That looks like a good article to get you started. When I took MCSA classes I learned about DNS and stuff, but it wasn't until I took some Linux classes (e.g. BIND) that I really learned how DNS on a protocol level works. That knowledge makes you that much better of an admin (is this a correct English sentence)? The same goes for Cisco courses. There you really learn how networking (and related protocols) work.

Welcome to Linux/BSD and enjoy the experience. You will learn more than you can imagine.

thanks buddy
i wish u best

is it ok that i said " i have a dns server with hostname like a.local, and i have a zone inside my bind server such as b.com"?
so my problem is when i wanna configure my forward zone files what should i type as a SOA record?
or can i write a nameserver in my forward zone with diffrent domain?

i have a dns server with hostname like a.local, and i have a zone inside my bind server such as b.com"?
Yes, they are not related or relevant.

or can i write a nameserver in my forward zone with diffrent domain?

Why don't you start with something "simpler"?

I think unbound and nsd could be simpler than bind

The config file /etc/unbound/unbound.conf for unbound may be something like:

server:
ip-address: 127.0.0.1
qname-minimisation: yes
auto-trust-anchor-file: "/var/lib/unbound/root.key"
# logfile: "/var/tmp/unbound.log"
# verbosity: 4
## Get from: http://www.internic.net/domain/named.root
root-hints: "/etc/unbound/named.root"
do-ip6: no
# do-tcp: yes

The config file /usr/local/etc/nsd/nsd.conf for nsd:

server:
ip-address: your-public--IP
do-ip6: no
identity: domain.tld
hide-version: yes
database: "" # or use /var/db/nsd/nsd.db
# zonelistfile: "/var/db/nsd/zone.list"
# logfile: "/var/tmp/nsd.log"
# verbosity: 4

zone:
name: domain.tld
zonefile: /etc/nsd/zone.domain.tld

And the zone file /etc/nsd/zone.domain.tld is quite typical.

If some DNS points to your nsd as authoritative, then unbound will get also what you make public
with nsd , but through internet, not locally. All this is simple.

The question is, how to get it work locally, offline, not through the internet. I think you can make nsd listen on localhost,
but on other port than 53, and then use the "Forward Zone Options". See man unbound.conf. I did
not try it. Just try and tell us.

I think unbound and nsd could be simpler than bind

The config file /etc/unbound/unbound.conf for unbound may be something like:

The config file /usr/local/etc/nsd/nsd.conf for nsd:

And the zone file /etc/nsd/zone.domain.tld is quite typical.

If some DNS points to your nsd as authoritative, then unbound will get also what you make public
with nsd , but through internet, not locally. All this is simple.

The question is, how to get it work locally, offline, not through the internet. I think you can make nsd listen on localhost,
but on other port than 53, and then use the "Forward Zone Options". See man unbound.conf. I did
not try it. Just try and tell us.

dude, it's not about a simple thing, I should install a DNS server for my company and configure it for using some records inside and query our public ip or maybe forward it outside

Back