Can't use Realtek usb to ethernet card on usb hub to connect to internet on FreeBSD

Hi,
I just joined the forum here after installing BSD, the actual process and everything went fine.
But I'm absolutely unable to get anywhere with getting internet through my usb dongle.
I've tried a veriety of things, listed below (all with no luck, under root):

Adding if_cdee_load="YES" , if_re_load="YES", if_rue_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (read somewhere that they may be needed).

Using ifconfig -a to find the device and then dhclient blahblahblah to set it up

Using dmesg to get information on the device

ping google.com to make sure the internet isn't working (I get host name lookup failure)

Unplug and replug hub before using dhclient again

Trying usbconfig to get info on usb device

Tried usbconfig -d X.Y set_config 1 from https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-June/042396.html
For more info on this one I think I've entered my X.Y wrong, as now in ifconfig one less entry appears (which I believe was the usb to ethernet adapters one)

Also on startup I did get a message before:
ure0 on uhub 2
ure0: <Realtek USB 10/100/1000 LAN, class 0/0. rev 3.00/30.00. addr 8> on usbus0
miibus1: <MII bus> on ure0
rgephy1: <RTL8251/8153 1000BASE-T media interface> PHY0 on miibus1
rgephy1: none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 1000baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto

Although the last 2-3 there may be because off a bluetooth error (I can't tell, but there is one later on at startup, however I don't even use bluetooth so I don't care much if it's not working).

Thanks for any help/support, I really appreciate it!

Adding if_cdee_load="YES" , if_re_load="YES", if_rue_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (read somewhere that they may be needed).
I'm not sure where you got if_cdee from, it doesn't seem to exist. Adding if_re shouldn't be needed, it's already in GENERIC by default. But it's a driver for PCI/PCIe cards. if_rue(4) is a different Realtek chipset. Looking at the log output you posted, you need if_ure(4).

Although the last 2-3 there may be because off a bluetooth error
No they're part of if_ure(4). A lot of network card drivers in FreeBSD make use of an abstraction layer called miibus(4), this avoids a lot of code duplication if every network driver had to do on its own.

As Elazar already noted, please post the output of ifconfig. Please also post the output of uname -a so we know what version you have.

I'm not sure where you got if_cdee from, it doesn't seem to exist. Adding if_re shouldn't be needed, it's already in GENERIC by default. But it's a driver for PCI/PCIe cards. if_rue(4) is a different Realtek chipset. Looking at the log output you posted, you need if_ure(4).

No they're part of if_ure(4). A lot of network card drivers in FreeBSD make use of an abstraction layer called miibus(4), this avoids a lot of code duplication if every network driver had to do on its own.

As Elazar already noted, please post the output of ifconfig. Please also post the output of uname -a so we know what version you have.
ifconfig Output:

uname -a Output:
FreeBSD MyPC 12.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd64

ping google.com to make sure the internet isn't working (I get host name lookup failure)
Ping an IP address first, preferably your default gateway. Then a device behind your default gateway. A name lookup failure indicates a problem with DNS, not with your network card or your IP configuration.

Please do some basic troubleshooting as above and include the output of these steps, including your configuration and output of ifconfig or other useful commands and files, e.g. /etc/resolv.conf.

Your ifconfig output shows
Code:
re0: flags=...

ue0: flags=...

My guess is that /etc/rc.conf needs these lines:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ue0="DHCP"
Then do service netif restart to test the settings.

I've tried this multiple times, with no luck.
Here's the output off doing it:

I can't actually ping them:
If I try and ping my default gateway, 192.168.1.1 I get sendto: No route to host

The output of netstat -r:

The output of ifconfig:

The output of dhclient ue0:
ue0: no link .............. giving up

The output of /etc/resolv.conf

No amount of configuration is going to change "no carrier". If there's really a good cable connected then the network card or the driver isn't detecting a signal. Without a carrier signal it will be useless to try to configure it.

No amount of configuration is going to change "no carrier". If there's really a good cable connected then the network card or the driver isn't detecting a signal. Without a carrier signal it will be useless to try to configure it.
So what I'm confused about is where FreeBSD is going wrong then.
Because there is a cable with a good connection which my arch linux install can use, so is it the driver then?

Realtek has a tendency to change their hardware without changing the identification. So the card may be correctly detected but not configured correctly because it's a slightly different design.

Realtek has a tendency to change their hardware without changing the identification. So the card may be correctly detected but not configured correctly because it's a slightly different design.
I keep getting this error message btw:
ure0: timeout waiting for chip autoload

So what should I do now?

This is because the firmware is not loaded. Add the two settings above and report back.
Ok, I've just tried, now the above error isn't coming up but is still shows the same ifconfig results, as shown here:

Thanks for the help, I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere with this now

EDIT: here is the output of [cnd]dmesg -a[/cmd], it may be useful

Back