Other Issue with windowmaker

Hi, I have been wanting to use windowmaker on my netbook but it seems to be very broken.

I cannot get the config for it to work, I recreated the issue in a VM so that I could share a screenshot..

I am really eager to use wm from all i've seen and heard, it seems perfect for me. I really hope it is not just forgotten and broken like a lot of wms

Attachments

• wm.png
    wm.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 547
Check if it's pointing at /usr/local/GNUstep/Applications/WPrefs.app/WPrefs. Windowmaker itself seems to be working fine.

Check if it's pointing at /usr/local/GNUstep/Applications/WPrefs.app/WPrefs. Windowmaker itself seems to be working fine.

How can I check this? by the way... is there no way to make things render over the launcher icons for windowmaker it is quite disruptive when web browsing

How can I check this?
Can't see how you're trying to start WPrefs. My guess is from the dock? Then rightclick, and click on settings. You can always start WPrefs from an xterm.
by the way... is there no way to make things render over the launcher icons for windowmaker it is quite disruptive when web browsing
You can edit that in WPrefs :)

i have decided to just stop using it there is too many inexplicable issues.... same with the other wms :/
thanks for help im gonna close thread

Hi, I have been wanting to use windowmaker on my netbook but it seems to be very broken.

I cannot get the config for it to work, I recreated the issue in a VM so that I could share a screenshot..

I am really eager to use wm from all i've seen and heard, it seems perfect for me. I really hope it is not just forgotten and broken like a lot of wms

I get that when I try to use the menu selection to configure, but the icon on the top right will work (on mine, anyway, with a newly installed 12.0 Release and newly compiled wmaker). Try using the icon instead. Once you're into the preferences app, you can change where the menu entry points, so it will work too.

i have been using windowmaker for the last 20 years ;) i had big big issues only in the last months with the super density mac screen :( don't give it up aimeec1995 ! ... it takes a little bit of fight to start, but then it is solid as rock .

I have been using x11-wm/windowmaker on and off for nearly 20 years as well. The only issue I have ever had was the one where the wmprefs application doesn't work from the menu because of an incorrect path, but the icon on the dock does work. Other than that, I have never had an issue with it. It has always been stable and fast. I end up switching away from it because I can never get used to the big icons (or any icons) on the "desktop". Not windowmaker's fault.

For the OP: have you made sure to run wmaker.inst as your user after you install. This copies the configuration to your user's home directory.

The only issue I have ever had was the one where the wmprefs application doesn't work from the menu because of an incorrect path, but the icon on the dock does work.

i always used the icon on the top-right corner for general configs. Only with high resolution screens i got issues.

Running 3440x1440 (34" screen) with no issues. The resolution should have nothing to do with the window manager. Maybe parts are not displayed correctly?

Running 3440x1440 (34" screen) with no issues. The resolution should have nothing to do with the window manager. Maybe parts are not displayed correctly?
the problem comes when you have high resolution and small screen. i have a macbook 13'' (vmware always on). I can give you more detail when i will back home.

Windowmaker running fine here on 11.2 RELEASE, on an old stinkpad.
I'm another one who has happily used it for the last 20-odd years, with very few problems.
Huge respect due to Alfredo Kojima :) and the guys currently maintaining it.

It will be a great shame if increasing screen resolutions means it gets to the point where it becomes unusable. I guess the same might apply to other old favourites like fvwm and afterstep.

Back