pkg install gnome3 not working

Installed FreeBSD 12.0 BETA3. Have network connection able to install generic packages. Anyone know why pkg install gnome3 does not work in recent FreeBSD 12.0 BETA3, it does not even fetch any package, just bails out

Does not work for me too:
Code:
pkg install gnome3
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'gnome3' have been found in the repositories

pkg search gnome3
libproxy-gnome3-0.4.15         GSettings-based configuration plug-in for libproxy
pinentry-gnome3-1.1.0          GNOME 3 version of the GnuPG password dialog

It seems this package is not exist

FreeBSD fBSD 12.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 12.0-BETA3 r340039 GENERIC amd64

Last edited by a moderator:
It might have build failures, or at least one or more of its dependencies might. I've been testing 12.0 for some time now and I know some ports still fail to build properly on my repository server. Most of the issues I had have been resolved now but it appears there are some ports still giving issues. Normally I'd post a link to the logs of the official build servers but it's been down for quite some time. That was the easiest way to check.

Unfortunately, this works not for me.
After i reboot the notebook the GUI is not started and the terminal prompt is showing.

I have installed the OS and run 'pkg install xorg'. Next i have run the 'startx' command but it ends with an error.
I have checked the log and can find the line in which stands that no display device can be find.
Next i have run the 'xrandr' command to let me show the available displays. The output: Can't open display.

I have installed the FreeBSD on an Dell Latitude Notebook.
What have i to do now? Is it right that every thing is ok but only the GUI can not be open because of there is no display connected?

I have installed the OS and run 'pkg install xorg'. Next i have run the 'startx' command but it ends with an error. I have checked the log and can find the line in which stands that no display device can be find.
Which begs the question, what hardware do you have? Specifically, what graphics card?

Next I have run the 'xrandr' command to let me show the available displays. The output: Can't open display.
It's no use trying to build a house if the foundation is missing. X needs to be configured and working before you can move to the next steps.

I already checked this page and try to compile but i received this:

requires kernel source files in /usr/src

What do you think? Could you please explain?
You do not mean to compile, but to install with the pkg?

But what? ^^
What are the names of the required packages?

In this case it's fairly obvious: pkg install nvidia-driver-340 and even pkg install x11/nvidia-driver-340 should work.

Now, I don't always remember what a package is called (I'm getting old) and some package names aren't so straight forward, so pkg-search(8) is also quite useful:
pkg search nvidia

Alright, thank you.
I have installed the package (have became an 'cannot install Package: Kernel Missing Linux support -> fixed by kldload linux) but:
have run the 'xrandr' command to let me show the available displays. The output: Can't open display.

This is currently the output. I already have reboot the notebook.

I have no files in the folder '/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/' so i can even not configure a file.
Hello. Installation of Nvidia drivers is very easy. You can check this thread. I would also recommend installing nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig pkg install nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
When you install these programs, as root run nvidia-xconfig. It automatically manipulate X configuration files for the NVIDIA driver. More info here. Now reboot and enjoy.

It still does not work.:
I did that:

pkg install xorg gnome-desktop gdm

ftsab edited:
Code:
proc / proc procfs rw 0 0

edited rc.conf
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

Then I installed the Nvidia driver:
pkg install nvidia-driver-340

Then create the file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf and enter the following:
Code:
Section "Device"
         Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
         VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
         Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Even after a reboot, the graphical interface is not loaded.

According to man xorg.conf.d the config. files need to end with the .conf suffix, so you could try this:

Code:
mv /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf
shutdown -r now

My mistake. I have named this slready right but posted this here in this topic wrong.
I have edti my post.

Back