FreeBSD GUI

Your VESA message is about a video driver. Your ntpd message reflects your internet down issue. if it said ""DHCP Lease Acquisition failed" you have a connection problem where FreeBSD can't even establish a connection for starts. I recommend finding out where the internet problems lies first.

Running ifconfig will show you the NIC ID. Mine is em0:

Code:
$ ifconfig
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
    ether 00:1c:25:98:39:22
    hwaddr 00:1c:25:98:39:22
    inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
    options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    groups: lo
pflog0: flags=141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33160
    groups: pflog
Hi
Running ifconfig shows NIC id as: em0.

Thanks
Ravi

You should not have to fill in anything for DHCP connections. They are all passed to your computer from the upstream DHCP server. Adding wrong things here during Memstick Installation will break networking.
If you need a static IP then that is fine, but DHCP will issue a IP if you have a properly setup DHCP server.
So from that message it sounds like your network interface was found during installation but while trying to get a IP lease it failed.
I would start at your upstream DHCP server and make sure you have it set up right. Perhaps you are using a router to connect to?
Please tell us what upstream device you are connecting to. A switch/router or straight to your providers modem.

Hi
I am using a Router!
Thanks
Ravi

Far be it from me to engage in shameless self-promotion, but I do have a Beginners Tutorial here that you might find useful in some areas. It uses ports but you can substitute pkg for ports and still follow the general outline. You'll need to study pkg yourself.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...-set-up-a-freebsd-desktop-from-scratch.61659/
Hi

I followed your link above, but my DHCP lease acquisition failed. What can i do now? Should I bypass network configuration and continue with rest of installation?
Thanks
Ravi

Have you got internet connection with other computers? If not, I'd make fixing that a priority.

You can install FreeBSD but you won't be able to update or pull packages for 3rd party programs without internet.

Does your motherboard have more than one ethernet jack? If so, maybe you are using the wrong jack.
Secondly check your router and make sure the cable connected to your FreeBSD machine has LEDs showing on the router.
Checking for a bad cable.

If not this you may have to visit the Web Administration page of your router. Perhaps it is not setup the way you think.

Does your motherboard have more than one ethernet jack? If so, maybe you are using the wrong jack.
Secondly check your router and make sure the cable connected to your FreeBSD machine has LEDs showing on the router.
Checking for a bad cable.

If not this you may have to visit the Web Administration page of your router. Perhaps it is not setup the way you think.
Hi
My motherboard has only one ethernet jack. When connected to my FreeBSD machine Green LED blinks on my router i.e. WLAN. The LAN Cable is fine, I am using same cable on a MS Windows XP machine to write you this message, although sometimes it takes Automatic Private Address, but acquires DHCP IP after several reboots.

I am pasting/attaching screenshot of Web Administration page of my router as below, what exactly do you want me setup in it?

1543133916342.png

1543135749280.png

Attachments

• Status - Router.png
    Status - Router.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 196
OK we need to look at your DHCP settings:
From the red LAN tab(up top) Click on Left Hand side >>DHCP Server Configuration
Post a picture of that screen with DHCP settings for LAN

I am hesitant to help here but it sounds like XP is having network problems too.
Probably related to a mis-configuration of the router..

OK we need to look at your DHCP settings:
From the red LAN tab(up top) Click on Left Hand side >>DHCP Server Configuration
Post a picture of that screen with DHCP settings for LAN

I am hesitant to help here but it sounds like XP is having network problems too.
Probably related to a mis-configuration of the router..
Hi
DHCP Server Configuration Settings for LAN'
1543146672947.png

1543146704841.png

Thanks
Ravi

All those settings look good. The reason I asked for ipconfig from XP is that we can see what address XP is using.

I see your router is using 2 different network IP's.
192.168.2.1 for the secondary network and 192.168.100.1 for the primary.
You windows box is using the secondary IP Pool and is assigned 192.168.2.2 for your XP box.

What device is using the primary IP range? Is this your Wireless network?

The only issue I see is that DNS Server field is blank. Perhaps that needs fixing?

All those settings look good. The reason I asked for ipconfig from XP is that we can see what address XP is using.

I see your router is using 2 different network IP's.
192.168.2.1 for the secondary network and 192.168.100.1 for the primary.
You windows box is using the secondary IP Pool and is assigned 192.168.2.2 for your XP box.

What device is using the primary IP range? Is this your Wireless network?

The only issue I see is that DNS Server field is blank. Perhaps that needs fixing?
Hi
Primary IP is used in wireless networking (Mobile device(s)). The DNS Server field @ my Router is not modifiable neither for Primary nor for Secondary IP!
Most OSes & certain Application Software's (like SAP Server) have install.log file, that logs install process. Is there a way we can access that log file during installation?
Thanks
Ravi

No install log that I am aware of.
How about this. Boot up the FreeBSD installer and go to LiveCD mode instead of install.
Then try an manually bring up the interface and then you might find out what the problem is.
For example:
ifconfig em0 up
dhclient em0

dhclient is the FreeBSD DHCP client.

One common problem I have seen is dhclient gives up trying to get an IP lease too soon.
So you might need to allow dhclient more time to get an IP lease...
Running dhclient from command prompt should show more info.

This usually happens when the router is not configured properly.

One thing I did notice that I had to look up was Option 60 on your routers LAN DHCP settings. It has MSFT 5.0.
It might be worth exploring what the other settings are.
Option 60 generally is what the DHCP server advertises as its provider.

After we get this settled please delete your attachments.
They contain personally identifiable information and eat up forum disk space.

No install log that I am aware of.
How about this. Boot up the FreeBSD installer and go to LiveCD mode instead of install.
Then try an manually bring up the interface and then you might find out what the problem is.
For example:
ifconfig em0 up
dhclient em0

dhclient is the FreeBSD DHCP client.
Hi

While boot up from Live CD with LAN Cable on, command: ifconfig em0 up, returns nothing, moves to command prompt. Whereas command: dhclient -dq em0, returns em0: no link .........................giving up.
Thanks
Ravi

One common problem I have seen is dhclient gives up trying to get an IP lease too soon.
So you might need to allow dhclient more time to get an IP lease...
Running dhclient from command prompt should show more info.

This usually happens when the router is not configured properly.

One thing I did notice that I had to look up was Option 60 on your routers LAN DHCP settings. It has MSFT 5.0.
It might be worth exploring what the other settings are.
Option 60 generally is what the DHCP server advertises as its provider.

After we get this settled please delete your attachments.
They contain personally identifiable information and eat up forum disk space.
Hi
Regarding Option 60 (MSFT 5.0), how do you propose? For me it is just a setting!
Thanks
Ravi

command: ifconfig em0 up, returns nothing, moves to command prompt.
This is normal behavior. If you do ifconfig em0 before and ifconfig em0 after you will see the status change with ifconfig.
You should do that anyway to ensure the the command works as intended.
ifconfig em0
ifconfig em0 inet
ifconfig em0

Whereas command: dhclient -dq em0, returns em0: no link .........................giving up.
What you might need to do is add some more waiting time to dhclient. timeout is the value needed.
The configuration file needs to be modified: /etc/dhclient.conf
mount -o rw /<<Remount memstick installer -LiveCD mode- read-write>>
ee /etc/dhclient.conf <<Note ee is easy editor. Used for creating and editing files.>>
Code:
timeout 120;
Add this line to timeout the seconds you desire. In this case I chose 120 seconds. If needed add more time.

Regarding Option 60 (MSFT 5.0), how do you propose? For me it is just a setting!
Lets save that one. FreeBSD should connect to any DHCP server but who knows......More or less this setting is spoofing the routers DHCP Server into looking like an MS one. Really not needed for FreeBSD so you could blank it. Option 60 is not required for us.

Note:
The good thing about modifying this configuration file is that the memstick installer will use this setting too(Not just in LiveCD mode).
So if a timeout solves this then you will be 'good to go' with a custom installer for slow DHCP servers..

Cleaned up that post. I had my mount/remount command wrong. Must add a -o
Plus memstick installer does run LiveCD mode in read only. So I will change that section.

Cleaned up that post. I had my mount/remount command wrong. Must add a -o
Plus memstick installer does run LiveCD mode in read only. So I will change that section.
Hi
I tried your commands ifconfig shows no change. I cant modify dhclient.conf, mount fails with unknown special file.
Thanks
Ravi

Try it now. The mount did not work as expected. I shortened to mount -o rw /
For some reason mount -o rw /dev/da0s1a / does not work.
Also the ifconfig command needed inet which brings up the interface.

OK I tested every step now. All good. You don't even have to use any ifconfig commands.
Simply using dhclient em0 brings up the interface and gets an IP lease.
You will still need to modify dhclient.conf for additional timeout.

One more note. You should see a status line with ifconfig em0.
The status should indicate active when connected to your router.
This is the hardware link layer showing it negotiated a connection.

Try it now. The mount did not work as expected. I shortened to mount -o rw /
For some reason mount -o rw /dev/da0s1a / does not work.
Also the ifconfig command needed inet which brings up the interface.
Hi
Mount worked successfully. Also I was able to modify dhclient.conf with additional timeout! Command dhclient em0, although took longer than before but still says: em0: no link...............................giving up. The ifconfig em0, status: no carrier!
Thanks
Ravi

Back